FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoBo

Quote from: hazzben on October 28, 2014, 01:08:23 PM
Quote from: USee on October 28, 2014, 09:22:57 AM
I am all for making the "run for the bell" a legislated part of the winning ceremony. Maybe they put the bell in one endzone on display for all fans,etc to see and the winning team runs for it at the final buzzer.

I think you leave it on the bench of the team that won the previous year. This is what the B1G does with the Little Brown Jug, Paul Bunyan's Ax, etc. It's fun watching the players sprint over and take it back. It really gives a visual sense to a team 'reclaiming the trophy.'

That fun doesn't exist for the Wisconsin Badgers and the Paul Bunyan's Axe, since it lives behind the Badgers bench...the only time the Goophers get a sense of it is when they try to stop the Wisconsin players from chopping down the goalposts. This year will be no different.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

Langhorst_Ghost

Saturday is going to be a lot of fun.  November 1st and my Jays are still in a position to control their own destiny in the CCIW.

Having worked through some early growing pains in the non-con slate, EC has evolved into a more mature, more confident team in the last month.  Along with the changing leaves, the cool winds of October brought confidence and comfort back to Langhorst Field.  Coach Planz has worked to build a bond among the boys in blue, and has stressed family and brotherhood since the day he arrived at 190 Prospect Avenue.  His message has truly taken root, and although still in the early stages of building his program, Coach Planz has these kids believing in the message, in themselves, and in one another.

Wheaton is considered by most observers to be the more talented team.  As usual, the Thunder will again win the "getting off the bus contest" and field the more athletically gifted and physically intimidating squad (as is most often the case with all Wheaton teams).  The Crusaders have the talent and the experience to run the table in the conference, and are playing with extreme confidence, having flexed their blue and orange muscle last week against a perennial top 10 program.  Offensively, The Thunder can light it up, and on defense, there's talented players flying all over the field.  Swider will have his team motivated and focused, with a clear understanding of what's at stake for his program Saturday afternoon. 

Much of the same was said of the 2012 Wheaton team - a year that featured a supremely talented roster including Hiben, Cook, Clark, Roberts, Dykstra, and Dansdill. A senior-led Bluejay team stormed onto the National scene that year, knocking off the top 20 team, and ringing the bell at Langhorst.  The Jays gave up nearly 600 yards of offense that Saturday afternoon, but made the plays when they needed to - a goal-line stand and Tuckson pick six late to seal the deal. 

EC did not win many of their games with style points that season - squeaking out a W v. Augie the week prior (after getting stomped in Naperville), sneaking out of Lindsey Field with an OT victory, holding off a scrappy Carthage squad late up in Kenosha, and battling a battered IWU team to clinch a share of the crown at home.  Similarly, this bunch of scrappy birds finds ways to win beyond the box scores.

This 2014 EC defense is better...WAY better - statistically one of the best in the conference right now (with the explosive WC and NCC offenses still to come).  The offense is gaining steam and, like 2012, is again powered by a sturdy offensive line (one of the best in the league), a senior quarterback, and a Williams brother carrying the ball. Like the 2012 group, seniors set the tone (many multiple year contributors), buffered by a very talented group of underclassmen (products Lester's last couple of recruiting years).  Carry over most of the coaching staff, insert Coach Planz as the face of the program, and the winning EC spirit is alive and well in this 2014 team.

I agree with Jaybird - EC has to play a near perfect game to take down the Thunder and keep this improbable run at a championship dream alive.  I hope the Jays play loose, play fast, and play with tremendous passion...EC's attitude and effort will underscore any possible upset conversation we might be having on these boards Sunday.  Coach Planz will have the Jays ready to roll.   

Win or lose, i am so very proud of these kids.  As a true blue EC backer - With still a few chapters to write in the book of the 2014 Jays, it's hard to read this year's EC story with anything less than bright optimism and renewed pride for the program.

I have faith that Saturday will be a GREAT DAY TO BE A JAY!
It's a Great Day to be a Jay!

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Langhorst_Ghost on October 31, 2014, 10:54:26 AM
Win or lose, i am so very proud of these kids.  As a true blue EC backer - With still a few chapters to write in the book of the 2014 Jays, it's hard to read this year's EC story with anything less than bright optimism and renewed pride for the program.

I have faith that Saturday will be a GREAT DAY TO BE A JAY!

As you should be.  A season-opening loss to Loras can portend bad things ahead.  Seeing Elmhurst rattle off four straight CCIW wins - in whatever fashion, against whomever - and come into this game with their destiny in their own hands is pretty cool.

There are a handful of games like this around the nation this week; undefeated teams that look like their current conference favorites playing an underdog-with-a-puncher's chance in the CCIW, WIAC, ASC, IIAC, and a few other places around the country.  While the favorites might hold serve, odds would dictate that at least ONE of the big trees will fall, right?  Who will it be?
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

79jaybird

In the spirit of Halloween- L-Ghost are you going to the game dressed up as Victor E. Bluejay or one of the cheerleaders?  LOL

Yes, 2012 Elmhurst has lady luck and some favorable calls go their way, and then had a wonderful showing in the NCAA's.    The table could not be set any more favorable for EC this weekend, but needs to execute.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

wally_wabash

2012 Elmhurst had the best player in Division III.  Probably a key piece that shouldn't be left out when drawing all of these parallels. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

USee

This Wheaton team is also quite different than the 2012 version. No Hiben, Roberts, Veilling, Dykstra, P Dandsdill, etc. I would say this version of the Thunder is better than 2012 for a couple reasons. The offensive line on this team is significantly better. The skill guys are not as experienced and not as talented, but deeper. On defense, this LB crew as a whole is significantly better than 2012 and the corners on this unit are better. They are giving up 12.8 pts per game (vs 16.6 in 2012) and averaging 29 pts per game (vs 40 in 2012).

I don't know that this years Elmhurst team is overall better than 2012 but there are some clear differences. That team gave up a lot of yards but got a lot of turnovers. They led the league with a +16 TO margin (27 takeaways and just 11 giveaways). This years Elmhurst squad is -3 in TO margin and has taken it away just 11 times and has given it away 14 times with 3 games to go. 2012 Bluejay defense was 6th out of 8 teams in total defense and 4th in total offense. That year they gave up 201 yds per game on the ground. This years Jay's are 1st in total defense and 3rd in total offense. Their rush defense is allowing just 115 yds a game and they are averaging 379 yds on offense (vs. 415 in 2012).

USee

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 31, 2014, 12:23:40 PM
2012 Elmhurst had the best player in Division III.  Probably a key piece that shouldn't be left out when drawing all of these parallels.

True. Scottie's little brother Josh is the starting TB on this year's squad and averages 25 carries a game for 148 yds per game and 5.5 yds per carry and 6 TD's. Scottie was 27 carries a game for 169 yds and 6.2 yds per carry, 22 TD's

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: USee on October 31, 2014, 01:01:06 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on October 31, 2014, 12:23:40 PM

True. Scottie's little brother Josh is the starting TB on this year's squad and averages 25 carries a game for 148 yds per game and 5.5 yds per carry and 6 TD's. Scottie was 27 carries a game for 169 yds and 6.2 yds per carry, 22 TD's

Scottie Williams' career stats:

2009: 116 carries, 563 yards, 4 TD + 19 catches, 156 yards, 1 TD
2010: 218 carries, 1,220 yards, 14 TD + 29 catches, 194 yards, 1 TD
2011: 224 carries, 1,374 yards, 10 TD + 31 catches, 186 yards, 1 TD
2012: 329 carries, 2,046 yards, 22 TD + 23 catches, 182 yards, 2 TD

Josh Williams' career stats:

2012: 50 carries, 192 yards, 3 TD (the obvious caveat being that his brother was still in the backfield handling the load)
2013: 182 carries, 889 yards, 8 TD + 20 catches, 145 yards
2014: 186 carries, 1,006 yards, 7 TD + 24 catches, 246 yards, 1 TD (in 7 games)

Williams the younger, projected out to 10 games this year, will be pretty close to his elder brother's sophomore & junior year level of production.  Certainly no lock that he stays on this pace with tougher competition ahead, but he's going to be pretty close.  I know that just because a dude has the same last name and decent stats doesn't mean he's the actually the same player, but the younger brother certainly appears to be a worthy replacement for the old model, or at least can earn that with a few sterling performances as the competition steps up.

So, while it's easy to dismiss that 2012 Elmhurst team with a "Yeah, but it was all that one guy" - what if 2014/15 Elmhurst has a similar guy?
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

ncc_fan

iwu70

Should be a great game today -- Wheaton vs. Elmhurst.  May the best team win.

Bolden is back for the Titans today.  Not sure on Warner at QB.  Tough match-up for the Titans, away at North Central.

GO TITANS!!!

iwu'70

USee

Quote from: iwu70 on November 01, 2014, 11:54:29 AM
Should be a great game today -- Wheaton vs. Elmhurst.  May the best team win.

Bolden is back for the Titans today.  Not sure on Warner at QB.  Tough match-up for the Titans, away at North Central.

GO TITANS!!!

iwu'70

I would bet Warner will play. If he has a pulse he will be on the field for this one.

iwu70

Yes, Warner is playing, threw an INT on his first play back.  NC 24 IWU 14 at the half.  Titans had a horrible 1st Q, played better in the 2nd. 

WC over EC 28-13 at the half.

IWU70

Langhorst_Ghost

Halftime at Langhorst...two score lead for the Thunder.

Wheatie offense is a machine.  EC was holding serve until Joe Cam was stripped in the redzone. Thunder scored quickly on the ensuing posession - 14 point swing.

From the field level - wow, wheaton is frickin BIG! The two offensive tackles look like big ten players, multiple 6 foot plus wideouts, and the d-line is huge as well. Might be the most impressive looking D3 team (physically) I have seen in person...and that includes st.thomas 2 years ago.

Jays still have a shot, need a big turnover or two and have to somehow find a way to slow down Pelz.
It's a Great Day to be a Jay!

iwu70

Titans go down, down to 3-5, losing to NCC 45-24.  After being blown out 21-0 in the first Q, Titans fought back to get it within one score, but then NCC put the throttle up, and scored off of Titan INTs, to get the comfortable win.  Titan D again very poor vs. the run and over the middle vs. the pass.  Lot of D weaknesses to address.  This is not normal Titan D, as I keep saying.   Warner came back and had a good effective game, esp. in the second Q, but also threw 3 picks.  TOs played a big part in NCC pulling away.  It doesn't get any easier for the Titans next week @ WC. 

Wheaton put it to EC pretty good, winning easily.  Looks like they win the CCIW and get the NCAA tourney bid.  NCC may be a good at-large candidate at 8-2, but we know the history of 8-2 teams getting in.  They may be home, looking in. 

Likely first losing season for the Titans in how many years?  Not sure. 

I thought it would be 2-3 TDs NCC over IWU, and it turned out to be 3.  A disappointing day in Greenie-land.

IWU70

Mugsy

Any question about who is the QB for Wheaton after last week and this week are answered.  Another 8 TD's for Peltz.  4 passing, 4 rushing.  Over 100 yards rushing and nearly 300 yards passing, over 80% pass completions.  I believe Peltz completed his first 15 or so passes before his 1st incompletion.

Wheaton up over Elmhurst 56-20 with 2 minutes left in game.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019