BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Brady

Hey guys and gals.  Check out the newest issue of Sports Illustrated and read rick Rileys column in the very back.  SCIAC and Cal tech gettin some love.

Tom Brady

Pomonaalum-  You must be kidding me about the SCIAC "rankings".  How in the hell do you put a team that has won back-to-back SCIAC titles finishing second from the bottom and a team that has never finished lower than 2nd, third from the bottom.  Did the entire USC Baseball team transfer to CMS?  Surely you must be smokin' some good stuff but I would love to hear your logic.  OXY in second place  :o ???

ScrappyMcTavish

Quote from: Tom Brady on January 12, 2006, 12:01:09 PM
Pomonaalum-  You must be kidding me about the SCIAC "rankings".  How in the hell do you put a team that has won back-to-back SCIAC titles finishing second from the bottom and a team that has never finished lower than 2nd, third from the bottom.  Did the entire USC Baseball team transfer to CMS?  Surely you must be smokin' some good stuff but I would love to hear your logic.  OXY in second place  :o ???

Tom Brady- my thoughts exactly, but I was too nice to say it. I was taking the politically correct route!

rbaikie

To anybody who knows SCIAC sports -

I know Cal Tech fileds teams in a number of sports.

What happens with their baseball team? They have a real short schedule posted and only play 7 or so games against SCIAC teams - yet the website references that a number of Cal Tech players have made made all conference - With such a short schedule, are they still eligible forr all conf? How does the SCIAC consider these games? (I would guess that they have n obearing on the conf standings and are like JV or non-conf games.

Gray Fox

Often, Cal Tech lacks enough pitchers to have a full schedule.
Fierce When Roused

pomonaalum

Read my post again - it says settings, as in places to play, not standings.

CMS wins with the Stanford-esque pine trees.
Oxy is pretty nice with the hillside and all.
Pomona has a beautiful field - somewhat funny dimensions, and the setting could be better, but pretty good.
If Cal Lu has done something with their field, it's been since I played there.
Redlands was ok, except smoggy and hot as hell.
Never cared for LaVerne's facility or its location, jammed into the middle of campus.
Whittier was always really dusty and has no character.
Cal Tech is Cal Tech.

Sabretooth Tiger

Cal Tech was in the process of building some new facilities, including a new baseball facility, last year.  It should be open by now, but I have not seen it.

Tom Brady

Ahhhhh ha Pomonaalum, my bad.
Cal Lu has built a brand new field.  It looks really nice but there is a lot of construction going on out there but it is a step up from the field they had before.  A lot of really nice parks in the SCIAC.  First pitch is coming up quickly.

Tezbaseball

The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

Olinemom

Quote from: Tom Brady on January 10, 2006, 11:14:53 AM
Hmmmm, not too sure if anyone is still out there....anyways, the season is about to begin and I have one question about CLU.  I was driving through Thousand Oaks the other day and took a little detour by the campus to check on the new facilities they are building.  Gym looks great, baseball field is really nice, but there is nothing but the field.  No dugouts, stands, press box, concrete, anything!  Do they expect to play there or are they playing somewhere else??

Well, believe me they play out there.  It was like that last year, mud everywhere.  It seemed far away from campus in the middle of nowhere.  But they were very hospitable,  ;D  Beat us in the last inning of a very long game.  We also played Laverne, and Chapman.  We have played Pomona-P, Claremont and a couple of others in previous years.  We have played Whittier several times.  What a spectacular field setting!  Well, except for how left field that goes sharply up the hill.    If I had to choose though, I think that Redlands has the prettiest campus with the mountain rising up out of center field.  Wow, what a beautiful field that was.  Sure wish we'd go back there one time.  But the Baseball Mom doesn't make those decisions.  She makes brownies (amazing how much she is like the Olinemom, tee hee!!), she cheers her players along and she enjoys the sport.  She has already made plans for the ACC Baseball Tournament in Jacksonville in May and the USA TEAM events in Durham this summer , several weekends with UTenn and U.Miami, UVa, Florida State.  It's going to be a crowded spring along with my BC guys!!  Sleep, I hear,  is highly over-rated.  Pray that gas prices go down a smidge!!  Unfornately this year is our year for going to Atlanta and to Lagrange so no California :( :( :(.    Next year is the biggie.  For my 60th birthday, I'm going to

OMAHA
Brownies for Film Day--Now there's a Slogan I can live with!!!:)  Go EAGLES!

Tom Brady

Olinemom- You are confusing me a little bit by speaking in third person a little bit.  Anyways,  the field you were at last year at CLU must have been the off campus temp. field they were forced to play on due to construction of the new field.    Have a great 60th in Omaha.  I went about 10 years ago and it was probably the coolest thing I have ever done.  Bring your eatin' shoes though cause there is plenty of great food all over that beautiful city.

Olinemom

Quote from: Tom Brady on January 17, 2006, 12:30:59 PM
Olinemom- You are confusing me a little bit by speaking in third person a little bit.  Anyways,  the field you were at last year at CLU must have been the off campus temp. field they were forced to play on due to construction of the new field.    Have a great 60th in Omaha.  I went about 10 years ago and it was probably the coolest thing I have ever done.  Bring your eatin' shoes though cause there is plenty of great food all over that beautiful city.

I know, I sometimes confuse myself, but I can't wait to go to Omaha!!  I am glued to the TV for every game.  I know that you see the games better when you watch on the tube, but you miss the excitement.  I just have to go once.  Well, maybe more than once.    By the way I like your name choice!!  I was sorry he really got hammered the other day.  I was 1 for 4 on the weekend.  Boo hiss!! 
     As to eating --if I can afford to get there and stay there for the series, I may have to go the PB&J route.  You know school teachers don't get the big bucks. ;D  But it's a goal of mine.  Thanks for the encouragement!
Brownies for Film Day--Now there's a Slogan I can live with!!!:)  Go EAGLES!

Tezbaseball

Interesting site. You can see by where a MLB player went to school.

http://baseballreference.com/schools/
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it

Tom Brady

Who starts the season first in the SCIAC.  Any big matchups right off the bat in conference?  Lets go people...

Gray Fox

No schedules yet posted in the SCIAC website designed by College Sports Online, Inc.

They also do the ASC website, and schedules were not posted there either. ???
Fierce When Roused