The official ATN Division III alumni thread

Started by K-Mack, November 05, 2009, 05:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

As explained in this week's ATN:

Readers: With a column in Division III players and coaches in the NFL scheduled for next week, it's finally time for us to assemble the official ATN Division III alumni list.

Here's how I'd like to divide it up. Alumni who played in Division III or just went to a Divisioin III school (alumni don't have to be graduates, but generally have to have completed one year). And then let's further subdivide the first list by if they're famous for the after-D3 accomplishments in football or in another field. An example:

PLAYED/COACHED AT A CURRENT DIVISION III SCHOOL
K.C. Keeler, Rowan coach (won 2003 Division I-AA championship at Delaware)
Josh McDaniels, John Carroll wide receiver, '95 to '99 (Denver Broncos head coach)
---
Ronald Reagan, Eureka guard, '28 to 32 (President)

ATTENDED A CURRENT D3 BUT DIDN'T PLAY:
Jim Belushi, UW-Whitewater, '68 (actor, Saturday Night Live)
World B. Free, Guilford, '72 (NBA star)
Barack Obama, Occidental, '79 to '81 (President)

Include the years they attended/played/coached, and their position if you know them. Keep the accomplishments brief enough to fit on the same line.

Without using the quote function, copy the list each time you add to it so the full list is always on the most current post. Use your best judgment as to who qualifies as "famous." The man who invented e-mail (RPI) maybe isn't, but ought to be. My alma mater's famous alumni include a U.S. representative and the founder of Dollar Tree. I wouldn't add them.

Those who attended schools which are now Division III before the NCAA divided in 1973, or before the school joined, qualify. An example is former Detroit Lions coach Rod Marinelli, who is not a Division III alum, but played football at Cal Lutheran from 1969-72, when it was NAIA. Free is another example, having led Guilford to the 1972 NAIA basketball championship.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Here's some other references for those motivated enough to fill in:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=6070.0

At the very bottom of this page:
http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=3800.645

(go forward and backward on this list)
http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=3584.120

The most recently updated list of D3 players in the NFL, via our FAQ page:
http://www.d3football.com/faq.php?answer&category=General&id=30

I'll definitely do an update later if no one else does.

We'll probably have to draw the line at playing in the Arena league or some other football league, unless you have Matt D'Orazio-like success. Otherwise the list would be unbearable.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

OC_SID

Keith,

I am using my phone to view the boards and can't copy and paste.

Dave Cutler '65 -- I can get his exact playing years -- Dave was a software engineer at Microsoft and developed Windows NT.

Nihon Tiger

OldSchoolTiger did a great job with Famous Oxy Alums:

QuoteIn addition to the Pres-Elect spending two years at Oxy - here's a few others...

Way Back - 60's and before
Jack Kemp, Politician/NFL QB
Robinson Jeffers, US poet laureate
Sammy Lee, Olympic gold medalist 2x
Jim Mora Sr, NFL coach
Ron Botchan, NFL ref
Jim Tunney, NFL ref

Less Back - 70's, 80's and 90's
Vance Mueller, NFL player 5 yrs - one of the great RBs in D3 history
Terry Gilliam, actor/artist original Monty Python member
Patt Morrison, NPR host
Howard Ahmanson, super rich guy ie Ahmanson Theatre
Bob Ike, horse racing analyst - maybe the greatest sciac basketball player (think Gasol)
Dave Hodges, D3 All-Amer LB and Captain of USA Rugby
Alphonso Bell, Congressman
Jon Finsteun, D3 All-Amer WR - Geophysicist
Todd Garner - Producer, of many of the movies you've seen in the past 15 yrs
Olin Browne - PGA golfer

and along with Obama
Ben Affleck, Actor - must have began making big money, did not graduate
Luke Wilson, Actor - see above
Sam Farmer, LA Times feature sports writer and author, with whom I shared many a class.

I'll add a couple more:

Will Friedle - played the wacky older brother on the TV show "Boy Meets World".  Important because according to Wikipedia he dated Jennifer Love Hewitt, and having an alumni who did that should raise the profile of any school.

Milton Davis '09- Played J.P., the orphan kid who is afraid of cars in the movie "Angels in the Outfield".  Important because it was awesome to flap my arms like in the movie and use his famous quote "it could happen!" when he was behind in beer pong.

K-Mack

This is gonna be a mess  ;D

Hopefully we'll have a really nice list by next week's ATN though!

Feel free just to add in years or make corrections. I'd prefer to have help incorporating the above additions into a nice clean list. And not all of them qualify ;D

PLAYED/COACHED AT A CURRENT DIVISION III SCHOOL
K.C. Keeler, Rowan coach (won 2003 Division I-AA championship at Delaware)
Josh McDaniels, John Carroll wide receiver, '95 to '99 (Denver Broncos head coach)
---
Luke Rahvenstahl, Wash. & Jeff. kicker (Mayor of Pittsburgh, recently re-elected; 26 when he took over)
Ronald Reagan, Eureka guard, '28 to 32 (President)

ATTENDED A CURRENT D3 BUT DIDN'T PLAY:
Jim Belushi, UW-Whitewater, '68 (actor, Saturday Night Live)
World B. Free, Guilford, '72 (NBA star)
Roger Goodell, Wash. & Jeff. '81 (NFL Commissioner)
Barack Obama, Occidental, '79 to '81 (President)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Mr. Ypsi

I'll add two from the CCIW - one football, one basketball:

Ken Anderson, Augustana, 1967-70, NFL MVP 1981 (qb)
Jack Sikma, IWU, 1973-77, 7-time NBA All Star (center)

Not too shabby for 'small-time' college players! ;)

Gray Fox

Don't forget Whittier player Richard Nixon.

And Whittier coaches Don Coryell and George Allen.
Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

McMurry

Brad Rowland Running Back (1948-1950) College Football Hall of Fame, 2008.  Drafted by Chicago Bears in 1950, played one season before being drafted for Korean War.

Grant Teaff McMurry player 1955, Assistant Coach 1957-59, Head Coach 1960-65.  Executive Director American Football Coaches Association, 1993 to date.  College Football Hall of Fame 2001

Chuck Fallon, McMurry player, 1980-83 (then NAIA-II), now President of Burger King, North America.

cawcdad

Scott Brosius, Linfield baseball player 1985-87(NAIA), Current Linfield baseball coach. (Oakland Athletics and New York Yankees. World Series MVP 1998)

Mr. Ypsi

Leaving out hundreds, but can't resist adding one of my favorites (though he not only pre-dates d3, he pre-dates football!):

Major John Wesley Powell lost an arm in the Civil War; later led the first expedition through the Grand Canyon and was second director of the U.S. Geological Survey.  Between the Civil War and the expedition, he was Professor of Geology at IWU.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 05, 2009, 11:52:06 PM
Leaving out hundreds, but can't resist adding one of my favorites (though he not only pre-dates d3, he pre-dates football!):

Major John Wesley Powell lost an arm in the Civil War; later led the first expedition through the Grand Canyon and was second director of the U.S. Geological Survey.  Between the Civil War and the expedition, he was Professor of Geology at IWU.
One of my favorites, too.  Whitewater rafting down the undammed Colorado River counts as real sport!   :)

Gray Fox

If it's not just football.

- in 1979, Gregg Popovich was named the head coach at Pomona-Pitzer in Claremont, California. Spent the next eight seasons at Pomona ... during the 1985-86 season led team to its first conference championship in 68 years and to berth in the NCAA Division III Tournament

Fierce When Roused

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 05, 2009, 11:57:16 PM

One of my favorites, too.  Whitewater rafting down the undammed Colorado River counts as real sport!   :)

Alas, none of us will ever know that experience. :(

Gray Fox

I'll bet he called it the "damned" Colorado River more than a few times. ;D
Fierce When Roused

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gray Fox on November 06, 2009, 12:03:22 AM

Major John Wesley Powell lost an arm in the Civil War; later led the first expedition through the Grand Canyon and was second director of the U.S. Geological Survey.  Between the Civil War and the expedition, he was Professor of Geology at IWU.
One of my favorites, too.  Whitewater rafting down the undammed Colorado River counts as real sport!   :)
I'll bet he called it the "damned" Colorado River more than a few times. ;D

No doubt!  Three members of the expedition mutinied and decided to climb out of the canyon.  Their fate is unknown to history (but likely not good).