WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 15, 2013, 11:22:10 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 15, 2013, 11:00:31 PM
At least I got a chance to see both of Hope and Calvin's facilities, even though I can't technically count being at Calvin's since I didn't witness a game there. I will have to make a trip back.

While the Hope crowd might not have been here, the atmosphere has still been great and visiting Calvin was just the cherry on top of the weekend. We should have the men's or women's tournament dragged out every year so I can get to all final fours! Ok... maybe not.

While Hope and IWU have hosted all the FFs since 2007, and have each won a title since 2006, and have each participated in an additional FF since then, either coincidentally or ironically (take your pick), neither has ever won a home-court FF (or even been in a home-court title game).  I'm a firm believer in home-court advantage, but it CAN be overrated! ;D

Hope sort of won one on their home court in 1990 Ypsi. :)

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sac on March 16, 2013, 12:20:41 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 15, 2013, 11:22:10 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 15, 2013, 11:00:31 PM
At least I got a chance to see both of Hope and Calvin's facilities, even though I can't technically count being at Calvin's since I didn't witness a game there. I will have to make a trip back.

While the Hope crowd might not have been here, the atmosphere has still been great and visiting Calvin was just the cherry on top of the weekend. We should have the men's or women's tournament dragged out every year so I can get to all final fours! Ok... maybe not.

While Hope and IWU have hosted all the FFs since 2007, and have each won a title since 2006, and have each participated in an additional FF since then, either coincidentally or ironically (take your pick), neither has ever won a home-court FF (or even been in a home-court title game).  I'm a firm believer in home-court advantage, but it CAN be overrated! ;D

Hope sort of won one on their home court in 1990 Ypsi. :)

OOPS! :-[

Didn't go far enough back in the archives.

Since IWU kinda sucked prior to Mia Smith's arrival (and took a while to be really good), I'm a newcomer to the women's game.  I didn't realize that Hope had ever hosted prior to the DeVos.

Man, if we had even had women's sports back then, what a home court advantage the Fred Young Fieldhouse would have been - NO shooting background at either end of the court, and an overflowing, rabid, right-on-top-of-you fan base! ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Let's be honest though, three years - maybe four counting this year - Hope and IWU have been the rightful team to host the second weekend but were sent on the road each year and lost as late as the Elite 8 game... so while home court may not seem like a benefit, forcing teams that clearly deserved to be at home the second weekend on the road caused maybe a few opportunities for Hope and IWU to win a national championship at home.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Roundball999

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 16, 2013, 02:37:36 AM
Let's be honest though, three years - maybe four counting this year - Hope and IWU have been the rightful team to host the second weekend but were sent on the road each year and lost as late as the Elite 8 game... so while home court may not seem like a benefit, forcing teams that clearly deserved to be at home the second weekend on the road caused maybe a few opportunities for Hope and IWU to win a national championship at home.

No argument there.  For example, as great as UWW played yesterday vs Amherst I think they played much better last weekend on their home court.  Hope is something like 125-3 at DeVos.  Amherst is clearly a stronger team at LeFrak and has shown that in second weekend games, though they'll probably not ever host a Final Four there.  I understand the NCAA cost and mileage thing, but it is disappointing to see some teams not rewarded for their body of work during the season and early rounds.  As a Hope fan, it's easy to opine that the Flying Dutch would still be playing this year had the hosting gone according to seeding. 

But to be champion you have to ultimately beat everyone out on the court, regardless of who and where.  Congrats to UWW and DePauw, looks to be a great final.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well... my point has nothing to do with mileage and financials. Only once, I think this year, has any of those teams had those restraints... they should have hosted, period. They mileage wasn't a factor, neither was financials, and the rankings were in IWU and Hope's favor (or the numbers)... but the committee(s) sent them on the road. What I am getting at is that the decision seemed more like not letting those teams host every game of the tournament - and that is questionable at best.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

gordonmann

We've released our list of All-Americans. Congratulations to Carissa Verkaik who can add another major award to her trophy case.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2013/03/womens-all-americans

realist

Quote from: gordonmann on March 16, 2013, 04:04:41 PM
We've released our list of All-Americans. Congratulations to Carissa Verkaik who can add another major award to her trophy case.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2013/03/womens-all-americans

Thanks.  That is great.  She represents Calvin and D3 women's basketball extremely well.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

Roundball999

Congratulations to Carissa, very well deserved and caps a fabulous career.

A little disappointed not to see Liz Ellis from Hope get any national recognition in any of the polls.  Having watched many of the better teams, its hard for me to imagine she's not among the top handul of guards in the nation.  But averaging 23 minutes in Hope's typical 10 man rotation and with her focus on defense, breaking the press and distributing the ball on a team with a balanced scoring system, it's tough to accumulate the kind of offensive stats that grab attention.

Roundball999

Excellent championship game by DePauw yesterday.  Eerily similar to UW-Whitewater game at DeVos vs. Hope earlier in the season.  Hope jumped out to a 30-9 halftime lead with Whitewater starting out turning the ball over and Hope shooting well; second half played more even.  Would have loved the opportunity to see a Hope-Depauw game at DeVos but alas...

Anyway, congratulations to DePauw on the championship and a phenomenal season.  Glad to see they took home the championship, they richly deserved it through their season's body of work.

gohope

I missed Hoopsville last evening, but did Dave, Pat and Gordon mention anything about what an AWESOME job that Hope College did on hosting the Final Four??!!   :)

Pat Coleman

LOL. A few times. :)

First hour of the show is almost entirely Holland, and Dave and Gordon and I end that hour with a wrapup of the weekend and women's basketball season from the DeVos concourse.
http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2012-13/march17
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bballfan13

Another Player of the Year award for Carissa Verkaik.  She has repeated as the D3 News POY

http://www.calvin.edu/sports/news/comments/carissa-verkaik-repeats-as-womens-diii-news-player-of-the-year/

If Carissa wins the WBCA POY award in a few weeks she will have swept all of the awards for this season.  Can anyone remember that happening before?

oldknight

Quote from: gohope on March 18, 2013, 02:08:05 PM
I missed Hoopsville last evening, but did Dave, Pat and Gordon mention anything about what an AWESOME job that Hope College did on hosting the Final Four??!!   :)

I attended Friday night and I think Hope did a first rate job. I didn't see or experience anything that merited criticism. Kudo's to Tim Schoonveld, Brian Morehouse and everyone at Hope who had a part in the week's activities. Having experienced many games at DeVos Fieldhouse with Calvin in the building, I feared the atmosphere might be too subdued and a bit sterile, but it wasn't. While the size of the crowd was less than half of what we normally see for a Hope men's game, the assembled were very energetic and created a lot of excitement. Of course, the excitement and quality of two close games helped a lot.

bballforever

Final D3 rankings show Hope at 3 - alot of respect shown, they are ranked above two of the final four teams.

Calvin down to 14. 

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: bballforever on March 20, 2013, 01:34:02 PM
Calvin down to 14.

Interesting to note that St Thomas is at 15
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight