2014 NCAA Tournament

Started by gobash83, November 14, 2014, 03:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

I said everyone expects quarterfinal matches to competitive, but that Washington University was the better team.  I'll be surprised if anyone else steps up to dispute that claim.

You are convinced that I said that Washington University was the far superior team and that Capital won in penalties only by the grace of God or magic or whatever.

I am not walking back what I said.  I am telling you exactly what I said.

Between the references to the Miracle on Ice, that Capital was a scrappy nobody, and the suggestion that the team with the complete team effort and unity won the game, obviously, you are so caught up in the underdog narrative that you cannot read a simple post for what it is.

I look forward to your next post in which you reference David and Goliath, and if who knows...maybe Malcolm Gladwell and the inverted U-curve?

2xfaux

The turn in this thread from 2014 NCAA Tournament to "whatever" proves once and forever that 6 x 9 really does equal 42.  I saw the Cap/Messiah game yesterday.  It was an interesting match-up of two very different styles of play.  Soccer anyone??

gobash83

Quote from: 2xfaux on November 17, 2014, 12:36:17 PM
The turn in this thread from 2014 NCAA Tournament to "whatever" proves once and forever that 6 x 9 really does equal 42.  I saw the Cap/Messiah game yesterday.  It was an interesting match-up of two very different styles of play.  Soccer anyone??

Yes, speaking of the 2014 NCAA Tournament, here are the Sweet 16:

Messiah
Messiah vs. Nazareth
Lynchburg vs. Montclair State

Chicago
Illinois Wesleyan vs. Chicago
Centre vs. Aurora

Carnegie Mellon
Carnegie Mellon vs. Johns Hopkins
Trinity (TX) vs. Thomas More

Williams
Williams vs. Roger Williams
TCNJ vs. Misericordia

I am most familiar with the teams at Chicago and Carnegie Mellon, having seen Thomas More, Centre and Illinois Wesleyan play in person this year. It should be an interesting round of games next weekend.
"Did Wabash Win?"--Ralph "Sap" Wilson '14 (1891-1910)

Purplegatorade

Gobash I am intrigued by why you think this round of games will be interesting.  What are you thoughts on the teams you have seen play?  I ask because it seems that most of the comments from people here who have seen teams play in person have been very NESCAC and Ohio focused.

Ocean 1

Quote from: Purplegatorade on November 17, 2014, 01:38:05 PM
Gobash I am intrigued by why you think this round of games will be interesting.  What are you thoughts on the teams you have seen play?  I ask because it seems that most of the comments from people here who have seen teams play in person have been very NESCAC and Ohio focused.

Agree...as one of those NESCAC followers, would also like to hear other points of view on the games coming up.  :)

CrusaderNation

Messiah was very impressive this weekend!  Their speed of play was superior to anyone Capital has played in a long time but it was their defensive pressence that put the Crusaders in an early hole which they weren't cawling out of!

Based of what teams I've seen this year or last I expect the Elite Eight to be Messiah v Lynchburg /  Chicago v Aurora /  Trinity v Carnegie Mellon and  Williams v Misercordia.   

The Messiah v Lynchburg game will be worth the price of admission and I believe will pan out as National Champions!

mmccrr

Crusader. fwiw I read your sched wrong from last year.  You did in fact beat Chicago.  I suppose this is where you tell me to know my facts before you read them or something. Just know it was an honest mistake. 

I am most familiar with the UAA and would love to hear all POV's.  Ive seen Carnegie a bit... they are strong...but thats a tough weekend ahead. If Lynch gets by Messiah they are my bet for Natl champs.

To go off of crusader i agree with all advancing except I choose Ill Wes over Chicago and TCNJ over Misercordia

Purplegatorade

I think another thing to look at is the regions that the remaining 16 teams are from.  I think it speaks volumes to the depth and competitive nature of certain regions.

Messiah vs. Nazareth (Mid Atlantic,East)
Lynchburg vs. Montclair State(South Atlantic, South Atlantic)

Illinois Wesleyan vs. Chicago (Central, Central)
Centre vs. Aurora(South Atlantic, Central)

Carnegie Mellon vs. Johns Hopkins (Great Lakes, Mid Atlantic)
Trinity (TX) vs. Thomas More(West, Great Lakes)

Williams vs. Roger Williams(New England,New England)
TCNJ vs. Misericordia (South Atlantic, Mid Atlantic)

CrusaderNation

At one time Purple Centre was also Great Lakes Region, but, that said I think it is pretty representative of where competitive teams in the NCAA Tournament have come from in the past few years.

In the past 5 Final Fours:[/b]
2013:  Wm Smith (East ) , Trinity (West), Middlebury (New England), Capital (Great Lakes)
2012:  Messiah (Mid Atlantic), Emory (South Atlantic), Misercordia (Mid Atlantic) Wheaton (Central)
2011:  Messiah (Mid Atlantic), Wheaton (Central), Ithica (East), Wm Smith (East )
2010:  Hardin Simmons (West), Messiah (Mid Atlantic), Otterbein (Great Lakes), Wm Smith (East )
2009:  Messiah (Mid Atlantic), Wash U (Central), Lynchburg (South Atlantic), TCNJ (South Atlantic)

Thats: 
Mid Atlantic (5) - 2 teams / East (4) - 2 teams / South Atlantic (3) - 3 teams / Central (3) - 2 teams / Great Lakes (2) - 2 teams / West (2) - 2 teams / New England (1) - 1 team

Purplegatorade

Crusader, I agree on it being representative of where competitive teams come from.  I do find it interesting that a few teams have changed regions over the years. I also find it interesting that one region has not been represented in the past five Final Fours.  What does that say, if anything, about that region?

2xfaux

2xfaux

My first thought, when I saw the "Mid-Atlantic Quad" match-ups for this weekend was "amazing a Sunday Messiah/Lynchburg match" but then I looked at Nazareth and Montclair State's resumes and realized that Saturday should be very interesting.  Four very good teams.  Hopefully the weather cooperates.     

gobash83

For what it is worth, here are my observations about the teams that I have seen in person that are still in the tournament.  These observations are conditioned on the fact that they are snapshots of the team and their opponent and conditions at the time.

The Thomas More match I saw showed the Saints to be a very physical team.  The match was chippy but not necessarily dirty, just rough.  TMC has two prolific goal scorers (#2 and #6) who work hard for their opportunities.  I saw Illinois Wesleyan twice and they are fast and athletic.  While they can play possession and buildup, they tend to fall into their strength with some hopeful long balls to the wings, counting on speed to win the opportunity.  They can get caught short-handed in transition but recover well and their back line can hold their own. Centre was probably the most technically sound of the three. They play a lot of players in a game and keep everyone fresh.  Good solid ball movement and like to work up the middle instead of the wings.

One of the interesting things about the matchups this round is that a few teams are getting a chance to get out of the shadow of some of their conference's traditional powers (IWU instead of Wheaton and Chicago instead of WUSTL and Emory).  Also, the "Chicago" bracket has three schools in it that are relatively close in proximity and the players may have some familiarity with each other.  I am also interested in seeing how TMC matches up with Trinity.  TMC has been building a solid program the last few years and I think that Trinity will be a good opponent for them to measure against.

I think I agree with most of CrusaderNation's picks for the Elite 8, though it wouldn't shock me to see Illinois Wesleyan work their way in over Chicago.   
"Did Wabash Win?"--Ralph "Sap" Wilson '14 (1891-1910)

2xfaux

I know these days games that are tied after two overtime periods go to PKs but looking at the D-3 Women's tournament history it seems that in the early days (1989, 1990, and 1994) games went to four overtime periods before PKs??  Does anyone know when that changed?  I hate PKs but just the idea of watching, or more to the point playing through four overtimes gives me cramps. 

Purplegatorade

There is some familiarity with UC, IWU and Aurora.  All three played each other this year.  With each team having a 1-1 record against each other.  Each team got their win away.  UC beat Aurora 3-2 with a heartbreaking goal with seconds left.  IWU beat UC at Chicago.  This was a game I commented on in a previous post.  IWU had solid control until UC had their final flurry.  Aurora beat IWU in a late season game in which they were dominated.  Aurora was out shot 20(8) -7(1).  Their lone shot on goal was their goal.  I think revenge will be on team's minds this weekend.  I think the winner of the UC and IWU game will come out of this pod and play in the Final Four.