Compelling reasons to move from D3 to D2?

Started by LM3, August 29, 2017, 09:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gray Fox on December 19, 2017, 08:05:32 PM
Ralph,
That is a good thing. 

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 06, 2017, 11:43:33 AM
Quote from: NEPAFAN on December 06, 2017, 11:01:45 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 05, 2017, 09:28:57 PM
There are always schools considering the move... just not sure if they will or won't.

Most have to get their applications in by early January for a decision to then be made. That is why this time of the year is popular for these kinds of reports, speculation, rumors, etc.

Personally, not many DIIIs have moved on to DII and it done anything more than be a blimp on the radar.

UT-Tyler is not the only one considering this right now. Benedictine (Ill.) has a decision coming from their board of trustees this week.

Blimp on the radar lol, that is a new one.

Chestnut Hill has successfully moved from D3 to D2 in the Philly region FWIW.

Great. You named one. I can name another Philly area school that has basically disappeared: Lincoln.

I can also name schools like McMurry who have returned with their tail between their legs. Or Rowan who keeps talking that they are going on to DII (with hopes to move on to DI) and can't the process started.

A lot of schools have left DIII for DII. Not many make headlines. Same can be said in reverse, especially in the modern era.
Thinking of the schools that have gone to D2?  Lincoln PA, Maryville MO, Lake Erie, Chestnut Hill, any other?
Making the move to D2 is hard, very hard, and involves changing many more things than scholarship athletics. If you look at data on resource allocation for athletics for D3 versus D2 alone, we are talking millions of dollars! Plus, there are so many other things involved in D2  that schools must accomplish for the move to be successful.

When you fail, it is tough, too.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 20, 2017, 12:20:27 AM
Thinking of the schools that have gone to D2?  Lincoln PA, Maryville MO, Lake Erie, Chestnut Hill, any other?

Chowan, Mansfield State, Lock Haven, UC-San Diego, Lane, LeMoyne-Owen, Sonoma State, Stanislaus State, San Bernardino State, Ashland, Slippery Rock ... if I thought about it some more, I could come up with others.

Chowan's the only one I've named that's switched within the last decade and a half.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Warren Thompson

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 20, 2017, 12:38:38 AM

Chowan, Mansfield State, Lock Haven, UC-San Diego, Lane, LeMoyne-Owen, Sonoma State, Stanislaus State, San Bernardino State, Ashland, Slippery Rock ... if I thought about it some more, I could come up with others.

Chowan's the only one I've named that's switched within the last decade and a half.

Westminster (PA) was a power in NAIA D2, then switched to NCAA D2, and finally "came home" to NCAA D3 -- all this within the last decade and a half, I think.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Lincoln and McMurray switched in the last decade in a half as well... though, I realize not on your list. :)

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 19, 2017, 07:55:55 PM
Grey Fox, speaking to the McMurry situation, when McMurry administration was told by the consultant, a former NCAA executive, that the university could get a "better" student-athlete by moving to D2, and Hal Mumme was talking about going to D-2 as the only private football playing school in Texas, McMurry admission personnel were now getting to talk to student-athletes in Highland Park Dallas, Round Rock schools, Lake Travis, etc.  That was a big difference.

Well... when talking to a number of people who knew the McMurray case well... Hal Mumme also sold a bill of goods. Promises of an easy transition including a year or two taken off the transition years... and other things. I have had some enlightening conversations about Mumme's role in all of this as well.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 20, 2017, 10:40:08 AM

Lincoln and McMurray switched in the last decade in a half as well... though, I realize not on your list. :)

Ralph had already named Lincoln, and since he's "Mr. McMurry" on d3boards.com I didn't think it would be necessary for me to name his alma mater. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well I had named Lincoln as well.. but I wasn't sure where you might have been headed... so just crossing Ts. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

smedindy

UC - San Diego tried to get to D-1 but didn't get an invite (they were hoping the WAC or the Big West). They also thought about football as well. They have a grant that will expire soon if they don't move to D-1.

Cal Baptist is moving to D-1 and joining the WAC next year.

I don't see a lot of other California schools moving now - the state schools at least.

Caz Bombers

Quote from: smedindy on December 20, 2017, 02:39:27 PM

UC - San Diego tried to get to D-1 but didn't get an invite (they were hoping the WAC or the Big West). They also thought about football as well. They have a grant that will expire soon if they don't move to D-1.

Cal Baptist is moving to D-1 and joining the WAC next year.

I don't see a lot of other California schools moving now - the state schools at least.

UCSD got its invitation to the Big West last month (along with CSU Bakersfield from the WAC) and is going up in 2020.

smedindy

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI - UT-Tyler has announced, apparently, that they are pursuing DII.

justafan12

News was very confusing during the day regarding this.  Best I can tell is UTT has completed the application but has not submitted it yet.  Articles were also mentioning football could happen if they go D2.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Here is how this goes... Tyler is moving forward with applying to DII. The deadline is not until Feb. 1, so they may not have submitted it yet... not surprising.

The process than goes:
- Public list of schools interest is posted by the NCAA (DII) in February after the applications are accepted.
- The NCAA (DII) will spend the next few months going through the applications, conducting site visits, and more.
- Sometime this summer (probably in June; prior to July 1 is my educated guess), the NCAA (DII) announces whose applications have been accepted - I am told that DII does NOT always accept applications. (DIII has a four-school maximum for any given year, but DII sounds more exclusive than that.)
- Should Tyler be accepted by DII, they will continue to compete in DIII next academic year (2019-20), but are NOT eligible for NCAA tournaments. From what I have gathered, they will remain in the ASC and part of the schedule. I am not sure if they will be eligible for the ASC tournaments.

Hope that all makes sense.

justafan12

Story I heard was in the first year of reclassifying (2019), UTT would play a combination of D2 and D3 schools and would not be eligible for ASC tournament.  From there on out, they would play a D2 schedule within their new conference.

From what I know about UTT, there facilities are top notch and they have a very well run athletic department.  I would highly doubt they would not be accepted.