MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearsfan1

I would have to give the edge to Hopkins next year based on their returning starters.  Muhlenberg also has a strong nucleus returning with O'Brian the only departing senior.  UC will probably struggle early with the transition of a new point guard. I can see a point guard by committee(Shattuck and Noonan in an alternating role) approach depending on who is brought in next year as freshman.  The team should be stronger towards the end of the season

patcummings

Ursinus has John Noonan who didn't get much PT this year because of seniority, so says Coach Small...but he is incredibly high on Noonan going forward.

A couple funny notes...the Helffreich Hooligans had their normal chants directed against the Farmingdale fans...

"You don't spell good" - hmm...I responded on air...grammatically, it should have been "You don't spell well"

"SAT 905" - ok, c'mon Hooligans...SATs are scored in increments of 10, not 5. 

If you're gonna chant, be accurate, and gramatically correct.

Knightstalker

Quote from: patcummings on March 03, 2006, 01:30:24 PM
Ursinus has John Noonan who didn't get much PT this year because of seniority, so says Coach Small...but he is incredibly high on Noonan going forward.

A couple funny notes...the Helffreich Hooligans had their normal chants directed against the Farmingdale fans...

"You don't spell good" - hmm...I responded on air...grammatically, it should have been "You don't spell well"

"SAT 905" - ok, c'mon Hooligans...SATs are scored in increments of 10, not 5. 

If you're gonna chant, be accurate, and gramatically correct.

Ah I love chants like that, they make me want to out and get the "My Kid Can Beat Up Your Honor Student" bumper stickers and put them everywhere.   :D

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

r.w. mcnickels

It's a shame the Bears weren't able to get that NCAA monkey off their backs last night.  It would have been nice to see them advance.

What will be the legacy of the "McGarvey era"?  Will people remember 3-for-4 in CC titles or the 0-for-3 in NCAAs?  I'll probably remember these Bears as an outstanding team that couldn't get over that NCAA hex.

Someone (either Pat Cummings or commissioner Steve Ulrich, I think it was Ulrich) mentioned during the CC championship broadcast last weekend that the Bears could go down as a dynasty.  I'm assuming he meant a dynasty in the Centennial, as the Bears have been unable to take that success out of the conference.  But I don't necessarily agree that "dynasty" should have been used at all.  Has Kevin Small built and sustained an excellent program for a few years?   Absolutely.  Is it a dynasty?  I'm not so sure.

Best of luck to the UC seniors.  You had one heck of a ride.

Leo

I think the chant ... you don't spell good was a rip at Farmingdale. The hooligans knew the correct grammar.

However, Pat, I will give you the SAT chant. Math is not a strong suit at UC. (j/k, lol)

brian_walsh

Quote from: r.w. mcnickels on March 03, 2006, 02:05:35 PM
Someone (either Pat Cummings or commissioner Steve Ulrich, I think it was Ulrich) mentioned during the CC championship broadcast last weekend that the Bears could go down as a dynasty.  I'm assuming he meant a dynasty in the Centennial, as the Bears have been unable to take that success out of the conference.  But I don't necessarily agree that "dynasty" should have been used at all.  Has Kevin Small built and sustained an excellent program for a few years?   Absolutely.  Is it a dynasty?  I'm not so sure.

I would argue that if you call the New England Patriots an NFL dynasty (3 Super Bowls in 4 years) then Ursinus with its 3 for 4 would be a Centennial Dynasty--I'm also pretty sure no senior class has ever won 3 of 4 before making it an even more impressive accomplishment that adds to its resume for being called a dynasty.

bearsfan1

Just to clarify things the two chants were as follows.

1) The "You can't spell that" chant was in reference to Virginia. because Farmingdale fans were chanting "We're going to Virginia"  I'll admit it was not the most inventive chant to come from the Hooligans this year

2) The "SAT 905" chant was correct because that is the average SAT for Farmingdale according to princetonreview.com.  It shows the average SAT for Ursinus to be a 1214 (obv. not an interval of 10)

Just wanted let everyone know that the Hooligans were on top of their game as always.  ;)

patcummings

Fair, Bearsfan...those just happened to take place when I had my headphones off.

I did not say Ursinus was a dynasty...but 3 CC championships in 4 years is a CC dynasty of sorts, especially in light of what F&M has done...the Dips stand out, but this run for Ursinus has certainly fizzled with no playoff wins

r.w. mcnickels

Pat,

Not sure if you saw my question for you on the Daily Dose blog during the craziness of NCAA stuff last week, so I'll ask here.

You wrote after Thursday's game: "Second year in a row Ursinus goes one-and-out at home to an Atlantic Region team. It could signify the beginning of the end for the Centennial as a serious March competitor."

I thought that was a strange comment to make, considering the CC has never proven to be a March competitor when F&M isn't the representative.  In other words, why would anyone's perception of the conference change this year?  It should only have reinforced things.  Let's be honest: this is not a power conference, although Ursinus probably should have won at least one of its NCAA games.

"Beginning of the end" just seemed like quite a doomsday prediction for the conference as a whole, a pretty powerful statement.  I was just wondering if you thought the Centennial was heading for a rather dark period, as your statement may have suggested.  Am I reading too much into that?  Thanks.

diplomaniac1

Folks -

I posted something similar in the Women's Mid-Atlantice Room. I see that Dana Johns has joined Jerome Maiatico as a recipient of an NCAA post-graduate scholarship. Like Jerome, she was an excellent student, a standout athlete, a good citizen off of the court, and a class act all of the way around. Kudos to both Dana and Jerome for representing F&M well after graduation and their playing days were finished.

Just thought I would try to wake this room up a little bit and to see if there is any life out there! Does anyone have any interesting recruiting news to report?

Have a great summer! Bring on the grill and the golf course! Regards to all.

Eric

diplomaniac1

Folks -

Does anyone out there have any recruiting news or interesting rumours to share with the rest of us? Is there anyone out there at all? Please advise.

Eric

bearsfan1

This is just a question I have been thinking about for awhile.  The response to this question also depends on if any people from these boards are from the philly area.  Episcopal Academy (HS in Lower Merion near Saint Joe's) had three DI signees on thier basketball team(UNC,Duke, Albany).  The question I have is this:can a HS like this compete against D3 colleges?  I never really paid attention to my HS in terms of basketball so I am not able to compare the HS level to the college(D3) level.  For a team like EA, the athleticism is there but I am wondering if a D3 school(like our CC teams) run more complicated playsets that would counteract a possible athletic advantage.  Just something I have been wondering and wanted to know if anyone could enlighten.

Knightstalker

Bearsfan, I actually think some of the top Parochial schools could compete against most D-III teams and beat many of them.  I am not familiar with the Philly schools but in northern NJ, I think schools like St. Anothonys, St. Patricks, Seton Hall Prep, Christian Brothers etc that send two or three players to D-I programs every year would definitely be able to play with most D-III teams.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

r.w. mcnickels

Quote from: bearsfan1 on June 07, 2006, 08:14:26 AM
The question I have is this: can a HS like this compete against D3 colleges? 

I've wondered this in the past, too.  Last winter, I saw Lower Merion play and thought they could compete with at least some middle-of-the-pack teams in the CC and CAC.  They had a pair of D-I recruits.

cc_fan

It finally looks like Ursinus is getting a wood floor for the basketball court!!!  This is long overdue.  I couldn't believe they built a brand new field house about 5 years ago but did not upgrade the basketball court.