BB: LEC: Little East Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 03:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ECSUalum

Quote from: Old Man on October 04, 2012, 10:24:39 PM
Word, KSCFan, Kscer

Heard on "Eastern Athletics Weekly", (a new student run sports broadcast on LECTV), that one of Keene's catchers has "defected" to the Evil Empire, (or former EE as was stated earlier this year on this thread  ).  So, is it Junior Matt Boulay, Soph. Chuck Vogt, or Junior Andrew Gummow??  I know Vogt is a pretty good defensive catcher, and started most of the season, however, his BA stat was a bit weak last year, while Boulay and Gummow hit well, but with limited at bats.  I see Vogt and Boulay are CT residents, Gummow from MA, so I would bet one of the former two.

MASS DEFECTIONS FROM KEENE TO EASTERN!!!!!!

I wonder where we can see this "Eastern Athletics Weekly",  just searched and didn't find it.  Probably a good move for whoever it is since the NEW EE is pretty darn good behind the dish.  Boulay caught most games until suffering a ruptiored tendion in glove hand in last game of regular season. Vogt caught some early on- 2nd games of DH's and palyed all over after that with about 120 AB's for a freshamn - very good amount of AB's as a FR. - avg of about .220 -NOT great and Gummow swings it well at about .390 in limited plate appearances.  Lets go LEC Baseball 2013

OM

Old,
Here is the web site for LECTV: http://www.littleeast.tv/ 
Look in upper right of page and see "Recent Archives".  You will see "talk show- Eastern Athletics Weekly".  Scroll down and you should see the last 3 EAW archived broadcasts. Click on broadcast and wait for it to load. It is actually better to watch the archived show, as you can fast forward or rewind to see what's of interest.
Thanks for the comments

ECSUalum

Video of Orioles Ryan Flahery's home run last night off Karoda in game where RAul Ibanez hits tying and winning home runs!!
USouthern Maine Coach Flaherty has produced a fine young ballplayer!!
http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=475247#gameType='D'&sectionType=career&statType=1&season=2012&level='ALL';

LEC fan from a distance

New here hello,any word on what is going on at ECSU??  I see that longtime assistant Bob Wocjik is no longer on the website??  I thought that the union Big Bill/Angry Bob would last forever as this article seems to imply.  Thanks.  A fan
http://articles.courant.com/2011-05-10/sports/hc-eastern-baseball-0511-20110510_1_bob-wojick-bill-holowaty-baseball-coach

ECSUalum

Quote from: LEC fan from a distance on October 16, 2012, 03:52:12 PM
New here hello,any word on what is going on at ECSU??  I see that longtime assistant Bob Wocjik is no longer on the website??  I thought that the union Big Bill/Angry Bob would last forever as this article seems to imply.  Thanks.  A fan
http://articles.courant.com/2011-05-10/sports/hc-eastern-baseball-0511-20110510_1_bob-wojick-bill-holowaty-baseball-coach

WOW that is huge :o :o :o.  Will have to investigate if this is true!!!!!!!!!!!

lefthanders

It is true. ECSU hired the Head Coach from Glastonbury HS and Holywater's son isn't far behind! ECSU had a big falling out on the bus last year between players and Coach Woj after they were eliminated in the LEC...
Rumor has Woj going to coach at Wesleyan University with his nephew...

Boggsy789

Any early feed back on LEC newcomers this year? Freshmen and Transfer?  I'm pretty pleased with my PSU Panthers picking up a couple transfer arms in Young from SNHU and former BG standout Cody Gilcrest who I believe comes in as a freshmen after not playing wherever he was previously.

Boggsy789

I know the Owls have a great class coming in with Eddie Dionne from Concord, Ted Christie from Nashua South, LHP George Seigel from Bridgeton Academy, Cody Dube from Windham, Maine and Alex Fiste transfer from Hartford.  Plus who knows who else.

kscer

Any update on the catcher leaving KSC for Eastern. I haven't heard anything about this years team, but I've been hibernating this fall, mourning the Red Sox.

KSCfan

couple of comments on the eastern situation...

1.  Woj can rub people the wrong way.  I know that he has been there forever, but i have talked to some recent eastern players who say that not a lot of the players really feel that he gives a lot to the team.  I got the feeling that not a lot of the players had the most respect for him and or what he said.  It did not come as a surprise when someone said that there was an incident on the bus after the LEC tourny. 

2.  I have watched the Glastonbury high school coach, and have been involved with glastonbury baseball at some levels.  From the reports that i have gotten, he is a players coach.  Coach Holowaty has always the "general" of that program, and what he says goes, and if you dont like it dont come to eastern.  I know that the GHS high school coach was notorious for letting players do what they want as long as they won, something that seems to conflict with Holowattys my way or the highway attitude.  Maybe it will work maybe it wont

3.  My third comment was a question.  Which Holowatty kid is it?  The one coaching out in Washington?  Or the other one?  And if it is the one coaching out in Washington, would he be brought in as the heir to the throne or just an assistant.  He has head coaching experience at the d3 level, and the holowatty name carries some clout down there in the death star.

Rumor has it that keene brought in some arms this fall, and some guys are bouncing back from injury.  The pitching at keene should be greatly improved according to the frogs croaking in the swamp

ECSUalum

Quote from: KSCfan on October 29, 2012, 09:41:51 AM
couple of comments on the eastern situation...

1.  Woj can rub people the wrong way.  I know that he has been there forever, but i have talked to some recent eastern players who say that not a lot of the players really feel that he gives a lot to the team.  I got the feeling that not a lot of the players had the most respect for him and or what he said.  It did not come as a surprise when someone said that there was an incident on the bus after the LEC tourny. 

2.  I have watched the Glastonbury high school coach, and have been involved with glastonbury baseball at some levels.  From the reports that i have gotten, he is a players coach.  Coach Holowaty has always the "general" of that program, and what he says goes, and if you dont like it dont come to eastern.  I know that the GHS high school coach was notorious for letting players do what they want as long as they won, something that seems to conflict with Holowattys my way or the highway attitude.  Maybe it will work maybe it wont

3.  My third comment was a question.  Which Holowatty kid is it?  The one coaching out in Washington?  Or the other one?  And if it is the one coaching out in Washington, would he be brought in as the heir to the throne or just an assistant.  He has head coaching experience at the d3 level, and the holowatty name carries some clout down there in the death star.

Rumor has it that keene brought in some arms this fall, and some guys are bouncing back from injury.  The pitching at keene should be greatly improved according to the frogs croaking in the swamp

KCSFan,

Any commment on rumor that one of Keene's catchers has transfered to Eastern? 

SCOUT66

Believe the last name is Vogt from Suffield CT transferred to ECSU, Robert Wojick to NESCAC to join Wesleyan, I don't have any info on the Glastonbury HS coach, ECSU head coach's son is not coaching in ct...I believe in NJ

KSCfan

If it is Vogt that is very surprising.  His brother played for Keene, and was actually drafted out of Keene.  Vogt played a lot for the owls too, here are some oh his stats

Played in 34 games and started 32 of them
Hit .218 in 119 at bats. (most of the owls starters were in the 150 at bat range)
9 doubles 25 RBI,
the stat that stuck out to me was 7 walks and 45 K's.  45 K's in 119 at bats is a lot

If and I trust Scout cause he is spot on usually with this stuff, Vogt did transfer its not from lack of playing time and or an opportunity.  So what gives?  Disagreement with Coaching staff? Grass greener at Eastern?

My next question is if Vogt is transferring, why would you pick your biggest LEC Rival to transfer to.  I can promise that whoever transferred from Keene to Eastern has become public enemy number one in the swamp.  It is viewed as a betrayal in that program and not taken lightly.  I remember not to long ago, a pitcher from the town of Keene went to Keene for a year(2004) and then transferred to USM in (2005).  Fast forward to the Keene/USM double header in 2005, and that pitcher was brought in from the bullpen to face Keene in the 7th of a one run game.  The Keene dugout exploded into mass hysteria, and then they went on to score a few runs against this pitcher.  Keene like many programs in the LEC feel that they are a family, and if you want to transfer thats fine, but you dont transfer within the LEC to another team, especially a heated rival a la Eastern and or USM.  Be interesting to see what happens when keene and eastern mix up this spring.

Scout I thought one of the sons was in Washington, because there was a big article about it.  I was looking online and it was Jared holowaty who was coaching at Whitman College in Washington.  I just read online that he took a coaching job at Eastern, so that answers that question

kscer

I got the impression that Boulay was the number one catcher, and Gummow was pushing to be #2 because he could hit. That would put Voigt 3rd. None of the three are as good as the previous four catchers, Diprato, Cippy, Grainger, or Kendrick. Boulay improved until he got injured. Voigt was allright behind the plate but I rated him a back-up at best.

KSCfan

KScer- according to the box scores Vogt was the starting catcher in all three of the NCAA regional games, and like 3 out of the 4 LEC tourny games.  I would tend to think that makes him the number one catcher.  You play your best guys at the end of the year in the tournaments, so apparently he did something to stand out to the coaching staff

Boggsy789

Boulay left the regular season finale double header game 1 May 4th game vs. UMass Dartmouth with a season ending injury. A quick glance at the box scores show he started 6 of the last 7 games behind the plate before getting hurt.