Pool C -- 2011

Started by Ralph Turner, October 09, 2011, 04:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazzben

Quote from: USee on November 20, 2011, 12:00:01 PM
IWU losing at home to an MWC team will not help the CCIW's case of being a top conference. That's a bad loss for the CCIW and IWU.

The loss at home didn't look good. But I'm waiting to see how Monmouth fairs at UST before I knock IWU/CCIW too much.

If Monmouth's plays UST close or wins, then you're just talking about a very good team. If UST wins convincingly, then I think you've got to knock IWU a little more.

smedindy

Not really. UST is a team I think can beat one of the other Purples, and so they may be expected to lay some lumber on Monmouth.

K-Mack

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on November 17, 2011, 11:37:40 AM
Quote from: jknezek on November 17, 2011, 09:12:22 AM
My point was that "top" team does not necessarily imply the next best team in your region from a football standpoint. For a regional committee, it should imply the most likely team to make the field.

I agree with the first sentence.  I don't entirely agree with the second sentence.  K-Mack and Pat have previously stated that the Regional committees are not playing some devious game to try and steal as many playoff berths as possible for their particular region.

1. The regional committee evaluates the potential Pool C teams in their region.

2. They rank the teams according to set of predetermined criteria.

3. The regional committees put their top-ranked teams (as you've said, not necessarily the "best") up for consideration.

4. The national committee looks at the four teams on the board and selects the one that they would have ranked the "highest" using the SAME EXACT CRITERIA.

5. That team is then replaced with the next team up from the same region.  Repeat steps 4 and 5 until six teams have been selected.

There's no shady "Since CWRU is on the board from the North, we should put St. John Fisher up now because..." kind of logic.  The teams SHOULD come off the board in the same order regardless of who each region puts up at any given time.

This.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 20, 2011, 03:16:16 PM
Re: IWU/Monmouth.

The game went just as I feared it might.  Super QBs can make games weird (see: Chad Rupp vs. NCC, 2008 round two).  I still think IWU is overall the better team, but a 5th year All American QB is apt to come thru in crunch time (we contained him pretty well most of the game), while a sophomore first-year starter (who played VERY well all season) picked the worst possible time to look like the young QB he is.  Teams like UWW, UMU, NCC, etc., may be able to survive 5 TOs; we won't (and didn't).

IWU and Monmouth face each other in bball in a couple of days - I suspect revenge, big time! ;D

Love the analysis and insight. And D3hoops.com promo!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

hazzben

Quote from: smedindy on November 21, 2011, 11:20:28 AM
Not really. UST is a team I think can beat one of the other Purples, and so they may be expected to lay some lumber on Monmouth.

I think we've got to see this on the field first. UST has never gone toe to toe with Mount or UWW. They are very good, don't get me wrong. But Bethel beat them in the playoffs last year and got beat soundly by Mount the next game. This year Bethel was in the game against UST and came up short on a couple redzone possessions.

Judging by what I've seen in person of Mount and UWW, I want to see UST prove on the field that they're in this class. I hope they do, but I'm not crowning them with that until I see it. And even if I do, I've had the sense both the traditional Purple Powers have seemed more vulnerable this year. They're still unbeaten and the teams to beat, but I'm not sure they're quite as dominant as they've been in the past. I'd like to think this gap is closing because the rest of D3 has raised its game, but I'm not convinced it isn't also a 'down' year for the big boys as well.

But that's the beauty of the playoffs. We'll get relative answers to several of these questions in the weeks ahead. Maybe UST really is as good as they tempt us to believe. Maybe the gap is closing with the pack and UWW/UMU. Maybe the Purple Powers are still just as good as ever. Can't wait to watch and see...

SUADC

Quote from: hazzben on November 22, 2011, 10:19:31 AM
Quote from: smedindy on November 21, 2011, 11:20:28 AM

I think we've got to see this on the field first. UST has never gone toe to toe with Mount or UWW. They are very good, don't get me wrong. But Bethel beat them in the playoffs last year and got beat soundly by Mount the next game. This year Bethel was in the game against UST and came up short on a couple redzone possessions.

Judging by what I've seen in person of Mount and UWW, I want to see UST prove on the field that they're in this class. I hope they do, but I'm not crowning them with that until I see it. And even if I do, I've had the sense both the traditional Purple Powers have seemed more vulnerable this year. They're still unbeaten and the teams to beat, but I'm not sure they're quite as dominant as they've been in the past. I'd like to think this gap is closing because the rest of D3 has raised its game, but I'm not convinced it isn't also a 'down' year for the big boys as well.

But that's the beauty of the playoffs. We'll get relative answers to several of these questions in the weeks ahead. Maybe UST really is as good as they tempt us to believe. Maybe the gap is closing with the pack and UWW/UMU. Maybe the Purple Powers are still just as good as ever. Can't wait to watch and see...

I believe St. Thomas is one of those few teams that can play well against the purple powers. However, I aggree 100% with you, until you play them and prove it on the field, you can't make any claims. Similar to Wesley going back to 2005, they have had the oppourtunity to play both purple powers over the last few years and I believe that they were just as athletic, but the purple powers coaching staff and players were on a differet level when it came to finishing. Nevertheless, having a playoff is what makes Division 3 Football so much better than Division 1 FBS, you still have the chance to prove yourself on the field and you never know, St. Thomas might just be that next team to make that jump, hoping to see a different matchup for the Stagg bowl this year.

jknezek

Quote from: SUADC on November 22, 2011, 10:48:05 AM
Nevertheless, having a playoff is what makes Division 3 Football so much better than Division 1 FCS, you still have the chance to prove yourself on the field and you never know, St. Thomas might just be that next team to make that jump, hoping to see a different matchup for the Stagg bowl this year.

Division I FCS does have a playoff. I think you meant FBS which has the monstrosity known as the Bowl Championship Series.

SUADC

Quote from: jknezek on November 22, 2011, 10:54:59 AM
Quote from: SUADC on November 22, 2011, 10:48:05 AM
Nevertheless, having a playoff is what makes Division 3 Football so much better than Division 1 FCS, you still have the chance to prove yourself on the field and you never know, St. Thomas might just be that next team to make that jump, hoping to see a different matchup for the Stagg bowl this year.

Division I FCS does have a playoff. I think you meant FBS which has the monstrosity known as the Bowl Championship Series.

Thanks, modified it.

K-Mack

Yes, playoffs are excellent.

Some guy wrote an article in Kickoff '11 that ID'd five teams most likely to leapfrog the purple powers, perhaps this season.

All five are still alive.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

hazzben

Quote from: K-Mack on November 23, 2011, 12:02:24 AM

Some guy wrote an article in Kickoff '11 that ID'd five teams most likely to leapfrog the purple powers, perhaps this season.

Man, whoever that guy was should get a hefty raise  ;)

hazzben

While I'm thinking about it. Could you predict Bethel will make the jump next year. That'd be even better, given your prescient powers  :D

HScoach

Quote from: hazzben on November 23, 2011, 03:39:23 PM

I was thinking that guy should be fired if any of them didn't make it out of the first round.   ;)
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

K-Mack

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: HScoach on November 23, 2011, 03:43:49 PM
Quote from: hazzben on November 23, 2011, 03:39:23 PM

I was thinking that guy should be fired if any of them didn't make it out of the first round.   ;)

I'd give the poor dude a pass if Linfield hadn't made it - Cal Lu was one tough first round opponent!

Speaking of Linfield, now that the Committee is not afraid to have cross-country games, I wonder if it is not time to modify the noon local time starting rule.  For teams travelling east, it is probably not a big deal for those whose bodies are on CST, but Linfield will be playing at (body-time) 9 freakin' o'clock in the morning (and their coach says the wake-up call will be at 4:30 PST)!  Those of us who remember college (and/or are parents of college students) know that for many if not most teenagers, getting up at noon is NOT considered 'sleeping in'!  Perhaps games could start at noon local time or noon visitors' time, whichever is later?  (With modifications if a home field has no lights, I suppose.)

[One respected (and neutral, for this matchup) poster has already hinted that he suspects Linfield may be the stronger team, but is loathe to pick them not knowing the effects of both a cross-country flight AND playing in practically the middle of the night (body time).]

PA_wesleyfan

+ 1 K
I agree Mr.Ypsi...
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...