Toughest Place to Play in Your Conference

Started by e_lee, August 22, 2005, 09:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: billrt66 on October 12, 2007, 01:33:41 PM
Yes Really!  The team record over the past few years has obviously climbed in the right direction steadily.....doesn't mean that it isn't a tough place to play.  I've been to the other venues in the conference and the intensity and the noise level elsewhere just isn't the same.....and nowhere else do they have that damn cannon!!

Widener has a cool cannon too.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

smedindy

Now, I think a cannon shooting a real cannonball, or grapeshot, or something would be extra cool. Dangerous, yeah, but you gotta live life on the edge, right?

Ron Boerger

Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2007, 02:12:58 PM
Now, I think a cannon shooting a real cannonball, or grapeshot, or something would be extra cool. Dangerous, yeah, but you gotta live life on the edge, right?

Don't give those schools in Dixie any ideas, now ... especially when they play home games against schools on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line.   ;)

Mugsy

I can't speak to the perspective from visiting teams, but McCully Field at Wheaton should be considered one of the toughest places to play in the CCIW.

Not necessarily because of the fans or anything about the field per se... but going back to mid-season 2001, Wheaton is 34-1 at home.  Doubt there can be 2-3 teams in the nation that can say that...
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

HScoach

In the OAC, the toughest place to win at is Mount.  But it has nothing to do with the facilities ;D

From a home field advantage standpoint, I'd put Baldwin Wallace at the top because their field is the old style artificial turf that more resembles green painted concrete.  No one enjoys a trip to play at BW.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Mugsy

Quote from: Mugsy on October 14, 2007, 10:19:23 PM
I can't speak to the perspective from visiting teams, but McCully Field at Wheaton should be considered one of the toughest places to play in the CCIW.

Not necessarily because of the fans or anything about the field per se... but going back to mid-season 2001, Wheaton is 34-1 at home.  Doubt there can be 2-3 teams in the nation that can say that...

Obviously it is in some part due to who they play.  There would be more losses if they played in the WIAC or OAC.

The CCIW isn't the best conference, but it is probably in the top 5 over the past decade or so.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

K-Mack

Quote from: Ron Boerger on October 12, 2007, 02:53:02 PM
Quote from: smedindy on October 12, 2007, 02:12:58 PM

Don't give those schools in Dixie any ideas, now ... especially when they play home games against schools on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line.   ;)

Hey, small aside ...

When we went up to Gettysburg, and crossed the Mason-Dixon line on Route 15 (there's a giant sign), some of our more proud Southerner-type players really treated it as a traumatic moment. Some claimed to have never been across the line before.

Course, a good portion of the team was from Pa. and Jersey, etc. ... We thought playing at Gettysburg was delightful.

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: Mugsy on October 15, 2007, 09:12:13 AM
Quote from: Mugsy on October 14, 2007, 10:19:23 PM

Obviously it is in some part due to who they play.  There would be more losses if they played in the WIAC or OAC.

The CCIW isn't the best conference, but it is probably in the top 5 over the past decade or so.

Yeah, I'm not sure that cheap shot was deserved. The CCIW is pretty good, and moreso, pretty competitive in that there's always a good Augustana or North Central or Carthage for Wheaton to go through.

Having just come from there, I can say it's a top-notch field and a great game-day atmosphere, so although I kind of agree that Mugsy was just looking for an opportunity to trot out that 34-1 stat, I guess it's pretty legit.

There are probably several D3 teams with somewhat similar home runs (a couple dozen wins and less than 5 losses), esp. if we're only counting regular season games.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

section13raiderfan

Hey Pat and/or K-Mack, how many of the D3 stadiums you have visited would seat over 10,000? I dont believe Ive been in any that would hold more than 7 to 8 thousand. Are the larger ones shared with another team? Even for a playoff game Ive never seen a crowd over 8 thousand at MUC. And that was with standing room only. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: section13raiderfan on October 16, 2007, 08:31:27 PM
Hey Pat and/or K-Mack, how many of the D3 stadiums you have visited would seat over 10,000? I dont believe Ive been in any that would hold more than 7 to 8 thousand. Are the larger ones shared with another team? Even for a playoff game Ive never seen a crowd over 8 thousand at MUC. And that was with standing room only. 
While we are talking stadia, "Texas Bob" has a wonderful website cataloging Texas high school football stadia.

http://www.texasbob.com/fb_hs.html

While you are there, please scroll down for the winamp video clip of the 1946 State High School Championship game featuring Odessa High School (back when it was a one-school town and led by Hayden Fry of SMU, North Texas and Iowa fame) versus San Antonio Jefferson led by Kyle Rote, the NY Football Giants.   :)

You can also see Ornelas Stadium at ETBU.

smedindy

Quote from: section13raiderfan on October 16, 2007, 08:31:27 PM

I'm not Pat or K-Mack, but:

St. John's does counting the hills, etc. The official capacity is 7,482. Their average home attendance is 9,373. I believe it, too.,

Wabash can get about 11,500 in for the Bell game. Of course, that's with temporary seating.

Ohio Wesleyan's Selby Field holds 9,100 in the stands. But they don't get close to that, unfortunately.

ADL70

Per NCAA

Whitewater-11,000
Brockport-10,000
Greensboro-10,000 (HS stadium)
Williams-10,000
Platteville-10,000
Oshkosh-9,8000
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Pat Coleman

And of that list, I have been to only two, and not seen them filled. But I've seen 13,000 at St. John's.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pg04

To My knowledge, Brockport has never even gotten close to that 10,000 mark.

In fact, I just looked it up and the highest attendance was 4, 634 for a game against the University of Buffalo in 1980.

I would like to see 10,000 in there but I can't see a possible scenario where they get that many people with the possible exception of at some point facing St. John Fisher in the Eastern Region Finals, getting both teams fans in there.