Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill

The remarkable season of D3 men's lacrosse in the Liberty League will culminate in the National Championship game on Saturday May 29th. Defending national champ Rochester Institute of Technology will meet fellow Liberty League member Union College for the title. Back on April 9th the Tigers of RIT beat Union 14-13 for for the 20th straight time in the league rivalry. I'd say the Dutchmen are due. :o

It was a great season for the Liberty League. Gaining USA Lacrosse magazine rankings  were RIT #1, Union #7, St.Lawrence #11 and RPI #19  ALL made the NCAA tournament field. Now a LL team will be national champs for the second season in a row.  ;D
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

Vandy74

I really enjoy hearing Dave and Monika work the women's Final Four action each year, and what a pair of games they had to cover this afternoon.  Two Nescac teams on a mission made two storied programs look like mid majors.  I NEVER saw that coming.  Gettysburg has three championships under coach Carole Cantele, the last one in 2018 over Middlebury, and played in Salem.  In 2017 they won it over TCNJ, whose coach Sharon Pluger owns an 11-6 record in championship lacrosse action.  I expect tomorrow's game to be one during which I spend as much time pacing as I do watching.  It amazes me that I can actually sit still when I attend these things.

As Dave and Monika informed viewers this afternoon, tomorrow's combatants have already met twice this season.  Middlebury beat Tufts 14-7 in regular season play.  The Jumbos tied the score at 2 apiece at :58 of the first period, but Middlebury scored a go-ahead goal at :17 and it was all Panthers from there.  In the Nescac championship game rematch which Tufts won 9-8, Middlebury's Jane Early was limited to just two unsuccessful SOG.  Tied at the end of the third quarter, it took Tufts only three and a half minutes to build a three goal lead.  The Panthers managed to cut it down to one at 9:22 and 2:44, but never closed the gap.  The Middlebury win was on Tufts' Bello Field and Tufts prevailed at Middlebury's Kohn Field.  Also worth noting, the Panther GK in the loss to Tufts was Gina Driscoll, in place of an injured Annie Enrietto.  She did an outstanding job over those seven games, which included the decisive 16-6 Nescac semifinal win over Wesleyan, a team that had only trailed for two minutes in it's regular season 12-11 loss to the Panthers.

Middlebury walked off the field as national champions the last time it's season ended.  Tufts lost the last championship game to be played, in a season in which the Panthers did not participate.  They were also one of the semifinalists in 2019.  Tufts has never won the women's title.  Middlebury owns seven.  Who wants it more?  It should be one helluva game! 8-)               

ephoops

Great win for the Midd women's lax team versus Tufts on Sunday.  A dominant 4th quarter which saw Midd outscore Tufts 7-1 led to a resounding 13-5 victory.

KP has won three Nat'l Championships at Midd since replacing the legend -- Missy Foote.  KP also won a Natty as the HC at Trinity.  KP has taken a great program and brought it to new heights.  She's a great coach.

A lot of credit should also go to Asst. Coach Amy Patton.  After Midd lost in the 2018 National Championship game to Gettysburg, KP realized she needed help coaching the offensive side.  KP is a brilliant coach of lax defense.  Her version of the backer zone has stymied teams season after season.  After the 2018 loss to Gettysburg (a game that Midd likely wins easily with any semblance of offensive flow that game), KP hired Patton to take over the offense.  The results have been astounding.  Two record-breaking seasons of team goals scored and two National Championships in two seasons.  I believe that Midd's record since Patton joined the coaching staff is 48-2!  Credit to KP that she realized that she needed help to run the offense and her decision to bring in Patton has produced remarkable results. 

Midd loses some great seniors, but there is a ton of talent returning, including Jane Early.  Midd is well positioned for a three-peat next year (the Salisbury Natty in 2021 doesn't count because Midd didn't play at all that season).

Shamrock

Wabash College freshman, Quinn Fitzgerald, tied the NCAA Division III men's lacrosse single-game record with 13 goals in Saturday's 21-6 victory by the Little Giants over Concordia University - Chicago.