East Region Fan Poll

Started by gobombers15, December 19, 2008, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombers15

Hey guys, I'm still waiting for two polls to roll in. Once they get in, I will post the poll immediately. I hope to have it up by the end of the weekend, but if the people whose polls are missing are on vacation for the holidays, there's only so much I can do.

As a little bit of a preview, I can tell you this:

-Ithaca, UR and NYU are the only teams to appear on everyone's poll.

-As a  result, barring anything crazy in the last two polls, those will be the top three ranked teams (not necessarily in that order, though)

-As should be expected with a lot of OOC games, very little head-to-head and not many common opponents, the polls were all over the map after the top three or four. In fact, I don't think there has been anything close to a duplicate poll. Again, not surprising.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

thebear

Surprised that SLU wasn't included on all cards. Veteran team, with excellent first year adds.  Beat Middlebury who is ARV.  Came back from 20 down vs. Ithaca to pull within 1.  Don't see a huge gap between SLU & Ithaca as far as talent or depth.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

gobombers15

Quote from: thebear on December 20, 2008, 02:12:46 PM
Surprised that SLU wasn't included on all cards. Veteran team, with excellent first year adds.  Beat Middlebury who is ARV.  Came back from 20 down vs. Ithaca to pull within 1.  Don't see a huge gap between SLU & Ithaca as far as talent or depth.

Agreed. They were only left off one ballot so far. Their two losses came against teams currently ranked #13 (Ursinus) and #19, respectively, and both were close. I'm sure that will correct itself over time.

magicman

gb15

Why not just post the poll based on the responses you have. It looks like the 2 missing pollsters aren't going to adhere to the deadline, didn't get your messages, or just don't care. At least we'll have a starting point for the next poll, which I'm assuming will now be on Sunday, Dec. 28th.

gobombers15

Quote from: magicman on December 22, 2008, 02:37:13 AM
gb15

Why not just post the poll based on the responses you have. It looks like the 2 missing pollsters aren't going to adhere to the deadline, didn't get your messages, or just don't care. At least we'll have a starting point for the next poll, which I'm assuming will now be on Sunday, Dec. 28th.

I am going to give them until the 27th to submit their polls. I'm not sure what the deal is since both messaged me back very quickly with their interest in participating. In the event they don't submit the poll by then, I'm going to have to start looking for new pollsters.

Next poll will be due Sunday, January 4th. No point in submitting another one next weekend, not much basketball will have been played between the polls.

gobombers15

Now down to only one missing poll. Where are ya, Shooters?

magicman

Quote from: gobombers15 on December 24, 2008, 10:10:06 PM

Why don't you submit a poll in his place. Then you'll have your 10 opinions and you can post the results. Since we've been waiting 10 days for the results, and in less than 2 hours it'll be Christmas, it will be our Christmas present. ;)

When we do the Top 25 posters poll, Mr Y waits until Monday and then post the results, regardless of how many polls he has received. It's only fair that the guys who put the effort into ranking the teams get to see the results before 2 weeks go by. If Shooters is too busy at this time, then go without him. I'm sure he'll probably catch us next time. And as I stated before you should really add your poll in the mix every week. I don't think anyone will feel you're compromising the poll if you vote. Just a thought.

gobombers15

Quote from: magicman on December 24, 2008, 10:32:31 PM

Why don't you submit a poll in his place. Then you'll have your 10 opinions and you can post the results. Since we've been waiting 10 days for the results, and in less than 2 hours it'll be Christmas, it will be our Christmas present. ;)

When we do the Top 25 posters poll, Mr Y waits until Monday and then post the results, regardless of how many polls he has received. It's only fair that the guys who put the effort into ranking the teams get to see the results before 2 weeks go by. If Shooters is too busy at this time, then go without him. I'm sure he'll probably catch us next time. And as I stated before you should really add your poll in the mix every week. I don't think anyone will feel you're compromising the poll if you vote. Just a thought.

I'm giving in and becoming the 10th voter for this week. Hopefully, Shooters will be around after the holidays and he will be our 10th pollster. I will work on finishing the poll when I get a minute here and there throughout the day. Should have it posted by tonight for your Christmas (or Holiday) viewing pleasure.

magicman

Quote from: gobombers15 on December 25, 2008, 02:24:24 PM
Quote from: magicman on December 24, 2008, 10:32:31 PM

I'm giving in and becoming the 10th voter for this week. Hopefully, Shooters will be around after the holidays and he will be our 10th pollster. I will work on finishing the poll when I get a minute here and there throughout the day. Should have it posted by tonight for your Christmas (or Holiday) viewing pleasure.

Good man!  Plus K

gobombers15

East Region Fan Poll - Poll #1

#School (1st votes)RecordPtsNext Games
1Ithaca ( 10 )
8-0
at Elmira, at Alfred
2NYU
6-0
vs Rivier, vs TBA
3Rochester
6-2
at #7 Clarkson, at Brandeis
4St. Lawrence
4-2
at Widener, at TBA
5Hamilton
5-2
vs Middlebury, at Connecticut College
6Oneonta State
7-3
vs Utica, at #2 NYU
7Clarkson
6-1
vs Hilbert, vs #3 Rochester
8Geneseo State
5-2
vs Medaille, at Pitt-Bradford

Others Receiving votes:      

Stevens (13)
Potsdam State (11)
Oswego State (9)
Fisher (6)
Fredonia State (4)
Nazareth (3)

Voting Breakdown:

Ithaca (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

NYU (2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4, 6, 4, 2)

Rochester (3, 4, 3, 5, 5, 2, 2, 7, 3, 4)

St. Lawrence (8, 3, 7, 3, 3, -, 5, 4, 2, 3)

Hamilton (-, -, 6, 7, -, -, 3, 5, 6, 5)

Oneonta (4, -, 5, 4, -, 4, 8, -, -, -)

Clarkson (6, 5, -, -, 6, 5, 7, -, -, 6)

Geneseo (-, -, -, 6, 4, -, -, 3, -, -)

Stevens (7, 7, 4, 8, -, 6, -, -, -, -)

Potsdam (-, 8, 8, -, 7, 7, 6, -, -, 7)

Oswego (-, -, -, -, 8, 8, -, 2, -, -)

Fisher (-, -, -, -, -, -, -, 8, 5, 8 )

Fredonia (5, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

Nazareth (-, 6, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

with age came?

Cool gb15 - I too am surprised by some of the voting, especially only 1 e-8 team in the top ten.  Thought Hartwick & St John Fisher &  Stevens & perhaps even Utica might have cracked the top ten.  Very difficult after the top four to gage voting apparently.

Ethelred the Unready

Quote from: with age came? on December 26, 2008, 11:55:55 PM
Cool gb15 - I too am surprised by some of the voting, especially only 1 e-8 team in the top ten.  Thought Hartwick & St John Fisher &  Stevens & perhaps even Utica might have cracked the top ten.  Very difficult after the top four to gage voting apparently.

Well, in all fairness Utica is 3-2, SJF has only played 4 games, Hartwick, with the exception of the Oneonta win, has played a pretty soft schedule, and Stevens got some love.  This poll has a pretty limited baseline that will improve with time.
"Your mind is on vacation but your mouth is working overtime" - Mose Allison

thebear

David Wilson has picked up where Massey left off and has computerized D-III team rankings

site:

http://talismanred.com/ratings/hoops/divisioniii.shtml

East Region Rankings

NYU 1
Ithaca 3
SLU 30
Stevens 42
Clarkson 45
Potsdam 47
Rochester 50
St. John Fisher 54

Fan Poll is pretty much right on, not sure why Geneseo is ranked as high as 3 with a loss to Potsdam (playing without their best big).

Clarkson vs. Rochester should be pretty revealing as to how good the Knights really are.

Will be interesting to compare as more games get added.

Happy New Year
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

gobombers15

Quote from: thebear on December 27, 2008, 01:41:53 PM
David Wilson has picked up where Massey left off and has computerized D-III team rankings

site:

http://talismanred.com/ratings/hoops/divisioniii.shtml

East Region Rankings

NYU 1
Ithaca 3
SLU 30
Stevens 42
Clarkson 45
Potsdam 47
Rochester 50
St. John Fisher 54

Fan Poll is pretty much right on, not sure why Geneseo is ranked as high as 3 with a loss to Potsdam (playing without their best big).

Clarkson vs. Rochester should be pretty revealing as to how good the Knights really are.

Will be interesting to compare as more games get added.

Happy New Year

Essentially, Stevens is the #8 team in that poll. That one #3 vote for Geneseo is a bit of an outlier and catapulted them by the Ducks.  Fisher and Utica were both hurt by lack of games, I think.

Pollsters--don't forget, next poll should be sent to me on Sunday, January 4th. We should know a bit more by then.

bearnation

The computerized DIII poll has the correct win lose records however they have not updated changes in the conferences such as Stevens still is the SKYLINE Conference and SUNYIT still in the SUNYAC.  Hard to accept a poll when one doesn't do their homework! I guess this is why we play the games.