MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on January 19, 2020, 04:45:15 PM
tough audience

Sorry good buddy, can't help you. I was watching Randolph-Macon vs Guilford and only checking in sporadically on Webster at Eureka. Looked to me like Webster trailed the entire game. I did hear the announcer say, prior to the start of the game, that Webster was a big team, which I took to mean tall. He must not have looked at the rosters. Eureka has substantially more height than Webster.

While on the announcer(s) -- during the women's game (which I did watch most of) about midway through the third period, with Webster up 20+, the announcers completely gave up on the game and started talking about the NFL playoffs and other stuff for pretty much the remainder of the game. Practically no mentions of the score or time remaining or what was happening in the game. I guess they figured only Eureka fans were watching and that they, too, had lost interest. Also, the camera never moved and there was no view of the scoreboard/clock. I doubt anyone watching cared about the stuff they were talking about late in the game. A pretty rude way to treat your audience.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 19, 2020, 05:42:32 PM
Quote from: hopefan on January 19, 2020, 04:45:15 PM
tough audience

While on the announcer(s) -- during the women's game (which I did watch most of) about midway through the third period, with Webster up 20+, the announcers completely gave up on the game and started talking about the NFL playoffs and other stuff for pretty much the remainder of the game. Practically no mentions of the score or time remaining or what was happening in the game. I guess they figured only Eureka fans were watching and that they, too, had lost interest. Also, the camera never moved and there was no view of the scoreboard/clock. I doubt anyone watching cared about the stuff they were talking about late in the game. A pretty rude way to treat your audience.

That's just bad...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

This is the link to the NCAA D3 men's basketball ranking of teams for scoring defense: https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d3/current/team/146

Last night I could not find Greenville on this list. If anyone else is willing to go through it, please let me know if you find them. By my calculations Greenville has given up more points per game than the team currently listed as last (#416 Pacific at 109.0 points per game).

Greek Tragedy

I've checked that list in the past, for fantasy league purposes, obviously, and I've never seen Greenville on that list. I have no idea why they aren't on it. It makes it even more strange that they show up on the scoring offense list.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

Quote from: hopefan on January 20, 2020, 10:44:07 AM
They ran out of space.... ;D ;D ;D

...or the NCAA calculator stops at 110, or 120, or 130  :). By my calculations Greenville has given up 1,841 points in 14 games for an average of 131.5 points per game.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Usually, all you have to do to find a ranking is get to the individual team (use the search menu at the top of the page). When you go into their page you will find rankings for all kinds of stats.

That said, Greenville is indeed missing. There might be a glitch (jokes aside). Not sure why that would be missing.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 20, 2020, 01:23:23 PM
I hope you didn't actually do any calculations.

https://sliac.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/teams?sort=&r=0&pos=def

Yes, 131.5

I did the calculation myself. Not that hard. Glad I got it right.

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 20, 2020, 01:53:09 PM
Usually, all you have to do to find a ranking is get to the individual team (use the search menu at the top of the page). When you go into their page you will find rankings for all kinds of stats.

That said, Greenville is indeed missing. There might be a glitch (jokes aside). Not sure why that would be missing.

Thanks, Dave. Hope the NCAA gets it figured out and puts Greenville where it belongs -- last in scoring defense.

P.S.  I just went back to the NCAA stats link I posted above -- couldn't find a search box. Also,went here : https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d3 which is basically the homepage for D3 stats on NCAA.com. Still couldn't locate a way to search. Perhaps you can post a link to what you are referring to.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 20, 2020, 02:20:44 PM
Better place: https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBB&division=3

That's great. Thanks. Did the search for Greenville. Most stats are there but, as you noted, scoring defense is missing.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: y_jack_lok on January 20, 2020, 03:01:03 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 20, 2020, 02:20:44 PM
Better place: https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MBB&division=3

That's great. Thanks. Did the search for Greenville. Most stats are there but, as you noted, scoring defense is missing.

Well, of course.  Since they give up 22.5 ppg more than the next worst team in the country, it's clear they HAVE no scoring defense! ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Is this more of a equation of more possessions than scoring defense? I think it might be more interesting to see what their scoring defense is per possession than per game. They are playing the system that does cause a lot of turnovers and scoring opportunities, but the possessions for both teams are insanely higher than anyone else. So sure, scoring defense per game is going to be high, but how does it care per possession?

GU1999

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: GU1999 on January 21, 2020, 07:29:18 AM
Henry Johnson with the deep halftime buzzer beater. 

https://twitter.com/gupanthers/status/1219380293880074241?s=21

Very nice! There used to be a buzzer beater page on this site but it was discontinued. I was told there was a lot of work to put into it and it wasn't worth the time. I think Smitty Oom actually volunteered to do it but nothing came of it.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!