WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hope81

I attended Friday night and I think Hope did a first rate job. I didn't see or experience anything that merited criticism. Kudo's to Tim Schoonveld, Brian Morehouse and everyone at Hope who had a part in the week's activities. Having experienced many games at DeVos Fieldhouse with Calvin in the building, I feared the atmosphere might be too subdued and a bit sterile, but it wasn't. While the size of the crowd was less than half of what we normally see for a Hope men's game, the assembled were very energetic and created a lot of excitement. Of course, the excitement and quality of two close games helped a lot.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed the time.  Just to be clear though, while Schoonie and the other 70 plus volunteers and staff at Hope played a HUGE part in making the tournament enjoyable, the person that does most of the planning is tournament director and co-athletic director Eva Dean Folkert.  Course for her it is getting old hat after doing now 4 bball national championships and 1 volleyball and 1 swimming.  Looking forward to the volleyball national championship again in the fall as well.

anchor

Final top 25.  Hope #3.  Congrats Flying Dutch.  Is it possible to reload for next year or will it be a rebuilding year?

mark_reichert

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 16, 2013, 02:37:36 AM
Let's be honest though, three years - maybe four counting this year - Hope and IWU have been the rightful team to host the second weekend but were sent on the road each year and lost as late as the Elite 8 game... so while home court may not seem like a benefit, forcing teams that clearly deserved to be at home the second weekend on the road caused maybe a few opportunities for Hope and IWU to win a national championship at home.

You know, it's not that hard to check the playoff archives. ::)

In 2010, Illinois Wesleyan hosted all three weekends, but thanks to a one point loss to Stevens Point, only played through the third round.

I haven't taken time to figure out from what data prior to 1999 is available whether this happened when the Final Four host was selected from one of the four participants.

sac

Hope hosted all the way in 1990.  Although the final four was not on the women's true home court when it was moved to the Holland Civic Center to accommodate more fans.

Roundball999

Quote from: anchor on March 21, 2013, 09:04:33 PM
Final top 25.  Hope #3.  Congrats Flying Dutch.  Is it possible to reload for next year or will it be a rebuilding year?

Depends on what you mean by reload.  Calvin and Hope both lose a ton of talent to graduation.  Not sure either will be as strong as this year at a national level, depends on offseason improvement of returning players and quality of incoming recruits.  Without any insight on recruits, I'd make Hope the favorite for league title next year.  One possible starting five could be Llorens, McAfee, Doell, Berry and Kelly; all were starters or key contributors in the regular rotation this year.  This five would include three players at over 6', a 3 point sniper in Berry who can also make the spectacular assist; a very solid all around guard in Kelly; a low post scorer in Llorens, and two versatile, long forwards/wings in Doell and McAfee.  That five lacks a true point guard however; that will come from the continued development of LaReau, who got some important minutes in big situations spelling Ellis this year,  and/or from recruits.

But the great thing about D3 is you just don't know what to expect until the season starts and you see who shows up for tryouts....

bballforever

There was a nice article in the Holland Sentinel about the future of Hope women's bball.  Moorehouse sounds excited, lots of talent coming back.  Watch out Calvin and the rest of the MIAA.

Flying Dutch Fan

2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

realist

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on March 27, 2013, 09:03:34 AM
Here is a link to the aforementioned article:

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/sports/sports_hope/x1959361435/Dan-DAddona-Hope-womens-basketball-must-replace-stellar-senior-class

Thanks for the link FDF.  I think it is very safe to assume that Hope is going to be the team to beat just about every year in the MIAA.  Calvin has had very competitive teams over the years, and at some positions superior players.  Calvin has to forget what the last 4 years were, and move on with current, and new players.  Ross always has spoken highly of his bench players, and many of them did well when given a chance.  Next years players have seen lots of floor time, and they also had to practice against this years starters so it isn't exactly like either Calvin or Hope are start up programs.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

sunkiss

sac

Nov 19  Hope at Calvin
Feb 1.  Calvin at Hope

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sac on May 04, 2013, 12:24:24 AM
Nov 19  Hope at Calvin
Feb 1.  Calvin at Hope

Nov. 19? That early?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

bballfan13

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 04, 2013, 12:41:57 AM
Quote from: sac on May 04, 2013, 12:24:24 AM
Nov 19  Hope at Calvin
Feb 1.  Calvin at Hope

Nov. 19? That early?

The game at Calvin was originally scheduled by the league during exam times and did not work.  This was the only other option they could both find.  It is unfortunate it is this early, but could throw in some new wrinkles I guess.

sac

BCAM Academic honors for both Carissa Verkaik and Liz Ellis

http://www.bcam.org/sites/default/files/13WomensCollegeTeam.pdf

bballfan13

Carissa Verkaik has been named Michigan's Female College Athlete of the Year by the Detroit Athletic Club:

http://www.calvin.edu/sports/news/comments/carissa-verkaik-named-michigan-female-college-athlete-of-year-by-detroit-at/