MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineconefan

Arguing about ranking, or whether a team is better or worse than last year, is kind of pointless at this point.  Both are completely subjective.  Do I think Whitworth will end up being much better than last year?  Sure, but that really doesn't matter until they go out and either prove me right or wrong.

However, there are more concrete topics to discuss.  Both Whitworth and UPS have a chance to build solid QOWI scores heading into their first meeting of the season in Spokane next month.  The Pirates have in-region wins over Bethany Lutheran, Cal Lutheran, Whittier, Caltech, Pacific and L&C.  They have two games coming up against UCSC.  UPS has in-region wins over UCSC, Willamette and Fox, with games coming up against Whittier, La Verne and Chapman.  Both teams should be undefeated in-region heading into that first match up, with solid QOWI's.  That will be about the same time as the first regional rankings and both should be listed pretty highly. 

Based on the above, I think either team could have a good shot at an at-large berth this season.
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

bucs77

You are right Pinecone .  It's kind of funny that we find ourselves arguing over who is the better team and who is ranked too high or too low this early.  The season will tell the tale, but I also think based on regional record and how good each team can be that UPS and WW finally get into the post season together, although I am not counting Willamette or LC out yet considering if they get hot at the right time each team is good enough to win two quick ones in the playoffs.  Unlikely, but not impossible...       

Gregory Sager

Quote from: pineconefan on December 08, 2006, 01:30:07 AMThe Pirates have in-region wins over Bethany Lutheran, Cal Lutheran, Whittier, Caltech, Pacific and L&C.

Wheaton is an in-region win as well for the Pirates. Legislation passed this summer at the NCAA Convention further divided D3 into four administrative regions. Region 4 consists of Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas, and all points west. Any games or matches played within the administrative regions counts as an in-region game, so Illinois-based Wheaton and Washington-based Whitworth are now regional foes.

The old eight-region system of D3 men's basketball (Northeast, East, Middle Atlantic, Atlantic, South, Great Lakes, Midwest, and West) is still intact for evaluation purposes, so a game between a CCIW team from Illinois (Region 4) and an HCAC team from Indiana (Region 3) remains an in-region game because both of those leagues are part of the Midwest Region. And the 200-mile rule for regional games remains in effect as well. Of course, neither of those issues matters one bit to you NWC folks way out there in D3's frontier outpost, but I just thought I'd mention them in the interest of being thorough.  ;)

What this all does mean is that NWC coaches now have the additional option of going to places like Chicago, Wheaton, Washington (MO), North Central, and Elmhurst for tournaments and picking up some good games that'll count as regional competition.

You can always find out what games are regional and what games aren't by checking a team's schedule page here on D3hoops.com. Regional games are marked with asterisks.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

UPSoundLogs

Well, all I see is more whining from the Rat...oh well, not much new there I guess.  I think I'm done trying to help him, his rambling doesn't really deserve a reply.  I'm a little dissapointed in him I really thought we could have had something special :-[

Unfortunately there are no more conference games for a while, but in the mean time the logs are headed to Cali to hopefully pick up some in region wins as well as continue to dominate the SCIAC!  If the Loggers can take care of business down there and both WW and UPS continue to play well I think one of them getting an at large bid into the tourney won't be too far fetched.  Obviously there is still a long ways too go and we can't assume anything, but it never hurts to ponder ;)

I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

bucs77

SoundLogs,  I just want to give a formal good luck to UPS on their CA trip.  I don't think that anyone wants to relive last years playoff blunder when the SCIAC got two teams in.  WW had their chance at OXY losing a tough one, which probably would have gotten them in had they won  but I just see the NWC being much more competitive in the playoffs.  Also I was able to attend the first half of the Whitworth / Whittier game.  Whitworth played poorly and was ahead at half so hopefully no worries for you in that match up.  Whittier does however have a few good shooters who can't be left open.     

UPSoundLogs

Thanks bucs, your very right about not wanting to re-live last years tournament scenario.  Two SCIAC teams in the tourney is two too many in my opinion (although I realize atleast one must get in).  I don't want to be too confident because anything can happen, but the logs have had a very good track record against SCIAC teams in the past so I'm feeling pretty good about them winning three down south. 

What does WW have coming up? Aren't they going back to Cali again? I think I saw they were playing UCSC or something, in which case you guys will kill them.

Does anyone know if any NWC teams are playing big games out of league before we start back into conference play? 

Bcats-any word on Stuvland's situation?
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

nwhoops1903

Okay NW conference fans we have had our opening weekend of conference games and all I see are a bunch of posts about rankings and strong wins and for some odd reason the playoffs.  Gosh one poll and its a March sandbox.  Is it February already?   I think that is when we might mention the p word with significance (p word = playoff, for you pinecone..jk). 

All NW conference wins against anybody outside of conference is good for the conference, of course, some are better but than others but who cares about Nov. polls when you lose on the road to a conference team that is 2-6 in late January.  Conference records and Conference tourney are 95 percent of your grade as far back as I can track for the NWC when it comes to end of year invites.

Congrats to WW, UPS, LC, and yes even PLU and the other teams that have started strong or looked good.  I will look forward to reading posts about players, coaches and teams performances in the preseason games.  I enjoy reading about how a player dominated a game or just plain stunk up the gym.  If a team had a monster comeback like LC did in Hawaii or pressed a point guard to 10+ TO's.  Anyway..fire away.  And of course, Go Pirates (Bucs) if you are listening to WW come out of a timeout. 

NWC fan

Gilbert McFinnegan

Quote from: pineconefan on December 08, 2006, 01:30:07 AM
Arguing about ranking, or whether a team is better or worse than last year, is kind of pointless at this point.  Both are completely subjective.  Do I think Whitworth will end up being much better than last year?  Sure, but that really doesn't matter until they go out and either prove me right or wrong.

However, there are more concrete topics to discuss. 
Quote from: bucs77 on December 08, 2006, 02:35:53 AM
You are right Pinecone .  It's kind of funny that we find ourselves arguing over who is the better team and who is ranked too high or too low this early.     

Well it looks like our discussion about the WW ranking is definitely beneath this board.  Good try UPSoundLogs and Rat at trying to get some lively discussion going.  It was fun while it lasted.

Good luck to all the NWC over the Christmas break.  Can I say go PLU?  Possible contender for the 3rd spot?   Any thoughts?

bearcatsfan3

Finally got a chance to see the Bearcats on Friday night...and while they gave up a ton of points, they were impressive offensively, beating concordia 96-93...(they followed that with a 66-51 victory over SOU the next day that I wasn't at)...

The new faces for WU, Danny Nugent and Michael Smith, were very good, with Nugent going for 28 and 8...Andrus played well of the bench, and Plank was solid at the "1"...Mansfield and McClary also battled all night in the paint...

While their problem areas are pretty obvious (taking care of the ball and getting some kind of defensive effort), they're fun to watch, and with some adjustments (and additions) I have not yet lost faith in their ability to make the NWC tournament...

Oh, and it was a GREAT crowd Friday...loud and standing the whole game...

bucs77

Bearcats,
     Do you think that the addition of Stuvland and Fife will at all hurt the flow of the team.  I.e. Nugent.   I would guess that it might take some practices and a game or two before Nugent and the others get used to shooting a lot less.  I would guess about 20 shots per game between Stuv and fife?  Glad to hear that the crowd was roaring.  AS far as I've heard WW had a roaring crowd of about 10-15 parents and family of the referees in their win over UCSC.

UPSoundLogs

Gil- I'm glad that someone can appreciate a little friendly argueing on this board, I actually thought it was mildly entertaining...hopefully the rat would agree.  We haven't heard from him in a couple days though, should we be worried?

Anywho, to answer your question about PLU(hey that rythmes)....I think it is ok to tell them good luck, I don't think there's much room for two championship contenders in Tacoma this year but I'm not above throwing a friendly "go get em boys!" in the Lutes direction.  I really don't see them being a contender for the 3rd playoff spot, they've been in the basement of the league for the last few years, but you never know.

Actually I would like a little info on their team.  Unfortuantely no PLU fans have made their way on the board yet, but if they keep winning I have a feeling it won't be long until we hear from someone.  Does anyone know why they are all of a sudden winning? New coaching maybe? 

(509)Rat

Don't worry I didn't go anywhere...and believe me, I have just as much fun as you guys on this board.  Glad to hear nobody is taking anything too seriously...unlike a certain diehard Cat fan from the Harbor.  Anyways, Whitworth took a trip down to Santa Cruz and had a basketball game (if thats what you wanna call it) with the banana slugs in the carckerbox they call a gym.  They only took 9 players but all of them played generously, and contirbuted in the W (76-52).  Young tied his single game three point record with 7, but thats about all I know because the stats haven't been posted yet.  From what I hear the Pirates played a poor first half, but were still up 19.  I guess UCSC is that bad.

bucs77

Noticing a bit of a lag on the board, but I guess that's to be expected during a break like we have coming up.  Heard that the WW/UCSC game was extremely boring.  Also heard from a few people that the gym was really odd with the back wall being made of solid concrete.  Wierd.   Good luck to all NWC teams over the break.  Looks like UPS will have somewhat of a tough trip playing away from home against pretty good competition,  I think Chapman will be your biggest challenge though.  WW is off until a reunion game with UCSC on Jan. 2,  Unless you count the alumni game which is always fun to watch...yawn.  What are some overall thoughts/predictions on the league as we enter league play?  My prediction is still  UPS/Willamette/WW in the top three, probably not in that order, but I see Pacific making a faint challenge for the 3 spot.  I would have said PLU because of their earl wins, but correct me if I'm wrong, until they lost to Port. St.  they had not played any competition.  Thats about it,  good luck once again and Merry Christmas!!!   

UPSoundLogs

Yes, its true the board has gotten pretty boring during this break in games.  I really don't have much to say, I just wanted to stop by and give Bucs some company(hey buddy).

By the way, does anyone now what the Karma-meter is all about?  Am I a bad person because I have negative Karma?  I notice Bucs is at -4 and he's one of the most charming guys on the board...What's the deal?  All I know is that my self esteem is gonna take a nose dive if my karma gets much lower :-\...I guess I'll have to make some serious New Years resolutions!!!

Good luck to everyone over the Xmas break, especially UPS on its Cali trip...we gotta take care of those SCIAC teams in the early going if we even want to think about getting into the tourney(Example: Whitworth last year). 

Tuxguy

UPSoundlogs,

Tis the season, so I gave you some + karma. Once you hit 200 posts you gain the power of giving + or - Karma. I wouldn't let it get to me. Touchdowntommy has -650 karma.

It looks to be another fun year in the NWC. From what I can see, any one can win on any given night. Makes for fun Basketball. I guess will see real soon.

everyone have a Merry Christmas and a Happy new Year!

Or as Joel Presbella(sp) from the Portland Trail Blazers said last year before a home game " I hope every one has a Happy Christmas" ???
Only at a D3 football game could you have 2 seats on the 50 yard line (2 rows behind bluenote) and have an obstructed view!
I love D3 Football!!!