American Rivers Conference 2018

Started by Dubuquer, August 13, 2018, 04:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingDuhawk

Quote from: Dubuquer on October 07, 2018, 02:25:23 PM
My wife and I loved the Latino Heritage Night last night and the Spanish broadcast.  It was a great atmosphere and turnout in the Rock Bowl! Hopefully it becomes an annual thing! Luther is good and quite skilled but Loras weathered Luther's few good chances and had the better opportunities and capitalized on them.  The Duhawk are definitely in the driver's seat for the home field advantage through the conference tournament.  They've got another good test coming up Tuesday night against UW-Platteville.  There were a few Pioneers at the game last night and there won't be any surprises; the teams are full of players who know each other well.

From what I know, it was the first time the IPO office had tried something like this. Seemed like it went over well with the campus and fans in attendance.

As for what happened on the pitch, there's no question that Luther is talented, but I think they're too talented and try to do too much. Then as soon as the PK was whistled for, they lost their heads. Need some more senior leadership because it's not always roses and lillies.

Looking forward to Tuesday night. If the Duhawks can earn back-to-back quality wins, certainly brings them into top-3 discussion in the North Region, IMO. Still think they're a 20-25 team nationally, not much higher than that.

Madhatter513

I was unable to see the Luther game but I was surprised they closed the game out at 2-0 after seeing they only out 4 on BV.

Would have liked to see how Loras did with Whitewater, though that team isn't up to standards of previous teams that travel and playing there can sometimes put a disadvantage against visiting team. Would have been a good test.

UWP played Luther and just comparing the stat sheet it looks like Luther controlled that game similar to the Loras one. Luther had 10 shots with 8 on goal and one going in compared to 7 shots 4 on goal with 2 goals for UWP vs Luther having 16 shots with 5 on gal and 0 going in compared to 8 shots 4 on goal and 2 goals for Loras. Should be an interesting game to watch.

I agree with Dubuquer and Loras having a lot of players in the score column is nice for players confidence in themselves and others but not having one rising higher above the rest can be troublesome when the time for a standout is needed to put a tough game away.

Dubuquer

Loras-UWP game rescheduled for 10/21 due to the predicted storms tonight.

soccerguy

Dubuquer

Maybe this will be the kick in the pants that Loras needs, like their Nebraska Wesleyan game last year that launched them on a long win streak leading to NCAAs?  I didn't watch the game but I remember being impressed with Simpson last season.  I'm not terribly shocked by the result with Loras coming off a hard-fought win over Luther last week.  They are good, but definitely not great.

soccerguy

I can understand that. It's been a wacky season this year in the ARC. I mean Simpson tied Buena Vista last week. Luther tied Wartburg yesterday. It's been another wacky year!!

Dubuquer

Loras ekes out a 2-1 win over Wartburg in OT despite playing a man down for  65+ minutes and without Pacholski anchoring the defense.  I hope he's not hurt.  That would be a big loss for the Duhawks.

Ommadawn

Host Knox knocks off (sorry) Loras 1-0.  From what I saw (most of the second half), it looked like a fair result. Knox hit a couple off the crossbar, and looked the better team on the day.

Medicated Pete

Quote from: Ommadawn on October 18, 2018, 05:56:16 PM
Host Knox knocks off (sorry) Loras 1-0.  From what I saw (most of the second half), it looked like a fair result. Knox hit a couple off the crossbar, and looked the better team on the day.
Watched the match, sure doesn't look like there was any cohesiveness on the pitch today for the Duhawks.
No composure whatsoever out there. Someone needs to take control and pass, yes pass the ball around instead of pounding it 50 yards down field and hoping for some type of mistake.
They have plenty of talent but not being utilized to its fullest for sure.
This game hurts, a win would of helped them move up the Regional Rankings  :o

Dubuquer

Loras had a rough finish to the season. Once the heart and soul of their defense (Pacholski) went down to injury they started giving up goals by the bucketful. It didn't help when Pacholski's replacement is now out for the season. I think Loras will be lucky to win the ARC tournament.

Madhatter513

Though they were regular season champions, which congratulations are due since that is never an easy feat, it's looking like the only way for Loras, as well as all ARC teams, to make the NCAA's is to win the ARC tournament.

For Loras with a couple of defenders down, that may be a tough fight. Good thing they had a first round bye to get some legs under them and some extra coaching to fill the gaps. Hopefully the extended time off doesn't make them lackadaisical...

Wartburg vs Lurther @ 7
Central vs Loras @ 7:30

The last three games of the season should all be interesting games.

Dubuquer

The Luther v Loras rematch we expected is now on tap for Saturday.  I didn't see much of the game last night between Loras and Central but from what I did see Loras did not look like they were seriously threatened.  Pacholski was back, which was good to see and undoubtedly helped the Duhawks.  He'll be critical if Loras is to beat Luther again.  I wish I could be there to watch the championship games (men and women) in the Rock Bowl on Saturday! 

diamondJOEY

Any up and coming players for next year? Love hearing about incoming freshmen and POY candidates for the following season.

DuhawkFan

The season is fast approaching.  Anyone have any thoughts on the ARC for this upcoming season?

Gray Fox

Quote from: DuhawkFan on August 16, 2019, 07:34:53 AM
The season is fast approaching.  Anyone have any thoughts on the ARC for this upcoming season?
Welcome aboard.
Fierce When Roused