BB: Pitcher of the Year Candidates

Started by Jim Dixon, November 07, 2007, 03:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Bob Maxwell on November 12, 2007, 01:18:04 PM

My pick as the preseason pitcher of the year in NY Region is Shane Wolf.

With the summer he had - Wolf has the potential to be a breakout player.

Spence

I'll go with a bit of an out of left field pick and say Wayde Kitchens of Chapman. Only HM AA last year, but he'll be the ace now with Drag out, Chapman should win plenty of games again as well. Still thankful Kitchens didn't throw Game 3 against Marietta two years ago. Maybe we win, maybe not, but it's almost certainly a tougher game.

Aronson is very tough to argue, except that I don't know if he'll get the wins. Same with Kiely, obviously a very good pitcher as well, not sure if he'll have the numbers or the team. Most pitchers of the year play for Series qualifiers, at least since 2003 after highly questionable picks in 2000 and 2002. That's in addition obviously to great ERA numbers.

Dan Remenowsky and Jason Baumler would be good dollar bets as well.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Spence on November 13, 2007, 08:24:47 AM
Most pitchers of the year play for Series qualifiers, at least since 2003

This might be that having a pitcher with a great season is one thing that seems to be a requirement to winning a National Championship.

You have to go back 2002 where an All-American was not on the winning team's pitching staff (and 2001, 1997)

BigPoppa

Quote from: Jim Dixon on November 09, 2007, 06:09:16 PM
Any one wanting to try to rank these pitchers in the Central Region?

non seniors from the 2007 Central region all american list:

Matt Aronson, Ill Wesleyan
Aaron Saeugling, Wartburg
Cody Flynn, Edgewood
Chris krepline, Carthage
Matt Barilla, Loras
Brian Williams, Washington (Mo)
Ryan Hantel, Concordia-Chicago
Jacob Husing, Carthage
Nathan Todd, Luther

I have to put it this way:

1. Matt Aronson- Illinois Wesleyan: Nintendo-like numbers last season that were only tarnished by a post-season game in which he was off.

2-3. Jacob Husing/Chris Krepline- Carthage: Traditionaly have a great offense behind them to make up for "off" outings while still piling up Ws. Hard to differentiate the two and I think their coaches would say the same.

4. Aaron Saeugling- Wartburg: The IIAC's top pitcher. Wartburg usually has a stud arm to ride all season. Expect him to be that guy this year.

5. Jesse Foster- Illinois Wesleyan: All CCIW as a sophomore last season

6. Cody Flynn- Edgewood
7. Nathan Todd- Luther
8. Erik Knott- Augustana
9. Brian Williams- WashU
10. Ryan Hantel- Concordia-Chicago
11. Matt Barilla- Loras

Just my thoughts from talking with coaches/players in the area. Anyone agree or disagree?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Jim Dixon on November 09, 2007, 06:21:36 PM
Any one wanting to try to rank these pitchers in the West Region?

non seniors from the 2007 West regional all american list:

Wayde Kitchens,  Chapman University
Kurt Yacko,  Chapman University 
Ryan Campbell,  Univ. Texas-Tyler 
Brian Clark,  Linfield College 
Brett Brunner,  Pacific Lutheran Univ. 
Zachary Mandelblatt,  Pomona-Pitzer College 
Robby Finnell, Univ. of the Ozarks 
Nick Bratney,  George Fox University 

I've seen all these guys throw with the exception of Brian Clark (Linfield) so when I have a few more minutes to actually sit down and give a credible write up, I'll definitely do that. There's a few other names worth throwing into that mix as well.

Just_Some_Guy

Spence

Quote from: Jim Dixon on November 13, 2007, 01:53:05 PM
Quote from: Spence on November 13, 2007, 08:24:47 AM
Most pitchers of the year play for Series qualifiers, at least since 2003

This might be that having a pitcher with a great season is one thing that seems to be a requirement to winning a National Championship.

You have to go back 2002 where an All-American was not on the winning team's pitching staff (and 2001, 1997)

Chicken or egg question. Not sure how to answer it. Both seem valid though.

Just_Some_Guy

As promised...

1a. Kurt Yacko,  Chapman University  - (5-1  1.74 ERA 103Ks in 82.2 IP and opp avg .234 last year) - You're going to be hard pressed to find a pitcher that is good as he is for an inning or two in division III baseball.  BUT, Yacko did lose some velocity last year after that first inning and a half two innings, both times I saw him.  He becomes a little more vulnerable after that and that's why I can't give him the top spot all to himself.

1b. Wayde Kitchens,  Chapman University - (12-2 2.35 ERA 120Ks in 115 IP and opp avg of .217 last year) - I feel like he'll be the number 1 starting pitcher in the West region, possibly the country. He's just big and overpowering and durable as well.  I felt like his weight would be a problem and he'd fatigue when he came back seemingly more out of shape last year, but it didn't seem to affect him.

2. Ryan Campbell,  Univ. Texas-Tyler (8-1 2.49 ERA .249 against) - The UT-Tyler team lost a lot of guys from in my mind definitely the best bullpen in the country, but they are bringing back all three starters and you could probably give any of the three a mention in this list, but Campbell's the best. He suffered Tyler's only loss last year, and his stuff isn't necessarily better than the others, but he's a lot more mound savvy and often times that takes precedence in my mind. He has great command and good breaking stuff.

3. Brett Brunner,  Pacific Lutheran Univ.  - (7-2 1.94 ERA .253 against) - What a game.  I saw Brunner against Texas Lutheran at the regionals in one of the best college baseball games I've ever seen. There's nothing particularly over powering about it.  He's a composed, crafty lefty. He gave up quite a few hits, but seems to pitch to contact, which is great consider the defense Pac Lu had last year... pretty efficient guy, but not over powering like his ERA might suggest.

4. Nick Bratney,  George Fox University  - (9-3  3.32 ERA .282 against) - Bratney struggled at the end of the year against solid hitting teams Chapman and UT-Dallas. For whatever reason I don't remember a lot about him actually on the bump .

5. Zachary Mandelblatt,  Pomona-Pitzer College - (8-1 3.20 ERA .302 against) - In my opinion Mandelblatt isn't as good as some of the others mentioned here.  I felt like he was a really good hitter who had to pitch a bit out of necessity
He's kind of like Brunner, but not as polished. The average against is evidence that he won a few games thanks to the Hens' sticks, his own included. He also had more walks (31) than K's (28).  He was a young guy so it'll be interesting to see how he develops. He's a solid two-way player, no doubt.

6. Robby Finnell, Univ. of the Ozarks.  - (4-3  2.67 ERA .240 against) - I saw Finnell twice and wasn't particularly impressed either time.  He's another guy that's going to get some pub because he's a two-way guy.  I felt like he was the best all-around pitcher on the Ozarks, but I felt like he pitched like he hit, all or nothing.  He came across as a gutsy competitor but not very polished on the bump.

7. Brian Clark,  Linfield College - (7-2  2.99 ERA .221 against) - Didn't see Brian Clark so I'll withhold judgment.

Those were the guys mentioned by Jim, here are a few others from the ASC I'd keep an eye on:
Blake Booher UTT -  7-0  3.10
Brett Holland UTT -  7-0  3.51

Both of these guys are good pitchers, don't get me wrong, BUT UTT played a pretty weak non-conference schedule last year and the East with the exception of Tyler and Dallas are considerably weaker than the competition out West so it's important to look at what they did against TLU and UT Dallas.  Both showed a little vulnerability against both (though who didn't against UT-Dallas' sticks.) Campbell gave up a bit to TLU, but completely shut down UTD. That's the difference in him and these two.

Logan Hull TLU - 7-2  3.54

Hull is a guy you probably don't get to see much of without the implosion of Kyle Newman last year, especially with Miller's propensity to not use his bullpen much, but when Newman couldn't get the job done Logan Hull stepped up and was a big contributor do the Bulldogs playoff run. He didn't pitch very well against Pomona in the playoffs but keep in mind he was a true freshman.  He DID beat Mississippi in the the rubber game in the 1st round of the ASC playoffs before shutting out McMurry in the ASC championship game. He'll likely be TLU's ace this year.

You could also mention Josh Alcorn (HSU) and R.B. Garza (UMHB) -- They've typically been bullpen guys and Garza looked strained last year when he had to take an expanded roll.  They'll be two to keep an eye on.

McMurry has a few guys to keep an eye on as well Johnston and Curry had pretty good years and are capable of having better seasons this year. Grayson Lee throws it in there pretty good as well,  though both he and Curry will have to obtain some better command. But the guy I really liked on this team was Kyle Martin. He was pretty instrumental to their end of the year success anchoring that bullpen and I'll be interested to see how that carries over.

Let me know if you think there's any I missed if you wonder over from the hoops forums long enough Ralph.

Some_Guy

Ralph Turner

+1 jsg!

Kitchens is the most notable name for me.  McMurry got to Kitchens last year, but that must have been his off-game!

Logan Hull did a great job in shutting McMurry down.  We just could not get any traction in the ASC Tourney against him!

I agree about Finnell.  Is he really that good?  ???  Lots of people think so.

Bratney and GFU are coming to Abilene in February 15-16-17.

UT-Tyler is playing for keeps this year, so they may play even harder.  UT-Tyler played Austin College several times and padded their wins on the Roos.  AC may be stronger as Coach Iwasaki builds that program.

I am curious as to whom Coach Iwasaki at Austin College has found.  He now has an acceptable field on which to play, and there is plenty of talent in that part of the state.

Does Trinity have anyone that we have not heard of?

The West Region is good this year!  That is for sure!

Thanks for the commentary.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 20, 2007, 08:26:36 AM

The West Region is good this year!  That is for sure!

The west is loaded this year. It should be fun to watch Chapman/McMurray this year.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

dgilblair

Quote from: Paul Heering on November 12, 2007, 04:00:30 PM
I tried to cast a little bit of a wider net of pitchers to watch for in New England.  I still don't know if this is even wide enough.  Last year if this list was made before the season it would not have included Eric Smolin who was voted pitcher of the year by NEIBA http://www.neiba.org/allnediv307.htm because he didn't make all conference as a pitcher the previous year when he was 3-4.

But here is the list I came up with, I will add some stats and thoughts later

Shawn Gilblair (ECSU)
Jim Jagodzinski (ECSU)
Jamie Morin (Keene State)

Joe Esposito (ECSU) is a sleeper in the LEC.  If he  gets of to the right start early he could be in the All America running.

dgilblair

Quote from: Jim Dixon on November 09, 2007, 06:21:36 PM
Any one wanting to try to rank these pitchers in the West Region?

non seniors from the 2007 West regional all american list:

Wayde Kitchens,  Chapman University
Kurt Yacko,  Chapman University 
Ryan Campbell,  Univ. Texas-Tyler 
Brian Clark,  Linfield College 
Brett Brunner,  Pacific Lutheran Univ. 
Zachary Mandelblatt,  Pomona-Pitzer College 
Robby Finnell, Univ. of the Ozarks 
Nick Bratney,  George Fox University 

I'll take Kitchens #1
Yacko, two
Mandelblatt, three

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 20, 2007, 08:26:36 AM

I am curious as to whom Coach Iwasaki at Austin College has found.  He now has an acceptable field on which to play, and there is plenty of talent in that part of the state.

Does Trinity have anyone that we have not heard of?

Coach Iwasaki is a really really good coach, and I respect him and his coaching ability more every time I see him in action, and what he's able to get out of guys that I generally don't consider as talent-laden as other teams.

As for Trinity, they were a mystery last year. I would point to the lack of a middle infield last year, and the fact that guys that HAVE to step up and be major players weren't. I loved the way Zabor, Samulski and a few others competed, but they really missed Ryan Cavan.  Hoover going down hurt them defensively, but I'm still not convinced he can swing it.

The reason TLU has seemed to be the ASC power the last couple of years is primarily pitching, don't get me wrong. Newman (until this last year), Enloe and Besa, and prior to that Hunn, Paras and others were a BIG part, but it seems like every year they have a new guy that just steps up and contributes in a BIG way... Who saw Kyle Harvey coming last year? Also, FR Ryan Nokelby had a solid season -- Much in the same way we saw Yurchik, Weston Franco fill holes for McMurry.

ANYWAY, back to Trinity's pitching.  Prior to the start of last year i would've said they had the BEST pitching staff in the West.  They still have guys like Bronson, Bignall, Poffenroth and Oates on that roster. Then they have guys that were freshman last year Hunter and Bukowski.

Starting with the youngest guys I think that Hunter has the ability to be the real deal, but like so many of these Trinity guys have command issues.  Hunter throws HARD, but he's got to have better command.  Bukowski I felt like was a little bit of smoke and mirrors last year.  He had pretty decent breaking stuff, but I don't know.  I just don't think he's as good as his stats.

Poffenroth and Bignall throw it in there pretty well also.  Bronson is a little more of a finesse guy than those two, but I think all three had issues with working from behind some last year -- and you just can't do that against the elite hitting teams in the West.

Finally, Oates.  What can you say about Oates?  IF he has a full year completely healthy he's capable of being mentioned next to Kitchens and those guys, but there's so many IFs the last couple of years. He hasn't been healthy for a full year since his freshman year. He's got plus velocity and a good slider.  He carved up UMHB in his first start last year, then seemed tender in his next outing. He had 55 Ks in 39 innings his sophomore year.

What can he do when he's healthy?

7-0   2.62 ERA 70 Ks in 55 IP, .187 against his freshman year.

Gilbair, I'd be interested on hearing why you think Mandelblatt is the 3rd best pitcher in the west?  I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just interested in an opposing opinion.

JSG

dgilblair

Gilbair, I'd be interested on hearing why you think Mandelblatt is the 3rd best pitcher in the west?  I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just interested in an opposing opinion.

JSG

[/quote]

I saw him play in 06 and preety much just a hunch.  I could be way off, but you gotta pick someone. 

Really picking the Chapman guys is just like betting on a 2 to 1 shot at the track.  They are the favorites....I think they are anyway.

dgilblair

Yacko being my # 2 pick is only because I think they my put him in as a starter.....just a big guess there.  Good chance I'm wrong.  If they don't not sure he will be in the running then.  Does anyone else think thta he could be a starter in 08.

hitforthecycle

I see Yacko in the same role as last year.  His bat is far too valuable and he's somewhat of a max effort guy who is very effective for one, two or even three innings.  Also, the schools in warmer weather such as Chapman are able to spread their games out over a longer period of time as opposed to cold weather programs that start late and have to play the same amount of games in a shorter period of time.  Therefore, the cold weather programs require a deeper rotation and don't have the advantage of playing basically on weekends and being able to throw their number one, two and maybe three every game.  They can also use their three, four and five guys in the rotation as their bullpen.  Explains why schools such as Chapman can have a two man rotation all year, must be nice!  Kitchens and Drag threw 115 and 119 innings respectively and the next closest guy had 82 and after him 55.  I'd love to see these schools be forced to play a schedule where they couldn't rely on two or three guys all year and see how things change.  I know there was talk of a uniform start date at the D1 level but I'm not sure when it starts but it should apply to all divisions to be fair and keep things on an even keel.