WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwu70

IWU has to have one of the toughest pre-CCIW schedules of anyone in the country -- playing several consistent, perennial powers -- Jophns Hopkins, Stevens Point, Calvin, DePauw, Wash U, Chicago, etc.  I'd be very very happy if they came out of these first 11 games 8-3 or 7-4, though I think 6-5 is a possibility too.  At least our Titans will have a fierce, stern test through 11 games, well-prepared and well-toughed for the CCIW slate of 14 games.  Look at their pre-CCIW schedule and let me know if you find another first 11 games for any women's program in the country that is as challenging? 

IWU70

iwu70

And, on IWU's schedule, I forgot WI-Whitewater and Howard Payne.  Wowza!!! Very tough first 11 games.  What's the phrase, "to be the best, you gotta play the best."  Guess Coach Mia believes in that for sure. 

IWU70

iwu70

Looks like the Titans have 4-5 top-25 teams to play in the pre-CCIW phase, according to one pre-season poll.  Talk about a "test" early on.

And then comes Carthage (twice) in the CCIW season, another pre-season top 25 team. 

IWU70

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: iwu70 on October 20, 2013, 10:41:43 PM
Looks like the Titans have 4-5 top-25 teams to play in the pre-CCIW phase, according to one pre-season poll.  Talk about a "test" early on.

And then comes Carthage (twice) in the CCIW season, another pre-season top 25 team. 

IWU70

With the DePauw, Wash U, IWU, plus whoever is brave enough to be the fourth team tourney to start the season, plus annual games against UWSP and UWW, plus other top teams, it is always thus.  Mia does NOT cringe away from top competition.

IWU is ALWAYS prepped for CCIW competition! ;D

Gregory Sager

Why did you have to post, Chuck? I wanted to see how many posts in a row he could string together. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwu70

Greg and Ypsi, glad you guys posted -- thought I was talking to myself there for awhile.  Guess the CCIW women's chat room isn't the most popular place this time of year . . . or for that matter, ever.  Just me and RogK most of the time, me thinks.

Back to football.

IWU70

RogK

Which brings us to this : do we have some fans of Millikin, Augustana, Carthage, Elmhurst, North Central or Wheaton? Join the conversation, please.
Fortunately, we have good contributors for IWU and North Park. We don't hear enough from followers of the other six teams (in some cases never).

keith45

NCC fan here..former assistant with Coach Roof at AU and at NCC.  Still connected to the program...I have been coaching for so long, I was used to not posting and just reading...hahaha

RogK

keith45, give us any updates you can. Don't worry about any secrets; everybody already knows exactly what the Cardinals will do on offense and defense anyway! Ha.
Here are new rosters :
http://athletics.millikin.edu/roster.aspx?path=wbball&
http://www.northcentralcardinals.com/roster.aspx?path=wbball
NC has one player taller than 5'10", so defensive quickness will be a necessity.
NC's 3FG shooting pct was hindered by the implementation of the System last season : mostly the same players went from .348 in '11-'12 to .266 in '12-'13. If they can get up closer to 30 or 31 pct this time, they'll have a chance to hold onto their spot in the top half of the CCIW. The national D3 WBB 3FG average last year was .2907, incidentally. D1 and D2 were each between 30 and 31 pct.

keith45

I look for them to take a step forward this year...year under their belt, etc. Some good freshman, athletic and quick, but size will be the key. If they can keep pressure on the ball and not allow teams to use their size (like Fiona did last year), I can talk myself into a top 3 finish...

iwu70

keith45, keep posting.  We do need more posters for all the various schools and programs  -- fans, players or parents.  All good.  You are very optimistic in predicting a top 3 finish, so good on you!  Lots of unknowns for this upcoming season -- hard to say much other than CC and IWU will again be contenders.  Not very sure about the others.  Pre-season coaches poll soon will perhaps give us more knowledgeable "take" on the possible line-up, CCIW ranking for the new season.  I'm sure the coaches have had a good close look at the new rosters and may know more from their recruiting efforts, which players will be making an impact in the new year. 

IWU has a very experienced, very well-known core coming back -- with four starters pretty much set (Baltes, MacMahon, Seibring, Jackson), and some key rotational, role players also pretty well known too (Reabers, Beoletto, Ransom, etc.).  Not sure much at all on the newbies, freshmen, whether any can break into the varsity rotation.

Let us know what you think about the possible starters, role players for the new NCC line-up.  Any Millikin takers?  Augie posters?  Elmhurst posters?

Would be nice to have more voices, more assessments and opinions in here.

IWU70

Roundball999

Looks like NCC could get a good indication of where they are during their own season-opening tournament.  They play Ripon to open the season on 11/15, then play either Hope or Bluffton on 11/16.  Hope lost three strong seniors from last season's #3 ranked team but they should be tough with three experienced six footers and last season's national leader in 3pt % probably in the starting lineup.

RogK

That could be a revealing tournament, Roundball999. Hope sounds like a tough opponent for anyone.
On a more general topic, the biggest story of the entire season could be how much the game is altered based on how the NCAA wants refs to make things less "physical."
http://www.wbca.org/includes/media/docs/WBBAreasofConcern_2014and2015.pdf
I see potential for some new interpretive disharmony between refs and coaches/players.

iwu70

RogK, agree with you.  That memo is a bunch of garble.  What will officials and coaches make of that?  What does it really mean?  Seems to be targeted at aggressive trapping defences and strong on-ball defence.   Strange.    ?

Hope College will be, often is very tough, no doubt.  Surely ranked in the top 25 going in. 

IWU70

RHIThoops40

I will be seeing a lot of Millikin this year, including Oct 30. Once I have seen how they have progressed should be able to give a decent report. In theory, they will be better this year, but it is  very dependent on how much their soph bigs have improved.