MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineconefan

Heard from a source that the Pirates had a great scrimmage against NIC yesterday.  Though a JC, NIC is full scholarship and usually sends guys to D1 every year.  Most years they beat the Pirates in the early scrimmage.  Source told me the Bucs won by more than 30. 
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

UPSoundLogs

This is probably a stupid question but...What does NIC stand for and where are they from?  Sounds like Whitworth will be tough this year if NIC is as good as you say conefan.   Any info yet on their new guys...position, size, age, scoring, etc?   I keep hearing how good the WW tranfers/recruits are but I haven't seen any of the facts yet.
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

lcalum

Here is a site  to check if guys are playing overseas:

http://www.usbasket.com/usaabroad.asp

they have done a good job keeping this pretty up to date. the only problem i have seen are the LC guys are listed under LC State.

hope LC does better this year...they are suppose to be better having gotten a couple of transfers in but we all know that doesnt mean a thing until they perform. will be tough to beat UPS with the experience the team has the past few years in winning. curious to see if there will be any change with bridgeland not there. he is a great coach and gets the most out of his guys...hope that continues. always fun to see guys succeed and play after college since they are coming out of the small school leagues.

pineconefan

NIC = North Idaho College

I looked at the roster on the website and saw three JC transfer forwards who are in the 6-3 to 6-5 range.  I won't really know more till I see them on the floor.
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

UPSoundLogs

Geez, no love for the NWC from D3hoops preseason poll.  UPS #22/Whitworth is receiving votes...and what's worse is that a SCIAC team is ahead of the NWC crew, Occidental #20? Ouch!!  I'm hoping everyone does well in the preseason against other d3 competition so we can get some more respect for the conference. 
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Gilbert McFinnegan

I will have to agree with you UPSoundLogs.  The ranking of Occidental ahead of UPS was quite disappointing.  The SCIAC has been knocked out of the tournament the past three years by the Loggers.  As for the 22 ranking, it is not that surprising and somewhat justified.  I do not need to go into the same old story about what the Loggers lost, yada yada yada, but in comparing the Logger's rank to the other teams they encountered in the tournament, Augustana dropped to 24 and Illinois Wesleyan completely dropped out of the top 25.  The worst part is that for the NWC to gain some ground it looks like the rest of the Top 25 will just have to lose.  Neither UPS or WW are playing any teams that could possibly give them a jump in the ranks just on beating them alone.

Thanks, Icalum, for the info regarding the overseas hoops and welcome to the board.  Most surprising is that McVey is not playing anywhere.  That kid was a beast inside and was still able to get off the ground.  He had the most pro potential out of all of last year's group. 

Curtiss is not playing anywhere either, but I thought his job was a lot easier anyway with the triple teams McVey would see nightly. I didn't see anything on there about Pecht, after all, he did beat Curtiss out for the MVP.

Any preseason scrimmage news around the league?

lcalum

for mcvey, it does take time for the overseas gigs to come about sometimes. i know a few of the LC guys had some time off before things developed. also a matter of who you know and get as an agent. its hard today with the game of basketball being so global for small school guys to get a crack at it.

the pioneers played pretty well against Lane CC and the UO scrimmage was a lot better than the score indicated. so of their guys have worked hard in the offseason and it looks as though they should give it a better run this year. we will see as the season progresses......

Gregory Sager

Quote from: UPSoundLogs on November 03, 2006, 12:39:57 PM
Geez, no love for the NWC from D3hoops preseason poll.  UPS #22/Whitworth is receiving votes...and what's worse is that a SCIAC team is ahead of the NWC crew, Occidental #20? Ouch!!  I'm hoping everyone does well in the preseason against other d3 competition so we can get some more respect for the conference. 

From November 17 onward, it's not "preseason" anymore. It's the regular season. Those non-conference games count towards your record, too, you know.

(Congrats upon being the first person who made me post this reminder this season!  :D)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Greek Tragedy

Shameless Self-Promotion
The season starts in a week, don't forget to join the Survivor League and new the Nationwide Pick Em League in the multi-regional board!!!  ;D

For the record, I picked Whitworth! lol.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

PostUPS

As for the status on the graduated Loggers - McVey landed an outstanding position with a securities company and Curtiss is working on his Masters at a college in the midwest.  Curtiss did play a stint in Australia over the summer.

As good as they are on the court - most Loggers are students first and athletes second.  An even greater compliment to what Bridgeland accomplished and Lunt is maintaining.  These guys will excel even more in their working careers... and life goes on after basketball... as much as we would like to see them play even more.  But there are some impressive new guys coming in this year and five quality-minute players are returning.  Should be another exciting run at the Fieldhouse.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on November 06, 2006, 07:52:40 AM
From November 17 onward, it's not "preseason" anymore. It's the regular season. Those non-conference games count towards your record, too, you know.

(Congrats upon being the first person who made me post this reminder this season!  :D)

LMAO... ;D :D ;) I can't believe I missed this before.  Too funny.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

(509)Rat

The Whitworth Pirates won big tonight in Chicago.  Final score:
Whitworth 95
Eastern 67
http://www.whitworth.edu/Athletics/Teams/Basketball_Men/Releases/06_07/Eastern.htm

They conclude their trip to Chicago with a game tomorrow night against Wheaton.

Loggerville

Well, just another 30+ win on opening night in Tacoma.  Umm, anyone seen that Medved guy before, he's kind of got some range 8)  Welcome back CM, here's to a good year for you.  Foster looks great, Delong was willing to share the rock - the fellas look good.  Lunt has to be feeling better about getting the first one out of the way.  I don't care who you are, at what level, that first game where all eyes are on you as the HC is one you'll remember.  Congrats to him and the Loggers on a nice little 124 opening night sleeper.  Off to pre-funk THE GAME.  GO BIG BLUE.

RIP Bo.  You'll be missed.

UPSoundLogs

After jumping out to a 20 point lead in about the first ten minutes of the game the loggers cruised to an easy win.  Even though UC Santa Cruz is not by any means good competition UPS looked better than I expected for such a young team.  Foster and Kraul are going to be a tough inside matchup for any team to deal with. With Medved, Marsh, and...well just about everyone else on the team bombing away from three point land it opens up the inside for the big guys to go to work, especailly on the offensive glass.  I can't wait for the logs to face some more formidable competion so I can see what the team is really made of.  Good win Fellas!!!

D O.C.

This is not a comfortable true story but it helps diagnose symptoms of why LINFIELD has become only a football/baseball school.

One rainy Christmas vacation 7-8 years ago I wandered on down to Long Beach City College to see a high school basketball tournament. It was absolutely great. In the next couple of months I saw Jared and Jason Collins, Paul Pierce, Baron Davis, Tremaine Fowlkes, Tyson Chandler, Tayshawn Prince, Jason Kapono, among others, play high school basketball. Some I got to watch for 4 years.
   The number one rated L.A. City team that season was Fremont.  I happened to see them play and found out a kid I knew when he was 10 was on the team. I discovered that he had been an All-League defensive back that football season and that he had been one of the fastest guys in the City in the 200m the previous couple of years. He was not a starter on the b-ball team that lost the City Championship game to Crenshaw (again) but he did have a career game in the City Finals.
His physical stature was about 5'9", 165 lbs. I remember him being a good student and I saw "LINFIELD" written all over him. I checked around about the new NCAA provisos and I sent an LA City championship game tape to the coach.  No response.
   Six months later at a Homecoming game I sought out the basketball coach, introduced myself and asked if he received my tape.
AND I QUOTE  "We thought he was too good for us."!!!!!!!!
With my jaw still drooping on my toes I chance to run into a Hall of Fame football coach from LINFIELD who shook his head and told me I should know his response would have been much different.