FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on June 07, 2020, 04:56:18 PM
Austerity cuts many D1 programs

https://www.dyestat.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=44531&do=news&news_id=603649-List-Of-NCAA-Division-1-Athletics-Programs-Cut-In-2020&utm_content=buffer6fd8a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Quote from:  List Compiled by Erik Boal, DyeStat Editor

Here is a chronological list of universities at the NCAA Division 1 level that have cut athletic programs in response to the economic downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

April 2: Old Dominion - Wrestling

April 14: Cincinnati - Men's Soccer

April 24: Wisconsin-Green Bay - Men's and Women's Tennis

May 6: Florida International University - Men's Indoor Track and Field

May 14: Akron - Men's Cross Country, Men's Golf and Women's Tennis

May 15: Bowling Green - Baseball

May 18: Furman - Baseball and Men's Lacrosse

May 19: Central Michigan - Men's Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field

May 21: East Carolina - Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving, Men's and Women's Tennis

May 26: Appalachian State - Men's Indoor Track and Field, Men's Soccer and Men's Tennis

May 28: Brown - Men's Cross Country, Men's Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field, Men's and Women's Fencing, Men's and Women's Golf, Men's and Women's Squash, Women's Equestrian and Women's Skiing (all transitioning from varsity to club sports, framed by the Excellence In Brown Athletics Initiative)

June 3: Wright State - Softball, Men's and Women's Tennis

Yikes, for Brown.  I guess I figured with Brown being in the Ivy League they would be virtually unaffected by all this.  Or, maybe that whole "Excellence in Brown Athletics Initiative" is just a way for them to keep athletics but make it look like they are a school that focuses on academics over athletics. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

formerd3db

doolittle:

You outlined all that very well. I would just add that, for some DII schools who are able to offer/spread out the entire allotment of scholarships for all the players on the roster, it does make the difference in choice for some players at least initially.  For example, one school, whose Tuition/R&B, etc. was about $19,900  2-3 years ago, providing a "full ride" for fb ($9,000 made the decision for some families as unless their son received at least half of the total cost at some DIII schools in a ademic and community scholarships or their parents could afford sending them to that school without any financial aid (which does happen) they chose the DII offer simply because they could not afford to go to the DIII school ( all other factors being equal i.e. choice of major, interest from the coaching staff, and potential for playing opportunity/time, etc.). This situation has hurt recruiting at several of the DIII schools in Michigan and the region in recent years, many of the coaching staffs will tell you privately. I've seen this happen.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

Yeah, I just read that Brown Initiative For Athletics document and article as well. I thought the same as you.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

jknezek

The Brown thing is not really related to COVID. It's been a long time coming and really about a change of focus at the institution.

formerd3db

Quote from: jknezek on June 07, 2020, 06:49:10 PM
The Brown thing is not really related to COVID. It's been a long time coming and really about a change of focus at the institution.

Although I just read the Initiative as I mentioned, I knew a little about what you relate as one of my good friends is a former assistant coach at Brown (and UMass), now retired.

5 Words or Less

BVU adds rodeo, cuts chemistry

Quote from:  Storm Lake Radio
The Buena Vista University Board of Trustees accepted several recommendations for program closures, including the chemistry and theatre majors, as well as the elimination of several faculty positions.
https://stormlakeradio.com/news/2020/05/26/bvu-program-evaluation-results

Micah Barnes made history at Buena Vista University when she participated in collegiate rodeo as a junior, believed to be the first BVU student-athlete to compete in the sport under the auspices of the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association ... "I chose BVU because of its strong School of Science ??? and the fact I'd be able to play basketball,"

Younger sister, Mary Barnes, joined the team in its second year of club competition, Micah's senior year. Their father, Marty Barnes, of Barnes PRCA Rodeo coached the team.
https://stormlakeradio.com/news/2020/05/18/bvus-barnes-made-history-in-rodeo

5 Words or Less

Rodeo Cowboys outearn Chemists  :o

Quote from:  Simply Hired - https://www.simplyhired.com
    Average Annual Salaries:
    • Rodeo Cowboy, $71,261
    • Chemist, $66,109
[/list]

hazzben

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on June 10, 2020, 02:23:29 PM

Average Annual Salaries:
    • Rodeo Cowboy, $71,261
    • Chemist, $66,109
[/list]

Rodeo is a science, not an art. That, and wranglers are cooler than lab coats.

doolittledog

Quote from: hazzben on June 10, 2020, 02:36:40 PM

Average Annual Salaries:
    • Rodeo Cowboy, $71,261
    • Chemist, $66,109
[/list]

I would imagine chemists have a longer career than your typical rodeo cowboy...but I am most often wrong when I just assume things ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

hazzben

Quote from: doolittledog on June 10, 2020, 02:42:08 PM
Quote from: hazzben on June 10, 2020, 02:36:40 PM

Average Annual Salaries:
    • Rodeo Cowboy, $71,261
    • Chemist, $66,109
[/list]

I would imagine chemists have a longer career than your typical rodeo cowboy...but I am most often wrong when I just assume things ;)

Very true, but I'll bet rodeo is more of Babe Ruth lifestyle. Chicks dig the longball (or the big belt buckle, as it were)   ;)

Outside the Crate

Wartburg's president reported that they have already received more deposits than their goal for fall.  That's surely good news for them, but they say they're still "holding their breath."  At this point, they are thinking of opening a week early and concluding the fall term at Thanksgiving.

formerd3db

Quote from: Outside the Crate on June 10, 2020, 11:45:48 PM
Wartburg's president reported that they have already received more deposits than their goal for fall.  That's surely good news for them, but they say they're still "holding their breath."  At this point, they are thinking of opening a week early and concluding the fall term at Thanksgiving.

Indeed, that is  good news for them. I posted on one of the other boards a couple of weeks ago or so that Hope, also, had exceeded their goal of 800 for the upcoming freshman class by 60 students- all deposits in at this point. That includes the 40 players in this year's football recruiting class, which will keep the team at 100 players (or in the 90s with attrition). The latter sure is far different then just a few years ago when we (and many other schools) were having a total of 140-150 players out for the team, but, obviously, this is the sign of this new era.

As you noted Wartburg's president mentioning, however, there is still some caution/concern as yet until classes actually start in August and Hope's president mentioned the same sentiments in the "Town Hall" webcast a couple weeks ago. Hope is considering the similar model as Wartburg as far as on campus students and a revised and shortened fall class/semester schedule, although there may be some on-line offerings as well for backup (I suspect that most schools have that as a backup plan as well-certainly those who have announced plans for a hybrid model have, obviously.)

Finally, I also suspect that we will have a decision from our league as to fall sports by the end of the month, including safety protocols and guidelines. As you said though, everyone here is "holding their breath" also because anything could happen in the next 4-6 weeks.

Schipper Strong

Just listened to a podcast from June 11 between Trevor Castle who is the Voice of the Dutch and George Wares, softball coach about their guesses and theories on sports this year. Interesting podcast, but it is still anybody's guess what will happen. Currently the football team is scheduled to play the first two games in Michigan. If virus cases are up and rising at that time in Michigan they may make the call not to go, but look if there were other Iowa or nearby teams such as Augustana that may have been scheduled to play somewhere they decided not to go and have a last minute shuffle of the schedule. It would certainly be the year to be open to things like that. I think they also mentioned schools only had to play 2/3 of their schedule to qualify for playoffs and questioned how the conference would decide automatic bids if seasons were not completed. It was interesting though speculative.

Pat Coleman

Schools only have to play five football games to qualify for the playoffs this year.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

doolittledog

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 13, 2020, 09:27:43 PM
Schools only have to play five football games to qualify for the playoffs this year.
Say team A shuts it down and they are 5-0. Teams B, C, and D each go 9-1. Could team A claim to be the conference champ and should get the AQ?