FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 04, 2007, 10:52:16 PM
Quote from: sac on November 04, 2007, 10:49:54 PM
First, we need to see the NESCAC play a round-robin in basketball. ::)

They do. Surely you want a double round-robin. :)

...but of course :-[

D306

Quick question for the board.

Now that the season is winding down, what team surprised you the most? What team disappointed you the most?

To me it is very clear:

Tri-State is the surprise fo the year, while all the pre season talk was of the energy and great growth Tri-State has made I did not think they would grow so fast into a real force in the league. They were in every game and surprised a few people in my mind. Good work guys's

Albion is my disappointment possible based on past history I expected more out of this yong team. Veteran coach established program, returning several Oline starters and above average WR's. Very inconsistent on offense, while they scored points they never really sustained drives. Did not move ball at all VS. the stronger Defenses. Young defense could not stop the run. Is this a trend or a result of so manmy young starters is the question for Albion.

Early comments on upcoming weeks games:

Hope VS WLC Hope is in a bad mood after losing the lock on the league take it out on WLC

Alma VS Adrian championship implications, Alma a little too much offense for Adrian who keeps it close with solid defense.

Albion VS. Tri-State Tri-State at home closes out a very impressive season with a solid win.

Kazzo VS Olivet  Olivet defense too much for Kazoo

Assuming the out of conference games go as expected Hope gets the AQ.
I hope they do not meet Mount Union in the first round again.

DEACONBLUE

WLCALUM83:  I was not able to make it to last Saturday's game, but I heard the Warriors played TSU a lot tougher than the score indicated.  That's not bad considering you were without your top runner.  Let me join the others in wishing WLC the best in their new conference, it should be an exciting time.  We will be following the progress of WLC, a MIAA "favorite son" so to say.  Thanks for being part of MIAA history.

D306:  I agree with you.  TSU took a larger stride toward respectability than many had predicted, and Albion seems to be suprisingly less threatening.  I believe the Thunder's unexpected success is due to the quick maturation of their veteran defense, and the added flexibility of their new quarterback.  From what I can assess about Albion - they are a solid squad, but in the relative paridy of the MIAA they suffer from being "average" on both sides of the ball.  They have a good balance of talent on offense and defense, but either has aquired enough octane to secure a victory against the league leaders.  I find the upcoming TSU/Albion clash an interesting match-up.  TSU has a strong defensive advantage and Albion has the offensive edge (depending on their qb situation).  Late season has seen offenses score better against defenses, so I believe turnovers will ultimately decide the outcome.  The Thunder is undefeated at home which benefits TSU, but being the last game will help Albion overcome a bit of the home crowd effect.

Looking at this MIAA season it appears there is a 3 tier step in strength, yet they are small steps.  Hope, Alma, and Olivet are on the first tier, with no one team dominant.  On the second tier is TSU, Adrian, and Albion, each team played the first tier very competetively but lacked enough balance to pull it out.  The third tier is WLC and Kalamazoo, and each had played a tough game against a second tier opponent.  The potent offenses have been Hope, Alma, and Albion and the defensive strength has resided with Olivet, TSU, and Adrian.  "A very competetive season".

dc_has_been

I don't see the MIAA AQ meeting anyone else than the "MOUNT"
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

Uncle Rico

As a Tri-State fan, all this talk praising Tri-State and the disappontment in Albion scares me.  The season isn't over, and I hope there is not a let down in Angola as a result.  Albion shouldn't be overlooked, they have a good coaching staff and I suspect they will come in to Tri-State with a "nothing to lose" attitude and they will leave it all out in the field.  Don't start patting yourselves on the back yet, Tri-State, finish the season strong and beat the predictions that were made about your team.  I know you CAN do it, but you gotta play the game out on the field, and Albion will be bringing it.
"Back in '82 I could throw a football a 1/4 mile"

D306

Rico

No let all the talk to go to their heads  ;)

Albion needs this win

Should be a good game, just not sure which QB will be in for Albion.
Freshman showed some poise in the pocket, but does not run the offense as well as Evans and is not the same threat to run for big yardage.
If Fussee (spelling) starts again then I expect the offense to be opened up a little with another week of practice and being prepared to start.

Either way Albion has had trouble with the better defenses in the league, generating a consistent offense. Albion has hit many a big play that has lead to most of their points.
The defense is getting better with playing experience and involvement of some of the younger players seeing more time. Albion does not seem as worn down at the end of games as they were earlier in the year. I do not think it is conditioning as much as improved rotation of players and situactional changes as the coaching staff has faith in a few of the younger players to see more time.

I plan on attending hope the weather is good.

formerd3db

My picks for this week:

Hope @ WLC:  Hope  I agree with D306 as Hope will be on "a mission" to win the league after losing to Olivet.  Despite being at home, it appears that WLC hasn't shown it is quite in Hope's tier, although anything can happen as we all know.  Barring a total Hope collapse (like in the Olivet game), Hope should get the win.

Alam @ Adrian:  Alma.  While Adrian is a home and a good team and improved since there mid-season losses, I think Alma will also be "on a mission" to share in the league title even though their chance at getting the AQ is less than Hope's or Olivet's.  Adrian's defense has been among the best, but Alma's explosive offense could be a problem for them.  On the other hand, despite big passing #'s historically, Alma has been known to "implode" with turnovers i.e. INT's do them in alot.  Should be an interesting game.  I'd like to see Alma win it because with an Olivet win, it means we (Hope) goes to "the Mount" - at least we would have a chance to "shock the world" as one of my colleagues has termed that possibility! ;D

Albion @ Tri-State:  Tri-State  As "U Rico" has said, despite Albion's disappointing (for them) record, they can still be a shock maker.  However, having seen both play, I think Tri-State is the stronger team and will win the game, particularly with being at home.  It might be a close one, though.

Kazoo @ Olivet:  Olivet    "The Big O" is simply too strong a team for Kazoo and also the "O" is at home.  Yet, strange things have happened in the past - just ask Alma about Kazoo ;).  Olivet has to win to have a chance at the AQ and Hope that Alma loses, again, as I understand it.  As I mentioned though for obvious reasons (at the risk of sounding like a broken record ::)) I am hoping the "big three" all win this weekend. 

My usual message is early this week, but still sincere as always:  safe travels to all of you on the way to your games this weekend and don't forget your warm coats.  Everyone may need those this time.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

It is awfully quite on our board this week.  What, no one have any other comments for this week i.e. are we all on this for the "bus ride"? ??? ;D ;)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

DEACONBLUE

D306:  Your point about Albion's coaching staff is well taken.  Of all of the MIAA coaches I've had the pleasure to meet, I've been most impressed with Albion's staff.  Not only friendly, but intelligent and sincere (no rah-rah hype) which comes with experience.  This speaks to their wisdom to assess talent and use it situationally that you spoke of earlier.  Could be the difference maker if Saturday's game is a close one.

*These two heavyweights will not take their opponents lightly (too much at stake):

HOPE over WLC - Dutchmen are too good to have two off games in a row.  Hope rolls on.

OLIVET over KZOO - Rock beats sirrors.  Olivet rolls on.

*Need to take out the chemistry set for these two (too many variables):

ALMA over ADRIAN - The Scots are very similar to the Brits, except more veterans.  This will be enough to out-pace Adrian.  If the Dawgs can deny Alma momentum opportunities they could edge by, once the Scots get the MOJO it's hard to contain them.

TSU over ALBION - Defense.  It's been the force behind every Thunder victory.  Undefeated at home and the season finale, the D should be (as Uncle Rico would say) "bringing it".  Some individual all-conference honors could also be at stake.  If Albion can play mistake free offense they could pull it out.  The deciding battle will be the Brit offense vs the Thunder defense.

Expect the unexpected, on another November 10th the unthinkable occurred - the powerful Edmund Fitzgerald went down.       

D306

D3DB

It is quiet on the board this week.
Only good thing I can say is this boards posters are typically intelligent and do not run childish smack so I will take a little slow over some of the drivel I see on other sports websites.

Deacon I agree I always thought Albion runs a tight program, at times recently seems to have lost a little steam with support from the College powers that be.
I trust the new leadership restores the focus. I think sports is integral to the college experience no matter what level of play.

This last year the offense was not as diverse or potent as usual, I am sure it is a function of the type of players and skills that this young team has. As this group progresses and additional talent comes on board I expect to see the prolific offense return. Next year several of the offense players will be entering their Junior and Senior years this bodes well for the upcoming season. This holds true on defense as well. Albion does lose several offensive linemen in particular and what I believe is the conferences best WR in Silvernail.

That is one thing I like about HS and College over the Pro's. You really can see the progression of some of the players and every year is a new story.

joepieters

Just wondering. 
The Little Giants will be playing the MIAA champion in the first round of the playoffs next week.  I see who's on top of the standings right now, but what is the tie-break formula?
Thanks!

dc_has_been

Joe- the Little Giants may be playing the MIAA champ.  There is still one week left & the playoff "projection" is not set in stone.

My question for the MIAA board is, who do think would represent the MIAA best in the playoffs?  It looks as if who ever goes will be a 7 or 8 seed, so you could be facing Mount Union or a number of diff., teams @ the 2 spot depending on what happens on Saturday.
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

miaafbfan

My picks for Nov. 10:

Alma at Adrian:  Alma  The Bulldogs' defense keeps this one very close...well within upset range.
Albion at Tri-State: Tri-State  The Thunder can make a statement this week by defeating a traditional power.
Kalamazoo at Olivet:  Olivet  Kalamazoo's woes continue.
Hope at Wisconsin Lutheran:  Hope  Barring an Alma loss to Adrian, looks like Hope represents again.

joepieters

Quote from: dc_has_been on November 09, 2007, 12:22:14 PM
Joe- the Little Giants may be playing the MIAA champ.  There is still one week left & the playoff "projection" is not set in stone.

My question for the MIAA board is, who do think would represent the MIAA best in the playoffs?  It looks as if who ever goes will be a 7 or 8 seed, so you could be facing Mount Union or a number of diff., teams @ the 2 spot depending on what happens on Saturday.

True enough, DC.
The question remains though, what's the MIAA tie-breaker?

D306

Wally

Review a couple of pages worth of this discussion and playoff scenarios on these earlier threads.

Formal process is also listed within these threads