MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoWesYoungMan

Just a really solid weekend for the Cards. Two big road wins with nice shooting (28/51 from three over both games) but more importantly strong defense, rebounding and ball movement. Wes moved the ball and found the hot hand for individual streaks all weekend. Rafferty, Davis, Mackey and Edmonds all had runs where they scored 8-10 points in a row--then it was someone else's turn.  Kuo and Epps led a strong team rebounding effort. Wes did a nice job of playing with the lead, staying aggressive on offense and not panicking when Williams or Hamilton would make a short run.
A few notes re the conference season. Wes was the only team with 6 road games. The cards went 4-2. The five conference wins were by an average of 19.8 points. Still room for improvement but looking forward to hitting the road again for the NESCAC tournament.

NothingButNESCAC

Quote from: GoWesYoungMan on February 14, 2015, 06:34:28 PM
A few notes re the conference season. Wes was the only team with 6 road games. The cards went 4-2.

Trinity actually had 6 road games as well. They went a somewhat absurd 6-0 as their only conference lose was at home to Tufts.
Colby and Bates both had 6 home games. Bates of course went 6-0 at home and 1-3 on the road (although the losses were to Trinity, Amherst, and Bowdoin so not bad losses) while Colby was 2-4 at home and 2-2 on the road. As we noted, over the entire year, no team beat Bowdoin, Colby, or Bates in Maine except for Williams beating Colby or one of those three teams beating each other.

jumbo_hoops

Quote from: NothingButNESCAC on February 14, 2015, 08:11:09 PM
Quote from: GoWesYoungMan on February 14, 2015, 06:34:28 PM
A few notes re the conference season. Wes was the only team with 6 road games. The cards went 4-2.

Trinity actually had 6 road games as well. They went a somewhat absurd 6-0 as their only conference lose was at home to Tufts.
Colby and Bates both had 6 home games. Bates of course went 6-0 at home and 1-3 on the road (although the losses were to Trinity, Amherst, and Bowdoin so not bad losses) while Colby was 2-4 at home and 2-2 on the road. As we noted, over the entire year, no team beat Bowdoin, Colby, or Bates in Maine except for Williams beating Colby or one of those three teams beating each other.

Tufts beat Colby yesterday at Colby

GoWesYoungMan

NBN...my bad and thanks for fact checking. Really impressive that Trinity went 6-0 on the road. I meant to comment last week on Trinity. Very impressed with the Bantams' commitment to team defense and their ability to keep Wes from entering their offensive sets. They seem beatable but at this point the record doesn't lie and they have been the class of the NESCAC. That said its been a crazy season and the conference tourney may generate some real surprises.

Old Guy

Midd beats Wesleyan by 37; Williams beats Midd by 25; Wesleyan beats Williams by 22. Strange year. No help today from the Ephs, but the hole Midd was in, we dug ourselves.

Midd scored 61 points in the second half against Trinity, and lost. Down four with 18 seconds left, St. Amour's contested 10 footer slid off the rim. Had it gone in, we might have had a fabulous finish. St. Amour's 8-8 from the line in the final minutes gave us hope.

Playing for pride tomorrow against the Jeffs.

MENESCACFAN

COLBY 77 BATES 82

The weather and Valentines Day led to a serious lack of atmosphere in the Colby gym.  Noise wise the Bates bench was the most heard element in the building.

Bates built up a double figure lead and were comfortable throughout the first half.  Early in the second half they wobbled and a foul and technical led to a pretty unique four straight fee throws from Colby then possession, this sequence cut scow to 48-46.  With a packs crowd it could have been a rough spell for Bates, but thy responded with a run of their own and close game out.  Think thy led wire to wire.

After a poor performance at Bowdoin, Safford played well but nobody on the floor was outstanding.  Bates locks up a #3 or #4 seed.  Would love the historians in the group to confirm their best finish ever?  Certainly best I have seen.

I would predict Bates v Tufts in playoffs, and favor the Bobcats.  Colby stand little chance against Trinity in my opinion next week.

Bucket

Quote from: MENESCACFAN on February 15, 2015, 10:19:12 AM
COLBY 77 BATES 82

The weather and Valentines Day led to a serious lack of atmosphere in the Colby gym.  Noise wise the Bates bench was the most heard element in the building.

Bates built up a double figure lead and were comfortable throughout the first half.  Early in the second half they wobbled and a foul and technical led to a pretty unique four straight fee throws from Colby then possession, this sequence cut scow to 48-46.  With a packs crowd it could have been a rough spell for Bates, but thy responded with a run of their own and close game out.  Think thy led wire to wire.

After a poor performance at Bowdoin, Safford played well but nobody on the floor was outstanding.  Bates locks up a #3 or #4 seed.  Would love the historians in the group to confirm their best finish ever?  Certainly best I have seen.

I would predict Bates v Tufts in playoffs, and favor the Bobcats.  Colby stand little chance against Trinity in my opinion next week.

Agree with both of your predictions. Gotta favor Bates in Lewiston over The Jumbos. And I feel that a Hudnut-less Colby team is the only squad that can't spring the upset in Hartford.

Amherst has a lot to play for today. A win and the LJ's lock up the second seed and a home date with Williams. A loss and they slide all the way to 5 and will have to travel to Medford. This scenario would put Bates in the 3 spot against Wesleyan, and while moving up a seed, I think this might be a more difficult match-up for the Bobcats considering the way Wes has been playing lately.

polbear73

Quote from: Bucket on February 15, 2015, 10:30:16 AM
Quote from: MENESCACFAN on February 15, 2015, 10:19:12 AM
COLBY 77 BATES 82

Agree with both of your predictions. Gotta favor Bates in Lewiston over The Jumbos. And I feel that a Hudnut-less Colby team is the only squad that can't spring the upset in Hartford.

Amherst has a lot to play for today. A win and the LJ's lock up the second seed and a home date with Williams. A loss and they slide all the way to 5 and will have to travel to Medford. This scenario would put Bates in the 3 spot against Wesleyan, and while moving up a seed, I think this might be a more difficult match-up for the Bobcats considering the way Wes has been playing lately.
I also agree that Colby may not be able to upset Trinity in Hartford, but I think any other potential seeding is fair game for one to the extent that I'm not really sure if the term upset applies this year.  It's too hard to even root for a desirable matchup for one's team as anything can happen.  Should make for a playoff with no "chalk". 

jumpshot

Agree with Bucket ---lots of reasons to watch amHerst vs. Mid in a few minutes ----

Great opportunity for Mid to demonstrate Panther Pride ---and provide some satisfaction given what's happened in Pepin vs. lm's in recent years.

amHerst can improve its position with a win --- let's see what happens ....

warriorcat

Halftime in Middlebury -  Midd 41 Amherst 34

Amherst's play is sloppy - too many unforced turnovers.  Middlebury has played a lot of different players.  Is that because this is their last game/senior day?  Matt Daley has run the floor well getting a couple of nice dunks in transition.  Amherst bigs have had very little impact on the game thusfar. 

jumpshot

Mid up 7 over amHerst at half 41-34. Panthers playing "my" preferred offensive style getting into set patterns quickly, resulting in 11 assists and 20 points in the paint, rather than "run and gun.". lj's kept in the game on 7 of 13 3-pointers. Coach Hinson assessed a technical mid-way through first half much to the delight of Mid veteran fans who recall "Hixsongate" several season ago. amHerst guards reluctant to dump the ball down low, preferring to hang onto the ball until getting an outside shot ....

Let's see which team keeps its shape in second half ....

polbear73

Congratulations to Middlebury on a character win..

jumbo_hoops

Congrats to Middlebury

jumpshot

Congratulations to Middlebury Panthers on a most satisfying crushing of amHerst this afternoon. Creates a memory for Mid's seniors and yet another clear demonstration of Panther Pride.

Perhaps Kizel has already had a positive influence on Mid's guard play. Lots of high percentage shots and good looks for the Panthers today....