FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

Quote from: voice on January 28, 2015, 10:55:43 PM
I got some really good news on the cancer front today. Got word today from my Oncologist that I'm making "significant" progress in my battle vs. liver cancer." maybe I can relax now and get back to taking life a day at a time!"

Good news.  I hope you get more.  And as for relaxing, some inspiration from a classic: Mr Billy Ray Valentine.

Louis: Looking good, Billy Ray!
Billy Ray: Feeling good, Louis!
[  

bleedpurple

I got some really good news on the cancer front today. Got word today from my Oncologist that I'm making "significant" progress in my battle vs. liver cancer." maybe I can relax now and get back to taking life a day at a time!"

Great news Voice!! ;D :)

bleedpurple

I have one serious question for you, Wally.  If Coach Raeburn gets the UW-W job, does that mean you will be continuing to post here at this rate?  Because if it does, I'm seriously considering driving to Whitewater tonight because that CAN'T HAPPEN! 

If you and Emma get bottled up on the same board too many more times, the rest of us won't survive!  ;)

Pat Coleman

It's January -- it's not like we have games to talk about ...
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

WarhawkDad

Quote from: OzJohnnie on January 28, 2015, 11:56:53 PM

Good news.  I hope you get more.  And as for relaxing, some inspiration from a classic: Mr Billy Ray Valentine.

Louis: Looking good, Billy Ray!
Billy Ray: Feeling good, Louis!
Outstanding news Voice!   Thanks for sharing with us.

WarHawkDad
Six Time National Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014

2013  WIAC PICKEM CHAMPION

"Pound The Rock!!!"

OzJohnnie

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 29, 2015, 12:44:21 AM
It's January -- it's not like we have games to talk about ...

There's nothing like a little Monty Python to cheer the air: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdoGVgj1MtY

I often think that everything in life has been commented on by Monty Python and Seinfeld.  Maybe thrown Norm from Cheers in to cover marriage and we have Aristotle for Dummies complete.
[  

02 Warhawk

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 28, 2015, 11:08:54 PM
Quote from: voice on January 28, 2015, 10:57:45 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on January 28, 2015, 10:52:11 PM
I get that you think Leipold Andy Dufresne'd his way from Whitewater to Buffalo and then collapsed the tunnel behind him.  I just don't think that logic holds water. 

I also don't think that getting a Gene Wojceichowski piece on Gameday is the thing that gets you a job in FBS.  Winning gets you jobs.  Lots and lots of winning.

Wally, Are you serious??

Six championships and a 95% win rate is nice, but without a Gameday piece there is no job at Buffalo? Really?

If I'm not mistaking, the Buffalo AD admitted that the Gameday piece got his attention. So I think there's some truth to that. No coincidence that Buffalo reached out to him (not the other way around) a week after the segment was aired on ESPN.

footballfan413

FANTASTIC news, Voice!!!  So thrilled to hear this!   Continued prayers!

Carry on, Gentlemen.  Having been in the weeds with 17 recently, I'm sure one of your, "opinions," will, "win," this discussion, eventually.   ;) :D ;D
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: emma17 on January 28, 2015, 09:43:21 PM
Am I to understand that my point is only valid if I can actually identify a coach by name that I think made the decision not to apply?
Wouldn't that require me knowing the coach personally? 
How in the heck can my point only be validated by providing the actual name of a coach that didn't apply? 

Your point isn't only valid if you can identify a name, but it certainly would bolster your position.  See, this is usually how things work.  If you make a bold claim that many coaches chose not to apply to UWW because they didn't see it as a good place to further their D1 prospects, it seems fair to ask for an example or two, even if they're only speculative.  You'll note that I already gave you the pass of saying that you wouldn't be right on every guy because you don't know them, that was the whole point...but surely if there are many of these guys, you can take a few guesses.

Oz even did you a solid by starting the conversation.  Vince Kehres may have D1 ambitions, but preferred the idea of remaining at Mount, reasoning that if he wins his own set of national titles there, he may someday get that opportunity (and if he prefers to remain at Mount for the duration of his career, one could hardly blame him for that).  Glenn Caruso made a Stagg Bowl where he is, and may believe that if he can get UST to the promised land one day a D1 phone may ring. 

Digging a bit further into the top 25, Linfield HC Joe Smith is an alum and in all probability is staying put.  UMHB coach Pete Fredenburg started that program, so he's probably staying put.  So they would probably support your position, or just be neutral cases - they're never leaving those posts for another D3 job, and probably never leaving, period, unless they get their own D1 phone call.

See what I'm asking for?  I didn't even call Joe or Pete to ask if they plan on going D1 someday.  It's just fun conversation.  Who else, perhaps, is a highly qualified coach that wants to go D1 someday, but thinks they have a better chance of going D1 staying put than putting their name into the UWW search?

And if that's a valid argument from your side, I'll turn it around and ask you and all the other hard heads the same damn question.
Provide me with a specific example of a coach that applied for the UWW job because he viewed it as an excellent stepping off opportunity to D1.   

See, here's a funny thing: I never said that the candidates who did apply for the job all did so because they viewed it as furthering their D1 prospects.  Yes, I believe that taking the UWW job would enhance the prospects of a Dean Paul or Erik Raeburn if D1 HC is their ultimate goal, but I have never said that is actually why they applied.  You're the one who has explicitly said the following...

But what I absolutely believe is that there are likely many highly qualified coaches (D2 non HC's, D3 HC's and assistants) with D1 aspirations that don't believe the UWW job is the best route for them to achieve their goal.   

And, again, I ask for an example, even if just a few speculative ones.  Like I've said several times by now - I'm aware that you don't know the guys personally, and I'm not going to call them and ask if you're right.  In the spirit of discussion, I want to know you think some of these guys are.  Really, I think it would give me some insight if you could mention a few names that you think fit this profile.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited to add:

I know that this is like picking at a scab, so this really is the last time I'll pose the question in this thread.  But I haven't twisted your words or misrepresented anything here - I've used your own direct quotes entirely in this post.   I just can't wrap my brain around you repeating, several times, that there are MANY of these guys, but then draw a line in the sand and refuse to even speculate about who some of them might be.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

KitchenSink

What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

02 Warhawk

Quote from: KitchenSink on January 29, 2015, 12:15:52 PM
FootballScoop says it's Bullis:

http://footballscoop.com/the-scoop

You could almost hear the collective "sigh" from the state of Indiana. 

;D

If that's the case, I'm happy with it. Football Scoop did break the Lance story, so I assume they know what they're talking about.

Now onto the guessing game for his coordinators, who Bullis says he already has picked out.

Pat Coleman

I won't print it just on Football Scoop's say-so, but I do think they have great sources so I'd be surprised if they were wrong.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wally_wabash

I think bleedpurple was all over this very early on, before the finalist panels happened.  Big credit there. 

I will admit that I underestimated Bullis on first glance- I didn't realize that he had as much time in the game as he does.  He's got a lot more experience than your average D3 assistant coach.  Ultimately I think we all win (if the scoop is correct).  I think UWW fans got the guy they wanted.  Wabash fans keep their guy.  And hopefully this event has resolved itself in the most win-win way it possibly could have. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 29, 2015, 02:48:36 PM
I won't print it just on Football Scoop's say-so, but I do think they have great sources so I'd be surprised if they were wrong.

They must have..I'm surprised on how fast they got the Lance to Buffalo news.

NewHawk

While I think the field was a good one, I for one will be glad if the scoop is the real scoop. Bullis is a great choice