MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

11+ minutes into the game, and high-flying Puget Sound has been held to 10 points on 4 of 11 shooting.  With 8:54 left in the 1st, Pacific leads the Loggers 16-10. 

Whitworth has already disposed of George Fox tonight, 83-53 to move to 13-0.

David Collinge

Pacific barely withstands a late Logger run and goes into the half leading 30-29.  Pacific is shooting 55.6% but has been forced into 13 turnovers.  UPS' shooting improved from a 5-for-15 start to finish at 47.6% (10/21), but they have missed 5 free throws (7/12).

UPDATE:  UPS goes on a 10-0 run to open up a 43-37 lead with 14:42 left.
UPDATE:  This half, it's Pacific that is missing free throws (4/8 so far after going 9/9 in the 1st).  Must be the rim at that end of the court.  UPS leads 46-44, 11:35 left.
UPDATE:  Nine lead changes and five ties in the first 12+ minutes of the second half; it reads like an excellent game (although, too many free throws for my taste; 41 so far)!  Tied, 53-53, 7:05 left.
UPDATE:  Boxers on a 6-0 run, lead 59-55, 5:28 left.  Before I can finish typing this, UPS hits two free throws to cut the lead in half.
UPDATE:  It looks like Pacific is a pretty good defensive team, judging from their scores.  UPS hasn't scored less than 92 in a game this season, and they are just at 59 with 4:11 left.  Pacific leads 65-59.
UPDATE:  Pacific should have put this game away by now, but 11/19 free throw shooting continues to haunt them.  69-63 Boxers, 2:43 left.
UPDATE:  Jordan Thurston hits a three, and UPS calls timeout, trailing by 3 (71-68) with 1:42 left.
UPDATE:  DeLong steals and is fouled, hitting one of two, but Van Domelen answers with a jumper.  73-69 Boxers 0:36 left.
UPDATE:  Another steal for DeLong, but Williams missed a three.  DeLong is fouled and hits two, 73-71, 0:14.  Timeout, UPS.
UPDATE:  Pacific inbounds and Thurston fouls with 0:12 left, sending Wong to the line.  30 second timeout for Pacific.  Wong hits both, 75-71.

David Collinge

Williams misses a layup for UPS and Foster fouls Wong on the rebound with 0:04 left and Pacific up 4.  Looks like the upset is in the books as Wong drains both free throws.  Williams misses a three at the horn, and Pacific holds on to win 77-71.

Heck of a game.  Ten lead changes and five ties in the first 14 minutes of the second half, Pacific took the lead for good with 6:07 left.  Boxers shot 61% from the floor and had four scorers in double figures led by Donn Harrison-Davis's 18.  Ross Bartlett had a double-double, with 12 points and 10 boards.  UPS also had four in double figures, led by 16 apiece from Antwan Williams and Ryan DeLong.  As a team UPS shot just 42%, including 31.3% from the arc, and only 37.9% overall in the 2nd half.  UPS forced 23 turnovers but were badly outrebounded, 38-17.  And the two teams combined to miss 19 free throws (10 by UPS and 9 by Pacific, all in the 2nd half).

pineconefan

Wow, so UPS loses at Pacific.  What could've been a meeting of top-ten teams in Spokane on Friday now will carry extra incentive for the Loggers.  They way the Pirates are currently playing - I don't know that UPS can afford to fall two games behind.

But it is still early.  L&C had a big weekend too.
"A foolish man is no more unhappy than an illiterate horse." - Erasmus

Gilbert McFinnegan

Looks like Pacific pulled off the upset, mixing up the NWC even more than expected.

Both Medved and Wood did not play, arguably two of the most key components of the Logger bench and a significant part of the rotation.  DeLong did not start and was limited to 18 minutes.  This pushed Williams, Marsh, and Foster into the 30+ minute range, making for an unusual UPS rotation.

Either way this puts major significance (as if there was not enough prior to the Pacific loss) on next weeks matchup with WW.  UPS has not lost back to back conference games in 3+ years.  Hopefully they get the full rotation back so we can see this highly anticipated match up in its full form. 

bucs77

Don't know if you've heard gil but medved is off the team and is no longer on the roster.  That hurts with only one true 3 point shooter now in marsh.   My prediction is that the Whitworth train keeps on rolling.  The blowout of GF was a warmup for them and now the real fun begins

UPSoundLogs

Well....this weekend was not kind to the Loggers, that's about the best way to put it.  It's certainly not time to push that panic button, but if they want a shot at the NWC title they won't be able to lose many more.  WW is still looking very strong and is in lone possession of first place, if the bucks ;) continue to play like they have been playing then it looks like it will come down to a dog fight for 2nd and 3rd. 

Next Friday's game should show what UPS really has, hopefully they will use the loss as motivation to step up their game and play big at WW.  If they drop two in a row that would not be good this early in conference play. 

Bucs- I heard about Medved but I haven't heard why, do you have any idea why he is off the team...Again?  And you are right, only one great 3 point shooter is the last thing the logs need right now!
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

pennstlbu

I'd rather not specualate, but Medved had struggled with grades in the past. He was ineligible for the Fall 2 years ago, but was still on the team. He ended up not being eligible for the Spring either and ended up transferring to a CC that spring. And with fall grades being released last week, that could be a reason...

But don't quote me on that.

(509)Rat

I wouldn't put too much into the UPS Pacific game...While it does put UPS into a tiny hole in terms of the conference standings, they are still a very talented team and If I'm remembering correctly Pacific gave Whitworth a tough game.  But with the way Whitworth played this past weekend and the fact they are home this friday, I think they have to be the favorites in this game against UPS.  I don't expect a 20 point win like last year's home matchup against the loggers, but a Pirate victory none-the-less.  By the way UPSoundLogs, thanks for the ribbing but the "Bucks" are coming off of a 108-105 loss to the Wizards but Michael Redd remains red hot...if only us Bucs had him playing for us then the NAIA glory days would be restored here at Whitworth.

UPSoundLogs

HaHaHa :D I like it Rat, that's the kind of stuff we need around here.  A little jab here and there without people taking offense and getting upset about it!

Gotta agree with you about the WW edge for this weekend, they are looking tough, especially with the game being played in Spokane.  After the loss over the weekend to Pac look for coach Lunt to have the Loggers fired up and ready to play though.  I think it should be a great game, I wish I could be there to watch. 

Obviously I'm gonna stick with my guys, I've got Loggers 81 Bucks 79
I just stare at my desk, but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch too, I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

Gilbert McFinnegan

Quote from: UPSoundLogs on January 09, 2007, 10:24:56 AM
HaHaHa :D I like it Rat, that's the kind of stuff we need around here. 

That is good that Rat and Logs have made friendly....I guess we are not as bad over here in the NWC as most suspect.

Thanks for the info Bucs/PennSt.  I think the Medved loss may be greater than what appears.  Medved was a big 3 point threat, but from what I saw he was solid in the press and could put the ball on the floor as well.  He was a left hander and when UPS put him on the right wing he could effectively bring the ball middle breaking defenses down as oppose to going baseline right into the help, and we all know that UPS is all about the one on one play.  Medved, like Marsh spread the court out making such play easier, and more importantly garnered attention against zone defenses, the only type of defense that seems to be consistently effective against the Loggers. 

However, like Rat said, the loss to Pacific (and of Medved for that matter) does not necessitate the pressing of the "Panic" button quite yet.  WW last year did drop to GFU and PLU on the road before ending the season on a tear.  While it is an unexpected loss, year in and year out has proven that you have to protect your home court if you want to win the NWC, and then pick up as many on the road as possible.

As for Fri...the timing edge has to go to UPS.  They just came of a dissapointing loss and I am sure Lunt and the team are using it to their advantage to focus themselves.  Meanwhile,  WW is sitting undefeated.  It can have an effect....look at the smacking UPS took last year on WW's court.

BUT....overall advantage has to WW.  Record and wins speak loud enough.

Either way Good LUC!! ;)

(509)Rat

Yes, Gilbert...The counseling has paid off.  See, my dad was killed by a lumberjack (or logger if you prefer) so I've always had this deep hatred for the hairy folk from the Sound.  But I realized that UPSoundLogs and his gang of rough and rugged, gruff and disgruntled wood choppers aren't all that bad.

Whitworth 85
UPS 74

The margin of victory will look bigger because UPS will foul at the end in an attempt come from behind to beat the Pirates on their home court...Whitworth (unlike WSU the other night in their victory over Arizona) will make their free throws and with no Medved the Loggers can't catch up.

pineconefan

Pacific gets another good win tonight, beating L&C in OT.  Could the Boxers be building some consistency?  If so, they will have to be reckoned with at the end.

However it also means that Whitworth has a chance to be two games up on the rest of the NWC after this weekend's games.

pineconefan

Great Whitworth-UPS preview in around the nation.

bearcatsfan3

Whitworth seems to be the logical choice in the big NWC battle this weekend...

a. Homecourt advantage
b. Senior point guard used to dealing with UPS pressure
c.  Big men capable of finishing off all the transition baskets the Loggers give up
d. A shooter in young capable of stretching the Loggers back line guys, allowing more easy layups
e. Catching the loggers coming off a loss to a Pacifc team that lost the Bearcats (who are STRUGGLING) the night before
f. A veteran coach

UPS should enjoy
a. An overall quickness superiority
b. Better depth, as Whitworth (looking at the stats) plays about 6.75 guys
c. A motivational aide, as they must realize a 2nd loss this early puts them actually 3 games behind the pirates in the race for the NWC

I still like the Pirates....say 87-80...

As for the WU, Stuvland plays for the first time Friday...maybe that can end the up and down nature of the season (but in all honesty, with LC beating WU, then losing to Pacifc...a lot of teams are bunched with either 2 or 3 conference losses...the race for third should stay tight all year long...)