Eastern Collegiate Football Conference

Started by ccd494, August 24, 2009, 09:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NED3Guy

I might be wrong, but I think Husson's win at Castleton last weekend locks up Husson as the ECFC champion. (Undefeated in conference with one game left, and head to head win over the other potential one loss team)

Congrats to Husson for finishing their time in the ECFC at the top.

Ice Bear

Quote from: NED3Guy on October 30, 2018, 07:12:30 PM
I might be wrong, but I think Husson's win at Castleton last weekend locks up Husson as the ECFC champion. (Undefeated in conference with one game left, and head to head win over the other potential one loss team)

DB echoes this. He is so impressed with how Husson has become a really decent football program. He always roots for them and wished them the best!
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Pat Coleman

This isn't true yet. Gallaudet has one loss and has two games left, against Husson and SUNY-Maritime, the other two teams with one loss. One Husson win or one Gallaudet loss will clinch the AQ, however.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NED3Guy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 30, 2018, 08:07:28 PM

This isn't true yet. Gallaudet has one loss and has two games left, against Husson and SUNY-Maritime, the other two teams with one loss. One Husson win or one Gallaudet loss will clinch the AQ, however.

Good catch on that. I'd forgotten / overlook GU. Nice to have meaningful end of season games coming up. Tall task ahead for the Bison, covering A LOT of miles on I-95 this weekend as they head to Bangor, but stranger things have happened.

Would really be something if they find a way to win this weekend, and SUNY is playing them next weekend with Husson's AQ on the line.

ccd494

While a close conference race would be nice, just looking at common opponents:

DEAN: Husson +32, Gallaudet -32 (difference 64)
CASTLETON: Husson +48, Gallaudet +10 (difference 38)
ALFRED STATE: Husson +42, Gallaudet +4 (difference 38)
ANNA MARIA: Husson +40, Gallaudet +20 (difference 20)

Common opponents and the transitive property doesn't necessarily mean much, but that's a wide gap.  I think Gallaudet is well behind both Maritime and Dean.

NED3Guy

Quote from: ccd494 on October 31, 2018, 10:25:05 AM
While a close conference race would be nice, just looking at common opponents:

DEAN: Husson +32, Gallaudet -32 (difference 64)
CASTLETON: Husson +48, Gallaudet +10 (difference 38)
ALFRED STATE: Husson +42, Gallaudet +4 (difference 38)
ANNA MARIA: Husson +40, Gallaudet +20 (difference 20)

Common opponents and the transitive property doesn't necessarily mean much, but that's a wide gap.  I think Gallaudet is well behind both Maritime and Dean.

Agreed- We're probably just delaying the inevitable.

ECFC Power Rankings (as we see it today)
1) Husson
2) SUNY

3) Dean

4) Gallaudet

5) AMCAT U
6 / 7) Alfred State / Castleton

ccd494

NED3Guy

Wow. Husson firing on all cylinders heading into the NCAAs. Plymouth next weekend will be a nice test before the first round.

Sounds like the other two ecfc games today were pretty wild; both two point games that came down to the wire with the winning team needing to make a last minute stop to hold on.

Congrats to Alfred State on the win.
Congrats to CU RB Harris on becoming the Spartans all time leader in total yards in their loss to Dean today (*credit CU Twitter for that one).

SUNY played FCS opponent Hampton today. It went about as you'd expect. Cool of them to take on that challenge during the Mustang bye week.

NED3Guy

Last week of the year for the ECFC. Been a pretty standard year in the league. Things played out as expected at the top. There was a little shakeup at the bottom.

Here is the pre-season poll:
Complete 2018 ECFC Coaches Preseason Poll

Total Points
1. Husson University (6)       48
2. SUNY Maritime (1)               42
3. Castleton University       35
4. Dean College                       26
5. Gallaudet University       24
6. Alfred State College       12
7. Anna Maria College               10
(First-Place votes in parentheses)

Here are current standings:

Husson (6-0)
SUNY (4-1)
Dean (3-2)
Gall U (3-2)
Alfred State (1-4)
AMCATs (1-4)
Sparty (0-5)

A few thoughts about each teams-

Husson is better than everybody else. Dominated the league the past few years and is on to bigger things. Good luck in NCAA's...maybe a trip to RPI?

SUNY is better than everybody but Husson and should be the power team in the league moving forward. I believe Coach D is working as an interim HC right now. Hopefully they do the right thing, take care of him and lock in him for the long haul. He is a good football coach, and a really good man. He was a part of building the program a few years back and is the right guy to keep building it moving forward.

Dean has a good thing going and will be in the top two now that Husson is gone. I'm curious to see if Dean benefits from the closing out Mt Ida, as I think their schools attracted similar football players. One less school to compete with should lead to better yields in recruiting.

Gallaudet sort of did what was expected of them this year. I'll be honest, I never know what to think of this team. I think they are such a unique place with a finite number of guys they can go after, it'll be up and down every few years.

AMCAT U put together a good 60 minutes against Castleton (maybe not a full 60, but they got it done), then played SUNY tougher than most expected, and lost a tight one with Alfred State....AMCAT U is on the rise. New Coach is doing a great job, and from all accounts has built a PROGRAM there. I'm excited to see what he has planned for the future.

Alfred State- tight losses to Rochester and Gallaudet have these guys sitting with 1 win, heading into this week. After some program wide turmoil in the past year, hiring of the current coach in March, I think this program is on the right track. Maybe another lean year ahead as they missed a few recruiting cycles with coaching changes; but I think this team surprises people in a few years.

Castleton.....I don't know what to think. Picked to finish 3rd in be preseason coaches poll, now sitting winless in conference heading into the final weekend. This team was young in key spots this year, but still will graduate around 10 starters (including former all ECFC QB an RB). Hopefully this is blip on the radar for Sparty and not a sign of a downward spiraling program.   

NED3Guy

ECFC NEWS-

PER FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM:

SUNY Maritime (D-III): Per source, SUNY Maritime has hired Mickey Rehring, who was previously the defensive coordinator at Johns Hopkins (D-III – MD), to lead the program. He steps in for Vincent DiGeatano, who accepted the interim head coach role shortly before the season and led the team to a 7-3 mark and a post season bowl game against Springfield College.

ITH radio

Mixed feelings on this move. Wishing Coach DiG the best.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

G-manWU

NED3Guy

Castleton posted an opening for their DC job recently. Not sure where current DC is heading, but it's the second off season in a row that the Spartans have needed to fill a coordinator job.
After a down year in Vermont, hopefully the Spartans make a good hire and get some stability in their staff.