NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MENESCACFAN

I think it is negative and overly dramatic yes but still very interesting, but reading these boards for a while I have learned to take all that with a pinch of salt.  Is CacStar really the first poster to do this?  Mr.Right has become some lovable grump, but if CacStar is negative then so is he, and many of us, me included at time I imagine.  Why be so sensitive to it?

MENESCACFAN

Also as far as NESCAC allegiance goes mine lies with the three Maine teams, and I attend games for all three.  I am disappointed Bowdoin's success gained so little praise and seemed swept over on these boards (think Colby actually got more love), but that did not happen locally.

Mr.Right

I have to agree with NCAC....This poster is as unbearable a read as I have seen on here. Regurgitating most information in an unimpressive and most unorganized way. I had to stop reading halfway down as my brain could not keep up and a shiny light caught my attention.

PaulNewman

MENESCACFAN, I'm not sensitive to the material in any personal way.  None of it personally impacts me in the least.  And I don't feel protective or defensive on behalf of any of those particular schools or players mentioned.  Just didn't share the same first impression/reaction as you did, and don't necessarily want to encourage that style.  It's also one thing to be negative (I hae been and I'm sure will be again), but it's another (for me) to be negative in a way that is off-base and out-of-bounds for a forum like this.

And Mr.Right, I gave you some + karma.  Hope we can move forward and enjoy the upcoming season.

Nutmeg

Quote from: Cacstar12 on June 26, 2015, 09:33:56 PM
I don't even want to think about my top 11 I've played with or against in nescac. It will exclude any player who loves the long ball. Aka any Amherst/ starting to be midd player. If Conrad/glazer played in Spain everyone would laugh at them, where as a forward who plays with a team who plays with the ball on the ground would get more respect. They deserve respect because they signed up to play nescac soccer and only Conrad found a way. Wirz from Amherst who spencer noon freaked out about not getting all nescac about, does not deserve it. If he got it, that's basically saying the best nescac can offer is a center back that panicks and punts the ball. Wirz was perfect for nescac. Nothing else. My best center back pairing would be raicjack and Brewster by far. I refuse to debate outside backs, all so similar. Athletic and can run. Center mids are more interesting. I want to say Rory from Wesleyan because he was a huge typical nescac player, but he could play. He could connect passes well and had vision, but Christman from williams did that and was a hard tackler. It's hard to pick the best center mids because they are all different. I'd say the ones that could play were the best. Instead of head the ball or lay it off for another long ball.also the lower teams would have had center mids that had potential, I just didn't see it because their teams would get rocked. So I can't really say.

My main thing, Amherst killed d3 soccer. They decided that finding skilled players wasn't a thing so they butchered the game by bringing in the sucre twins. One of them got drafted and everyone I know would have paid 100$ to watch him train not only with a pro team but even a pdl team. Such a joke, but also such an achievement. What coaching. To transform soccer into a form of wwe wrestling takes skill. Everyone hates Amherst for killing the game of soccer and adding a sense of fairness to it. Their announcing of the lineup was like a basketball team and then they jump against eachother was one thing, but they get the results. If God is a soccer ball. Amherst is a knife. They don't play soccer they found a loophole that everyone is catching onto. Middlebury got Conrad. If Amherst got Conrad, even messiah would bow down. Huge religious rift right there, but still. The smaller fields are better for long ball teams. That's why williams is so good at home (120x80) field.

I hope Colby, tufts, new williams, bates(yes bates, they will suck, but they try and play atleast) decide and counter amhersts trend of putting 6'4+ guys on the field to disrupt things. I respect Grady and knoth for being a center forward and short. More for knoth for having a more fluid career, but we'll see what happens in the end. We've all seen guys don well then fail.

So my best eleven would have more Colby kids. They play.
Bowdoin doesn't have a style, they just adapted.
All interesting for the nescac.

CAC, yes Amhersmt played long ball. So do many D1 teams. As far as others trying to counter Amherst's so-called trend of giants, did u watch the Tufts midfield last year. The decision to play soccer started at Tufts when Shapiro entered... The midfield is a joy to watch. Very talented an cohesive.... Check them out this year...sounds like u didn't see them last year...

Becks

Quote from: Mr.Right on May 11, 2015, 08:14:57 PM
2. Wesleyan gets a serious striker off of Superclub Blackrock FC All-Stars. Very skilled and quick he should provide some serious punch up top.

Mr. Right - Are you referring to Komar?

Corazon

The admission rates for the incoming NESCAC freshmen are out.  Not getting any easier to get in ...

Amherst 13.7%
Bowdoin 14.9%
Tufts 16.0%
Williams 16.8%
Middlebury 17.0%
Bates 21.4%
Wesleyan 21.9%
Colby 22.5%
Hamilton 24.9%
Trinity 33.0%
Conn 36.7%*

* last year's stat. Conn hasn't published this year's results yet

Nutmeg

Quote from: Corazon on July 15, 2015, 11:13:36 AM
The admission rates for the incoming NESCAC freshmen are out.  Not getting any easier to get in ...

Amherst 13.7%
Bowdoin 14.9%
Tufts 16.0%
Williams 16.8%
Middlebury 17.0%
Bates 21.4%
Wesleyan 21.9%
Colby 22.5%
Hamilton 24.9%
Trinity 33.0%
Conn 36.7%*

* last year's stat. Conn hasn't published this year's results yet
Impressive!

Mr.Right

Quote from: Becks on July 09, 2015, 12:32:30 AM
2. Wesleyan gets a serious striker off of Superclub Blackrock FC All-Stars. Very skilled and quick he should provide some serious punch up top.

I forgot the kids name but I saw that team play twice this past spring and he is a legit player. I was shocked when I heard he was going to Wesleyan. Maybe he had 2 "great" days when I saw him but I would of guessed a lower tier Ivy would be interested in him. He will help that team immensely and immediately. He is not quite as fast as Mutala(Conn) but more skilled and physically more advanced which will help him get goals in Nescac.

All NESCAC

Quote from: Mr.Right on July 17, 2015, 04:04:07 PM

I forgot the kids name but I saw that team play twice this past spring and he is a legit player. I was shocked when I heard he was going to Wesleyan. Maybe he had 2 "great" days when I saw him but I would of guessed a lower tier Ivy would be interested in him. He will help that team immensely and immediately. He is not quite as fast as Mutala(Conn) but more skilled and physically more advanced which will help him get goals in Nescac.
If Conn is going to score any goals this coming season then Mutala better have a good summer as he was hurt for most of last Fall with leg injury after leg injury which really hurt Conn's attack.  He can be a difference maker in the offensive end, but you have to be on the field  to make a difference.

Becks

Quote from: Mr.Right on July 17, 2015, 04:04:07 PM

"physically more advanced" - Hmmm, probably not Komar. Komar is quick and skillful but pretty skinny. Also, at least at Berkshire School, Komar was a CM not a forward.

Mr.Right

I said physically more advanced than Mutala which is not saying much since Mutala might weigh 135 soaking wet. I was comparing both players for some reason. That kid will be fine in Nescac and be able to create scoring opportunities that Wesleyan have struggled with since their banner year in 2009.

GabWirz

I don't even want to think about my top 11 I've played with or against in nescac. It will exclude any player who loves the long ball. Aka any Amherst/ starting to be midd player. If Conrad/glazer played in Spain everyone would laugh at them, where as a forward who plays with a team who plays with the ball on the ground would get more respect. They deserve respect because they signed up to play nescac soccer and only Conrad found a way. Wirz from Amherst who spencer noon freaked out about not getting all nescac about, does not deserve it. If he got it, that's basically saying the best nescac can offer is a center back that panicks and punts the ball. Wirz was perfect for nescac. Nothing else. My best center back pairing would be raicjack and Brewster by far. I refuse to debate outside backs, all so similar. Athletic and can run. Center mids are more interesting. I want to say Rory from Wesleyan because he was a huge typical nescac player, but he could play. He could connect passes well and had vision, but Christman from williams did that and was a hard tackler. It's hard to pick the best center mids because they are all different. I'd say the ones that could play were the best. Instead of head the ball or lay it off for another long ball.also the lower teams would have had center mids that had potential, I just didn't see it because their teams would get rocked. So I can't really say.

My main thing, Amherst killed d3 soccer. They decided that finding skilled players wasn't a thing so they butchered the game by bringing in the sucre twins. One of them got drafted and everyone I know would have paid 100$ to watch him train not only with a pro team but even a pdl team. Such a joke, but also such an achievement. What coaching. To transform soccer into a form of wwe wrestling takes skill. Everyone hates Amherst for killing the game of soccer and adding a sense of fairness to it. Their announcing of the lineup was like a basketball team and then they jump against eachother was one thing, but they get the results. If God is a soccer ball. Amherst is a knife. They don't play soccer they found a loophole that everyone is catching onto. Middlebury got Conrad. If Amherst got Conrad, even messiah would bow down. Huge religious rift right there, but still. The smaller fields are better for long ball teams. That's why williams is so good at home (120x80) field.

I hope Colby, tufts, new williams, bates(yes bates, they will suck, but they try and play atleast) decide and counter amhersts trend of putting 6'4+ guys on the field to disrupt things. I respect Grady and knoth for being a center forward and short. More for knoth for having a more fluid career, but we'll see what happens in the end. We've all seen guys don well then fail.

Hey everybody,

I've been reading the boards for the past four years, so now that I have graduated it's surreal to finally be participating on this forum with the likes of d3boards legends such as Mr. Right!

I just wanted to respond to Cacstar12's post about "good soccer" and my lack of soccer skills.  I was actually just offered a contract in the Swiss promotion league (3rd division) so there are clearly professional coaching staffs out there who believe that I have the ability to do more than just "panic and punt the ball" and that I am more than just perfect for the NESCAC and "nothing else".  When I arrived as a freshman at Amherst four years ago, I bought into Coach Serpone's system.  I decided that I would sacrifice my love of dribbling out of the back for the greater good of the team.  And after 4 years, 3 NESCAC championships, 65 wins, a 40 game unbeaten streak, and a season in which we conceded 3 goals over the course of 20 games (which is an NCAA record) I am very happy that I put my trust in Coach Serpone (He's also actually a great guy, believe it or not). 

As for your "interesting" metaphor involving God, a knife, a soccer ball, and a loophole in the system that Amherst has found, I hate to break it to you brother but there is no loophole.  For as long as I've been at Amherst, we've gone out and played for 90 minutes on the same field, using the same ball, and adhering to the same rules and regulations as the rest of the league.  The loophole thing sounds like an excuse to me.

I would also like to address your sentiments, that are shared by many posters, regarding the "good soccer" that is played in the NESCAC by teams other than Amherst.  I admit that Amherst does not play anything like Barcelona or Bayern Munich, but if you think that there is a team in the NESCAC that does I would have to strongly disagree.  Having grown up around soccer and having been in Europe for the past month trialing with pro teams, I can tell you that there is not a team in the NESCAC that plays soccer comparable even to low level European pro teams.  But that's not a bad thing.  It seems like many of the d3boards regular contributors forget that soccer is about results.  There are no judges who award style points for the type of soccer played.  This is not figure skating or gymnastics.  At the end of the day, every team in the NESCAC wants to win and how they go about trying achieve that goal is their own business.     

Finally, as for your jab at Ale Sucre's soccer playing ability.  I had the privilege to play with him for two years and he is a fantastic player.  After he was drafted in the MLS Draft he went on trial in France and there were a couple of Ligue 2 French teams that were interested in him, but he ended up choosing not to pursue a soccer career.  I personally think he would be able to hold his own at a PDL practice so your 100 dollars would probably just go to waste.  His brother Fede was also talented and a very important piece in Amherst's 40 game unbeaten streak, so your allegations regarding Ale and Fede butchering the game of soccer are absolutely ludicrous.  But hey, I shouldn't be surprised given that this is coming from the guy who would pick a bunch of Colby guys when choosing the best 11 players he has played with in the NESCAC.  I mean no disrespect to the Colby program or the Colby players because there have been some good Colby players and I think that they keep improving every year, but for your top 11 in the league? Seriously?

Great to finally be on the boards!!! 

Brother Flounder

Quote from: GabWirz on July 29, 2015, 11:07:22 AM

Hey everybody,

I've been reading the boards for the past four years, so now that I have graduated it's surreal to finally be participating on this forum with the likes of d3boards legends such as Mr. Right!

I just wanted to respond to Cacstar12's post about "good soccer" and my lack of soccer skills.  I was actually just offered a contract in the Swiss promotion league (3rd division) so there are clearly professional coaching staffs out there who believe that I have the ability to do more than just "panic and punt the ball" and that I am more than just perfect for the NESCAC and "nothing else".  When I arrived as a freshman at Amherst four years ago, I bought into Coach Serpone's system.  I decided that I would sacrifice my love of dribbling out of the back for the greater good of the team.  And after 4 years, 3 NESCAC championships, 65 wins, a 40 game unbeaten streak, and a season in which we conceded 3 goals over the course of 20 games (which is an NCAA record) I am very happy that I put my trust in Coach Serpone (He's also actually a great guy, believe it or not). 

As for your "interesting" metaphor involving God, a knife, a soccer ball, and a loophole in the system that Amherst has found, I hate to break it to you brother but there is no loophole.  For as long as I've been at Amherst, we've gone out and played for 90 minutes on the same field, using the same ball, and adhering to the same rules and regulations as the rest of the league.  The loophole thing sounds like an excuse to me.

I would also like to address your sentiments, that are shared by many posters, regarding the "good soccer" that is played in the NESCAC by teams other than Amherst.  I admit that Amherst does not play anything like Barcelona or Bayern Munich, but if you think that there is a team in the NESCAC that does I would have to strongly disagree.  Having grown up around soccer and having been in Europe for the past month trialing with pro teams, I can tell you that there is not a team in the NESCAC that plays soccer comparable even to low level European pro teams.  But that's not a bad thing.  It seems like many of the d3boards regular contributors forget that soccer is about results.  There are no judges who award style points for the type of soccer played.  This is not figure skating or gymnastics.  At the end of the day, every team in the NESCAC wants to win and how they go about trying achieve that goal is their own business.     

Finally, as for your jab at Ale Sucre's soccer playing ability.  I had the privilege to play with him for two years and he is a fantastic player.  After he was drafted in the MLS Draft he went on trial in France and there were a couple of Ligue 2 French teams that were interested in him, but he ended up choosing not to pursue a soccer career.  I personally think he would be able to hold his own at a PDL practice so your 100 dollars would probably just go to waste.  His brother Fede was also talented and a very important piece in Amherst's 40 game unbeaten streak, so your allegations regarding Ale and Fede butchering the game of soccer are absolutely ludicrous.  But hey, I shouldn't be surprised given that this is coming from the guy who would pick a bunch of Colby guys when choosing the best 11 players he has played with in the NESCAC.  I mean no disrespect to the Colby program or the Colby players because there have been some good Colby players and I think that they keep improving every year, but for your top 11 in the league? Seriously?

Great to finally be on the boards!!! 

I have been absent for awhile. I will agree with comments that there are punt and run teams and possession teams in the NESCAC and elsewhere in college soccer. To say that all college soccer is more physical, strength and speed as opposed to tactical is just oversimplification. GabWirz.  I watched several Amherst games last year.  Am I right in detecting that the style last year was more pass oriented than years in the past?  Also, you've played against other teams...Did any stand out as being more tactical than simply relying on more speed, physicality and strength?  What about the NCAA champions..what would you categorize their style as?

letsGOswans!

Gabwirz,

What are your predictions for 1-11 this upcoming season?
And I am also interested in who you would have in your nescac "all star" team.