2. Carthage
3. Augustana
4. IWU
5. Wheaton
6. NPU
7. Carroll
8. Elmhurst
9. Millikin

Is the CCIW post-season a four-team affair or has it expanded to six? I see the CCIW as a two-bid conference this year with NCC and Carthage earning NCAA bids.

Other thoughts?

CCIW Tourney field is expanded to 6 starting this year! I also feel like Wheaton is going to be better this year IF they can keep the injury bug from attacking them again. Last year was pretty ridiculous. I'm pretty sure NCC lost the bat of Wicz (no idea how to spell his name) to graduation along with Martha who got drafted. If so, they lost their two biggest bats and I'd be interested to see where their offenseive production will come from. Otherwise I think your prediction on the standings is pretty accurate for the most part.

Baseball is always a weird season and I feel like someone is going to surprise us. Just a question of which someone that'll be. Last year it was North Park!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 11, 2019, 09:19:15 AM
Any CCIW predictions????? Here is how I see it shaking out:

1. NCC
2. Carthage
3. Augustana
4. IWU
5. Wheaton
6. NPU
7. Carroll
8. Elmhurst
9. Millikin

Is the CCIW post-season a four-team affair or has it expanded to six? I see the CCIW as a two-bid conference this year with NCC and Carthage earning NCAA bids.

Other thoughts?

Wow, you're really down on NPU, aren't you, BP?

Barring injury, this is going to be the best Vikings pitching staff since the glory days of what I used to call "the Spaghetti Staff" of Mike Giovenco, Pete Sparacino, and Nick Soldano back at the beginning of the decade. Starting pitching should be the team's strongest aspect. The day-to-day lineup among the position players ought to be solid, with an extra premium on speed now that NPU has a healthy Jared Cantu back at the top of the order and roaming the outfield with the likewise speedy Niko Buck. The middle of the order will be anchored by one of the best hitters in the region in Cullen Gilbertson. And I know that Luke Johnson is really excited about being able to pencil in Augustana transfer Jake Reinhardt on the lineup card every day, and transfer 3b Ranko Stevanovic (Triton) created a lot of buzz in fall practice with his power.

I think that you're selling NPU short.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

lmitzel

Happy coaches' poll day!

North Central is your pick to win with 60 points and 5 first place votes. Carthage in second with 56 and 2, Augie in 3rd with 47 and 1. Wheaton has the remaining first place vote and is picked to finish 6th.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Gregory Sager

NPU is going to have its work cut out for it in Friday's opener against Huntingdon down in Montgomery. The Hawks are already 3-0 and have outscored their opponents by a 16-1 margin. Hawks pitchers have held opposing batters to a .198 BA and have struck out 26 batters in 27 innings. The guy whom I suspect will be on the mound against the Vikings threw a three-hit complete-game shutout in Huntingdon's opener, striking out eight without allowing a walk.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

BigPoppa

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 11, 2019, 12:49:39 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on February 11, 2019, 09:19:15 AM
Any CCIW predictions????? Here is how I see it shaking out:

1. NCC
2. Carthage
3. Augustana
4. IWU
5. Wheaton
6. NPU
7. Carroll
8. Elmhurst
9. Millikin

Other thoughts?

Wow, you're really down on NPU, aren't you, BP?

Barring injury, this is going to be the best Vikings pitching staff since the glory days of what I used to call "the Spaghetti Staff" of Mike Giovenco, Pete Sparacino, and Nick Soldano back at the beginning of the decade. Starting pitching should be the team's strongest aspect. The day-to-day lineup among the position players ought to be solid, with an extra premium on speed now that NPU has a healthy Jared Cantu back at the top of the order and roaming the outfield with the likewise speedy Niko Buck. The middle of the order will be anchored by one of the best hitters in the region in Cullen Gilbertson. And I know that Luke Johnson is really excited about being able to pencil in Augustana transfer Jake Reinhardt on the lineup card every day, and transfer 3b Ranko Stevanovic (Triton) created a lot of buzz in fall practice with his power.

I think that you're selling NPU short.
I may be selling them short but my predictions are eeirly close to the CCIW COaches' Poll... with just NPU and Wheaton flipped in the 5/6 slots... top four were correct.

By the way... that NPU staff was loaded! And the insane ability for that offense to draw HBPs!
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Gregory Sager

Not a very auspicious opening day to 2019 for the Vikings. They were hammered in the early game by preseason #2 UW-Whitewater, 13-1, and blew an early lead in the second game that eventually got away from them, as Huntingdon cruised to a 16-3 win.

Fortunately, the very early start to this season gives them time to get their act together. Tomorrow they play Spaulding -- which actually knocked off UWW today -- before coming home to NPU.

npbaseball40

In the only other games so far, Millikin dropped three against Hendrix College.

One of the league's returning starting pitchers, Connor Gross, only made it 3.2 innings in the Big Blue's season opener. 3 BB's, 7 hits, a hbp and 5 ER.

Augustana beat Bates College today (2/19) by a score of 6-4. Powers: 7IP, 1 earnie, no walks, and scattered 7 hits. They'll play Bates three more times in the next three days...

Elmhurst, North Central, and Carroll all open up their season this Saturday.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: npbaseball40 on February 20, 2019, 01:17:53 AMAugustana beat Bates College today (2/19) by a score of 6-4. Powers: 7IP, 1 earnie, no walks, and scattered 7 hits. They'll play Bates three more times in the next three days...

Greg Wallace did this same weird scheduling thing two years ago, when he had Augustana start off in Florida with four straight games against Brandeis.

npbaseball40

Quote from: npbaseball40 on February 20, 2019, 01:17:53 AM

One of the league's returning starting pitchers, Connor Gross, only made it 3.2 innings in the Big Blue's season opener. 3 BB's, 7 hits, a hbp and 5 ER.

One of the league's top* returning starting pitchers, that is

mwunder

I wonder if Sheldon or Leonard will be at the Carthage opener on the 2nd in AZ.

npbaseball40

NPU baseball bounced back with two wins this past weekend, and a near-win against Birmingham Southern - 5-6.

In yesterday's game, the Vikings were hit by ten pitches as a team, tying the second-most all-time for NCAA DIII baseball. Niko Buck was hit 4 times, which also ties for the second-most all-time. He was actually hit a fifth time, but the umpire ruled he did not make an effort to turn away from the pitch... he later singled in that same at-bat, reaching base 6 times in the game.

Freshman Tyler Banks slammed the door against DePauw, working 2.1 innings of perfect relief with no hits or walks.

A good bounce-back weekend for NPU.

Carroll committed 10 errors in a doubleheader against Sewanee, thus losing both games. Augustana and North Central have won all their games since this board's last post. IWU, Elmhurst, Carthage, and Wheaton all have season-openers this Saturday.

duckfan41

Wheaton actually plays this Friday as well. Single game Friday at Covenant, double header Saturday against Covenant. All three down at Covenant

Gregory Sager

Quote from: npbaseball40 on February 25, 2019, 02:54:40 PM
NPU baseball bounced back with two wins this past weekend, and a near-win against Birmingham Southern - 5-6.

In yesterday's game, the Vikings were hit by ten pitches as a team, tying the second-most all-time for NCAA DIII baseball. Niko Buck was hit 4 times, which also ties for the second-most all-time. He was actually hit a fifth time, but the umpire ruled he did not make an effort to turn away from the pitch... he later singled in that same at-bat, reaching base 6 times in the game.

I'm going to start referring to Niko as the Craig Biggio of the CCIW.

duckfan41

Wheaton won game one of their twin bill at Covenant 3-1 behind the trusty arm of Michael McCraith who went 7 scoreless fanning 15 and allowing 1 hit with 2 walks. Evan Ogden provided what proved to be the winning runs with a double in the top of the 2nd inning. Covenant scratched across their only run of the game off of sophomore reliever Sam Arnold in the 8th, but freshmen Kevin Champlin closed the door with a 4 out save. Solid start for the Thunder! Last I checked in on game 2, Covenant was up 2-1 in the second inning against Thunder starter Christian Boulhuis making his return from TJ surgery that he had last spring.

mwunder

Carthage starts the season 2-0 with a pair of wins over the CalTech Beavers Saturday and Sunday.  Game one was 6-2 and game two was 15-5.  Pasquale Atteo threw well in game one going 5 and allowing 2 earner.  Hanik came in a threw 4 shutout innings for the win.  Game two saw the Red Men bats come alive with Colton Klien leading the way with 4 hits in 6 ABs.  Kramer and Farley had 2 hits a piece and Farley had 4RBIs.  Today they play Wabash and Aurora.