Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Quote from: Jerry Bawcom on October 10, 2011, 11:50:56 AM
You are so right; enjoy the journey.  The CRU "road warriors" journey in 2004 was an incredible experience; a lifetime experience for some of the players.  The CRU in the playoffs since has been great fun, except for the game at Linfield a couple of years ago....
I'm going to miss the next two weeks of games and am already having withdrawal!  There's nothing like fall, the smell of grass, the sounds of the band and football to stir up one's excitement!!!  D-III thanks for the memories!!!

Hear here.

Always an honor to have a doctor on the boards.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Warren Thompson

K-Mack: Unless I somehow missed it, you didn't cite Wilkes as having the name, "Colonels."

~ Warren Thompson

gordonmann

K-Mack:

I was going to point out Trinity's perch among the winged warriors of Division III football, but you mentioned my beloved Bants separately.

One other quibble then. I don't think Wolverines are dogs.  They are actually from the weasel family. At least that's what I've read

I've jokingly referred to Wesley as the Fightin' Ferretts. Ferrets are also weasel kin!

sflzman

I don't really know which board this fits in to the best, but it can go here I guess,

Andy Dick (the comedian) was in Alma last night to premiere his new movie that is coming out, "Division 3, Football's Finest"

Looks like it will be a great (and really funny) movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvaGzofrzEI
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

ADL70

Quote from: gordonmann on October 13, 2011, 04:53:41 PM
K-Mack:

One other quibble then. I don't think Wolverines are dogs.  They are actually from the weasel family. At least that's what I've read

I've jokingly referred to Wesley as the Fightin' Ferretts. Ferrets are also weasel kin!

Whlie Wesley's Wolverines do seem to be weasel kin.  Grove City's have antecedents related to the canine precurser Wolf.  They used to have a wolf-like represenation of the mascot until abandoning any animal representations a few years ago (perhaps at the urging of the biology faculty).

http://www2.gcc.edu/sports/thewolverine.htm
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

K-Mack

Quote from: Warren Thompson on October 13, 2011, 04:14:26 PM
K-Mack: Unless I somehow missed it, you didn't cite Wilkes as having the name, "Colonels."

~ Warren Thompson

I figured I had to have missed someone.

I also didn't directly mention FDU-Florham, although "Devils" without the red or blue is in the lede paragraph.

And yes, I've been made aware that a wolf =/= wolverine. Duh. My bad.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: sflzman on October 13, 2011, 06:48:16 PM
I don't really know which board this fits in to the best, but it can go here I guess,

Andy Dick (the comedian) was in Alma last night to premiere his new movie that is coming out, "Division 3, Football's Finest"

Anything can go here!

We heard about that movie a few years back. I'm lukewarm on it because I'm not a big Andy Dick fan, and because I'm curious to see if they portray D-III players as bumbling buffoons. I'll check out the trailer, hopefully it's good. Your recommendation is a start.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

roocru

Since Austin College has the only Kangaroo mascot, I guess I need to tell how this came about.  From the book, "100 Years, 100 Yards - The Story of Austin College Football" by Willie Jacobs;

"Somewhere between the 1914 and 1915 seasons, Austin College dubbed their athletic teams the "Kangaroos", and the name stuck through the years.  Although unconfirmed, the story is that the Austin College students, still all male at the time, were known throughout the state for its kangaroo court, a student organization which often wielded a wooden paddle to culprits guilty of campus violations."

There is another story of a newspaper writer who described the Austin College team in his game write-up as being harder to tackle than a bunch of Kangaroos. This occurred later and probably helped fuel the use of the name.

The first live Kangaroo mascot was presented to Austin College in 1922 and was nicknamed "Pat" for Pat Hooks, a fervent sponsor and gentleman who personally financed much of the AC athletic programs for 25 years.  When the mascot Pat died several years later, a full funeral service was conducted by the students and Pat was laid to rest in a grave under what is now the Baker Hall dormitory parking lot. 

There were other live mascots in later years but the mascot became known as Katy the Kangaroo in later years.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it!!
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

doodlesdad

Cal Lutheran's nickname, Kingsmen, actually has a religious conotation. The college's first president chose it. It really means Christ the King's Men. No "Louie, Louie" there.

K-Mack

Quote from: roocru on October 06, 2011, 06:08:29 PM
Keith, I really enjoyed this week's column.  One of your best in my view!

Thanks
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 07, 2011, 08:45:15 PM
Great column Keith.  Really interesting stuff and you drive home a really important point for all D3 fans.  Enjoy the journey!  There is much to treasure each week and each game.  With teams playing on small college campuses all over the country, there is too much good stuff happening to worry about whether the Stagg Bowl is all purple or not.  Even as a loyal follower of UW-W, I am concerned about one thing: enjoying October 8th.

Also appreciate this one.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Jerry Bawcom

I just read the story on Mascots.  It was really interesting.  Fun to hear how some colleges came up with their names.
True Crusader Fan !!!

PA_wesleyfan

HAHA ! I don't think Wesley knows what to make the wolverine look like.. Looks more lke Wiley Covote!!!
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

RedandPurple

Great story Keith. And a very interesting read. It's not DIII, but my dad's high school football team were the Pretzels (Freeport, Illinois).
The team was sponsored by the local pretzel factory hence the name.  :D
Go Cats! Make it 62 in '17!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
Winston S. Churchill

RedandPurple

Quote from: K-Mack on October 13, 2011, 08:25:51 PM
Quote from: sflzman on October 13, 2011, 06:48:16 PM

Anything can go here!

We heard about that movie a few years back. I'm lukewarm on it because I'm not a big Andy Dick fan, and because I'm curious to see if they portray D-III players as bumbling buffoons. I'll check out the trailer, hopefully it's good. Your recommendation is a start.

Looks more like an Andy Dick movie than a movie about DIII football. I'm going to pass on this one.  8-)
Go Cats! Make it 62 in '17!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
Winston S. Churchill