2015 National Tournament

Started by Purplegatorade, November 11, 2015, 10:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2xfaux

Well, let the upsets begin.  So much for my idea of a CMU v TM quarter final. 

Mr. Ypsi

Confoundit!!

IWU already beat UWW earlier this year.

Despite a 15-4 advantage in shots, and a 12-2 advantage in shots on goal, IWU falls 1-2 in OT. :'(

Mr.Peanut17

Weather in Kansas City looks to be shaping up, much better than last year's sub-30 degrees for the Finals.

Djbomb

Quote from: DiggityDog on November 16, 2015, 02:15:41 PM
Heading into the Sweet 16, I thought I would analyze the relative strength of the remaining teams.  Since Massey and BennettRank have their weaknesses, I thought the best comparison would be to look at the number of victories each team had this season (before the tournament) against teams selected to the tournament.  Presumably, the more victories against teams that either won their conference or were at-large selections, the stronger the team.  I recognize that there are flaws to this analysis, but it's just for fun, right?

Ill. Wesleyan - 7
Carnegie Mellon - 5
Wisconsin-Whitewater - 5
Washington-St. Louis - 4
Messiah - 4
Brandeis - 4
Williams - 3
Thomas More - 3
Rowan - 2
Swarthmore - 2
Calvin - 2
Centre - 2
Stevens - 2
Hardin-Simmons - 1
Wartburg - 1
William Smith - 1

For those of you that thought Trinity (Texas) was unfairly paired with Texas (Tyler) in the first round, just note that Texas (Tyler) had only 1 victory against a tournament team and Trinity (Texas) had only 2.  Trinity's loss to Hardin-Simmons, who also only had 1 victory against a tournament team, makes for a compelling argument that the NCAA got it right.  I don't necessarily agree with this, but just stating what the numbers suggest.  Wash. U fans may have a better argument than Trinity since they had to face a 4-victory Denison team in the second round, despite being a #1 seed.  On the flip side, William Smith fans should be elated that they received a #1 seed and hosting rights, despite only having won 1 game all season against a tournament team. Go figure!

This all looks good, except that Messiah played 5 teams, beating four and tying William Smith away.  Almost as good as a win.

Ocean 1

Believe it's WIlliams over Centre to meet Messiah for the Championship. In their only previous meeting a few years back, Williams lost to Messiah 1-0 at a neutral site.

jumpshot

Go to the Williams College sports information page to find a story on the women's soccer team's journey to the Final Four, particularly the embedded link midway through the article of an excellent television interview with a captain and coach.

blooter442

What an incredible performance from Lizzy Crist of WashU in the shootout. Three saves in a row to keep her team in it. Seems like WashU players missed trying to take the perfect shot but Crist kept them in it even when it was match point. Heartbreaker for Messiah.

WUPHF

BEARS WIN, BEARS WIN, BEARS WIN!

Lizzy Crist brings the Bears back from the dead, saves three consecutive penalties after missing her own attempt!

Have you ever seen anything like that?

Chances are you have not.

Woo!

Ocean 1

It was an incredible performance by Crist and the Bears!  :D

jaybird44

Amy French was the keeper that took one of the PKs for Wash-U, not Crist.

Crist was sublime in goal.  Had big saves before the PK round too--especially the diving stop to prevent a partial breakaway from producing a Messiah goal. Has played tremendous all season.

Megan Nicklay was like a bouncer that let no one behind the velvet rope.  Her defending was sensational, as was the rest of the Bears' backs today.

Total team effort that was superb...well done Bears!!  Good luck in the national championship game!

WUPHF

Thanks for the correction: watching the game in the DUC and the picture was not all that clear.  Plus, the announcer reported it as Crist.

jaybird44

No problem...didn't mean to sound like I was snippy.  Both French and Crist wear same-colored jerseys, so it was tough to figure out who took the PK.

WUPHF

Quote from: jaybird44 on December 05, 2015, 12:38:50 AM
No problem...didn't mean to sound like I was snippy.  Both French and Crist wear same-colored jerseys, so it was tough to figure out who took the PK.

Oh, no, I did not think that.  I get so much wrong that I instinctively blame others if it was not my fault.

WUPHF

Congratulations to Williams and Ephs fans.  The game winning assist and goal were brilliant.  The best team won the championship today.

Ocean 1

No doubt...lot's of firsts.

First back-to-back Final Four's and first Women's Soccer National Championship at Williams and for NESCAC.

Congratulations Lady EPHS and NESCAC!