Women's OAC 2013

Started by woacfan, June 26, 2013, 07:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woacfan

So, Crusader Nation, any predictions for tomorrow's game?  I predict (unfortunately) the Crusaders 3-0.
However, if the Blue Streaks somehow score first all bets are off. 
The Crusaders have too much offense and the Streaks have too little.  It could get really ugly if the Streaks don't defend the outside positions better.

By the way,  the Bennett rankings (for what they are worth) have JCU as the 158th ranked team in the country and Capital at 107.  Its a mathematical formula based on difficulty of opponent, record and some other stats.  They have the OAC as that 16th ranked conference of the 47 college conferences.  Can't speak to the team rankings, but the conference ranking feels about right to me.
"We talk about it for 20 minutes and then we decide I was right" - Brian Clough

CrusaderNation

With the weather prediction calling for rain WOAC anything can happen.  No predictions on a winner, but, think that the team who finds their sytle of play will be the one that wins.  I think Capital is better with the ball at feet and from what I have seen JCU seems to try to go direct a bit more.... that can be dangerous in the rain!  So, we will see.

I saw the Bennett rankings.  Not sure how they work because it has ONU ranked much higher with a losing record and results against teams Capital beat but ONU lost to (wittenburg, Thomas More, etc.) But, according to the site some of it has to do with where your team started in the rankings.  ONU started much higher than the other OAC teams, so, that variable may account for the discrepancy.

In terms of the OAC I think that is fair.  When you look at the schedules most of hte OAC teams play any ranking that takes into account strength of schedule will not be kind to the OAC.  It just comes down to wether or not the coach is willing to put wins on the line to challenge their players.

The fun kicks off in an hour with ONU & MU.... prediction on that one will be ONU 1-0!

woacfan

Your week 1 winners and losers:

Baldwin Wallace
Capital 
Mount Union
Wilmington (Ohio)
Heidelberg
______
Muskingum 
Otterbein 
John Carroll
Ohio Northern 
Marietta 

First,  Congratulations to the Crusaders who topped my Blue Streaks 2 - 0.   A loss is a loss, but some good takeaways for JCU.  They didn't give up after falling behind, which should help them down the stretch.  They still need to score more and shore up the d a little bit.   Crusaders passed nicely and have some finishers.  They are a very nicely coached team and their players looked good today.

Mount Union showed they were for real with a win over ONU.

I am looking for Otterbein, ONU or my Streaks to make a run to the playoffs, but I think the top three look to be BW, Cap and MU.  Wilmington always fields a good team.   On to game 2.  An interesting matchup between JCU and Otterbein this week.

CrusaderNation

With the injury issues JCU is facing they did very well today and gave Cap a great run.  In the end I think you are right that the Crusaders just had a few more players who can put the ball away around the net.  Overall a decent showing for Cap but unfortunately not special.

As for ONU & MU I was right for 72 minutes about ONU being 1-0.  However, give credit to MU for having the offensive explosion of 2:30 for three goals.  They lost the stat battle but again scored goals when they were around the net and won the war.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at the Ott v BW game.  Curious to find out if it was a physical battle or if Ott is just struggling to put the ball in the net?  Could come down to a mistake or a set piece to decide the JCU v Ott game this week!

The Wil v Musk result showed what I expected.  The schedule Musk played may have given them the best start in program history, but, it did not prepare them for the OAC season.  I would expect the slide to continue but they are at least an improved team which is a credit to MB.

woacfan

Another rough game for JCU where the final score doesn't necessarily reflect the run of play....setting up an early "must win" game versus Marietta this weekend.

CrusaderNation

I am sure it was disappointing.  Taking an early lead on the road and not being able to hold it is tough.  I do not see any sort of difficulty for your Blue Streaks against Marietta... seems just what the doctor ordered!

We will see how things fall for the Crusaders in the coming weeks.  Both Cap and ONU will have to play four games in 7 days due to the unplayable field conditions at ONU the other day.  Going to be a difficult road to hoe for Cap!

CrusaderNation

Appears that the Blue Streaks found their scoring touch today!  They just jumped to the top of the OAC in scoring.... congrats woacfan!

woacfan

Thanks CN !  It was a fun game to watch and a much needed confidence boost.
It was also an emotional day because Coach Blasius is now at Marietta. Looking back, the Blue Streaks were always competitive during her tenure.  I would like to add, that if Marietta gives her a chance, she will build a good team there.  It was nice to see the Blue Streak upper classmen meet with her after the game and share stories. 

1 and 2 isn't great, but it looks a lot better than 0-3.  I don't have any pretensions of the Streaks getting a bye this year, but if they can get into the playoffs anything is possible.

I've had a busy week and I am just catching up on posts.  The Crusaders have an awful stretch with that weather cancellation.  Three away games in 5 days is brutal.  It seems like there has to be a better solution than that.  Its rough on the team, but it also has to be difficult to the students' academic schedules.  I am confident they will come out on top, but its too bad all the same. Any chance the canceled game at Otterbein could be moved to any other spot on the calendar?

How about ONU and B-W today?  The Polar Bears got a convincing win at home against a team that seemed to be one of the clear favorites.  Once again, October is wide open.

CrusaderNation

Yes, the ONU reschedule has made it a near impossibility for Capital to have a legitimate chance at an OAC championship.  You can not play 4 games in 7 days with three of them on the road and two back to back and think they will physically or mentially be able to succeed.  But, that is the way the OAC schedule goes and that is what happens when you have teams playing on grass fields that are affected by weather!  Too bad because till this point there has been promise for the Crusaders.

As for the ONU v BW game I am surprised by the final score but not suprised by the result.  BW has alot of wins but their competition has been less than stellar.  So, with a pumped up ONU team opening their new stadium on Parents Day I would have expected the result.  ONU also has a much easier road ahead of them even with the Capital reschedule.  Their four games include Marietta, Heidelberg and then a match up with JCU.  Expect them to rest lots of kids vs. Marietta to save them for Capital the next day while Cap will have to play everyone to get a result vs. MU at MU!

By the end of next week i would not be surprised to see ONU and OTT back at the top due to games they play during the week and the way things have fallen into place.  Wilmington found out vs. MU a big advantage (17 shots to 2 shots) does not translate into wins or success but I do not think that will happen to those two!

woacfan

Blue Streaks 1, Mount Union 0; Probably the best "total performance" for JCU this season.  The score didn't reflect the run of play.  JCU was in control from start to finish.  They showed beautiful maturity by playing the ball into the corner rather than taking scoring runs at the end of the game.  A well managed game.  At 2-2 it puts the Streaks back into the playoff conversation, at least for now.

CrusaderNation

I saw the game on video and I agree... looked like a much more dangerous JCU team, so, it seems they have arrived at a good time.  Unfortunate run for the Crusaders at Wilmington.  Took some early heat and then ran the game for the next 60 minutes only to give up a handball pk in the box with minutes remaining.  The GK saved the kick but everyone stood there and watched as the shooter followed up and put it away for the game winner.

Today made it very clear that there is not one team in the conference who is a clear front runner and force to be dealt with.  Everyone has lost and lost to different teams.  So, with this average year for the OAC it will be a 1 trick pony in the NCAA Tournament this time around.  Just going to be interesting to see who ends up riding the horse!

woacfan

Below I've posted the conference records after four games.  As it stands now, almost everyone is still in the mix.  I would say most people might consider Wilmington a bit of a surprise, but perhaps they shouldn't be.  Traditionally, they have a strong squad.  Last year, they surprised the Streaks at the end of the season and gave them fits in their final game.  I should add that fortune then smiled on them with their upset of the Crusaders and BW's misfortune.  The JCU-Wilmington game at the end of the season may determine if the Streaks get into the playoffs.

That being said, everyone looks beatable. 

The Capital-MU matchup becomes more interesting in light of yesterday's score.  MU's offense was held in check by the Streaks vastly underrated midfield, but MU has an excellent keeper.  Capital needs to get lots of chances and pressure.  I think their best chances will come from deflections and bounces - "dirty" goals will be a key.

Hopefully, the Crusaders can string back-to-back wins together because the conference will get reaaaaaaallly interesting if that happens!!!!

Tuesday,  the Streaks host B-W.  That game always worries me.  The elbows are always flying with B-W and they always seem to have professional wrestling referees officiating that game....haha!   ;D..A lot goes uncalled! 

One of the things I've enjoyed most about watching the OAC is the conference play.  It is so competitive.  Frankly,  I think it hurts the OAC clubs in the rankings, but it makes for an enjoyable October for any soccer fan.

Last thought for tonight.  I took a look at the historical team standings.  A .500 record is probably enough to get you into the playoffs.  After that it gets a little sketchy.  JCU still needs to knock off Wilmington, Ohio Northern or BW to have a good chance to make the playoffs.  That may be a tall order for them.

As for Capital,  if they make it out of this weekend with one win I think they will still be in good shape.  If they get both (admittedly a tall order) they will be in great shape.

Conference                                                                     Overall

GP                 Record                     Win %       GP Record Win %
Baldwin Wallace             4                   3-1-0                      0.750        14 12-2-0 0.857
Mount Union                  4                   3-1-0                      0.750        14 10-3-1 0.750
Wilmington (Ohio)          4                   3-1-0                      0.750        14 9-4-1 0.679
Capital                          3                   2-1-0                       0.667        13 9-3-1 0.731
Ohio Northern                3                   2-1-0                      0.667         13 6-6-1 0.500
Otterbein                       4                   2-2-0                      0.500         13 7-5-1 0.577
John Carroll                   4                   2-2-0                      0.500         14 5-6-3 0.464
Muskingum                    4                   1-3-0                      0.250         14 8-4-2 0.643
Heidelberg                     4                   1-3-0                      0.250         14 2-11-1 0.179
Marietta                        4                    0-4-0                      0.000         13 2-11-0 0.154

For Games Through: Oct 17, 2013 10:41:35 AM

woacfan

Crusader Nation....I need an update!!!!  What a comeback!  Your Crusaders are down 1 to 0 in the 72nd minute against (perhaps) the best keeper in the conference and they come back to win 2 to 1.  As the sports cliche' goes, "Good teams find a way to win!"

The Streaks handled Muskingum easily.  A very lopsided affair.  Despite climbing over .500 for the first time this season,  they haven't made much headway in the standings.  I stand by my post yesterday,  I still think about a .500 record should get them into the playoffs, but it would be nice if they could host at least one game.  The road trips are killing me!!!! haha! :D

BW looks formidable.  They are leading Wilmington 3-1 with four minutes left as I write this.  I thought that might have been a closer game.  The Streaks will have a tall order to compete with them on Tuesday.

I hate to say it CN, but your post from earlier this week was prescient.  Tomorrow's game between Capital and ONU might determine second seed or top seed in the conference.  The scheduling is awful!

CrusaderNation

Thanks for the comment WOAC.  Also, congratulations to the Blue Streaks.  With the way they played against Mount Union I figured they would be able to move the ball and handle things against Muskingum. 

To be honest it was not that much of a come back.  Capital controlled the entire game, much like your Blue Streaks did, but simply could not finish until late.  MU got a transition goal against the flow of play, which was a really nice play on their part, but other than that their chances were not serious.  As for the keeper in my opinion she is alright, but, far from one of the best.  The first goal was terrific and offered her no chance.  The second goal was a great half chance.

It is a shame that the ONU v Capital game today will, for all intensive purposes, decide if ONU will win the regular season #1 tournament seeding.  Since they beat BW and Ott it seems the Crusaders are the only team likely to stop them.  If Capital can pull it off they will essentially have two more "OAC Regular season title games" on the next two Saturdays vs BW and Ott.

IN terms of BW they are tough because they are so physical.  That dictates the play of most games and it takes a very concerted effort to play good soccer against them.  I am not surprised by the BW - Wil game as Capital controlled the game against them for a huge portion of the game and just could not finish.  I did not expect the same to happen on a turf field as opposed to the little grass field at Wilmington.

We will see how today goes... maybe we will have a regular season winner, maybe we will not?

woacfan

Tough loss versus ONU today for the Crusaders.  Back-to-back games are tough.  That was a horrible break for Capital today.  However, they are still in the hunt.

As for my Streaks,  they have a tough week ahead---BW on Tuesday and ONU on Friday night.  Its must win time for them.  If recent history holds true,  my undersized Streaks will take a physical beating from BW and the refs seem to always have their whistles in their pockets for that game.  I could go on, but.... :-X