WBB: GNAC Women's Hoops

Started by Poppadoc, February 14, 2005, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

My thoughts on last night's game--

Emmanuel had probably the best ball control of an NCAA tournament game that the Saints had ever played.   Usually, the Emmanuel system doesn't mind if the Saints turn the ball over 20 times, as long as the opponent turns it over 35 times.   However, in the game vs Rochester, Emmanuel only turned the ball over 9 times.   Usually, that is enough to win an NCAA tournament game and advance to the next round, but last night, the result did not come.

Although the result last night was not what Emmanuel had hoped for, the game itself could not have been any better played.  I was very proud of the effort and passion of both Emmanuel and Rochester in playing this contest.   It was unfortunate that the NCAA bean-counters and women's selection committee had to schedule this game as a first round match, but the insistence on not scheduling a lot of plane flights to make a more competitive bracket in DIII means that games normally that should wait for later in the tournament have to be played early under geographic proximity and regional ranking results.   

Emmanuel's game plan was the game plan I wanted the Saints to execute.   Emmanuel did a good job holding the star sophomore players Ally Zywicki and Breanna Madrazo in check.   I knew that Rochester's #42 Loren Wagner was a great player, and normally Loren Wagner is not thought of as a 20+ ppg player, but if Wagner had not played the game of her life last night, the Saints would have played Williams today in round 2.  Wagner did not have a 20+ ppg game in her college career until last night.  Of all of Rochester's best 7 players to take over the game in the last 5 minutes, Wagner would definitely not have been my first pick.  I would have gone with the sophomores, Jackie Walker, or Amy Woods for my first 4 picks before Loren Wagner, but in the NCAAs-- anything can happen.   In her 24 pt game last night, Loren Wagner of Rochester scored 11 of her team's final 13 pts in the last 5 minutes.

Emmanuel is now 2-2 vs UAA teams in the NCAA DIII tournament counting the famous 2000-2001 season.

Although Emmanuel had played Rochester twice in the past, last night's contest was the first between the two sides played in the Palestra in Rochester, NY, and the first time that Coaches Andy Yosinoff and Jim Scheible have squared off.  Prior to last night, the last meeting between Emmanuel and Rochester took place in the early 1990s.

This year's Emmanuel team, had they competed in the UAA, could have gotten at least 8 wins in league play over the course of the season.   Had Rochester played Emmanuel on their conference road trip to New York and Boston, I strongly believe that the Saints would have won the game in the Jean Yawkey Center by at least 20 to 25 points-- as Rochester was really tired after their OT victory at NYU on that weekend.

In other GNAC news--

Suffolk is in Castleton, VT to play their 3 PM Eastern semifinal vs Wellesley today, with the winner playing the winner of Castleton vs Westfield State tomorrow for the ECAC New England title.  If the Rams win the ECAC New England title, I believe that it would be the first in their program history.

PS-- Andy Yosinoff was quoted as saying that last night's game was the best NCAA tournament game that he has ever coached and been in.   This certainly was the best first round game that the Saints have ever played-- that I can agree. 

gordonmann

We've released our list of All-Americans. Congratulations to Fiona O'Dwyer

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2013/03/womens-all-americans

remsleep

Love to hear about coaching change rumors. Let's dig and find out!

deiscanton

Sorry that I have not posted in a while...

Another GNAC tournament starts tomorrow.

Last year,  Emmanuel lost in the first round of the GNAC tournament for the first time in school history.  #8 seed Norwich knocked off the Saints in overtime last year, and the following week in the ECAC tournament, Brandeis ended Emmanuel's season.  Emmanuel was the #1 seed for the ECAC tournament last year as well.

Tomorrow, Olivia Bolden, the top candidate for GNAC Rookie of the Year, will try to lead her Albertus Magnus Falcons to knock off the Saints in the Jean Yawkey Center.  I don't expect that to happen tomorrow, but I did not expect Norwich to win last year either. 

Emmanuel only beat Albertus Magnus by 12 pts in the regular season, but the Saints have won every GNAC game by at least 15 pts since the 2 pt win at Norwich.  Norwich is the #2 seed in the GNAC tournament this year, so Saturday would be the earliest time that Sarah Higgins, Vanessa Bramante, Jen Bujnowski,  Devin Rauh and the rest of the Emmanuel Saints would square off against Heather LeBlanc, Aliah Curry, and the rest of the Norwich Cadets.  If that game takes place on Saturday, it will be a barn-burner.

St Joe's Maine, the defending GNAC champion, has to go to Providence, RI tomorrow to take on Johnson & Wales.  Game could go either way.

To me, Suffolk looks to be a favorite in the underground Regan Gym tomorrow against Deanna Purcell and the Rivier Raiders.

Emmanuel is looking for redemption this season in what should be an excellent GNAC tournament.  I will probably be following the early games on line due to the state of the MBTA Commuter Rail system.

Pat Coleman

So glad to see you back here!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

7express

Good to hear from you Deis!  I agree, Emmanuel should definitely be the team to beat.

deiscanton

I got to attend the GNAC women's championship game today.

Congrats to the Johnson & Wales Wildcats on going dancing in the NCAAs for the first time.  The Wildcats certainly earned their bid this week with road victories at Norwich and Emmanuel.

JWU is a young team, but Coach Boilard will have them ready for the spotlight on Friday.

deiscanton

I am at the Brandeis v Emmanuel game.

Emmanuel's new low major d1 transfer from Fort Wayne, #1 Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda, is a player.  She is leading all Saints in scoring with 12 pts, and it is her play on the court that was instrumental in helping Emmanuel to a 4 pt lead at halftime, 27-23.  The first quarter played like a Tufts-Amherst fight, but the game opened up in the second quarter.  If the Saints are to defeat the Monks and regain GNAC supremacy, Ramirez-Tejeda will have to play big against St Joe's (Maine).

deiscanton

My wrap up of last night's Brandeis vs Emmanuel game--

Although the Saints lost by 11 last night, Yuleska Ramirez-Tejeda posted career highs in pts with 21, in rebounds with 11, and in steals with 4.  Last year, her season highs while playing for Fort Wayne in the DI Summit League are 10 pts vs North Dakota State, 7 rebounds vs Denver, and 3 steals vs North Dakota State.  She played in 23 games off the bench for the Fort Wayne Mastodons last season.

Brandeis had a great defensive performance in the 4th quarter in which the Judges held Ramirez-Tejeda to 1 pt in the quarter, and the Saints to 2-15 shooting in the last 10 minutes.

Emmanuel has 2 tough games remaining before the slate starts to ease up a bit.  The Saints play at Amherst next Tuesday before opening up GNAC play by hosting the reigning GNAC champion St Joe's Maine Monks the following Saturday.  The Monks will come into GNAC play as the favorites to repeat as champions, and I saw nothing from last night's game to convince me that the Monks won't do it again-- especially given the success of the Monks last year in GNAC road games, and given that the Monks return most of their big players back from last year's team.

deiscanton

GNAC women's basketball conference play starts on Saturday with the highlight game being the reigning champion St Joe's Maine Monks travelling to Emmanuel to take on the Saints.

Each GNAC team is scheduled for 16 league games before the conference tournament.  With Regis (MA) now in the conference, sub-divisional play has been scrapped this year.  Each team has 4 randomly selected opponents that each team will play home and away.  Here is the slate of opponents that the top 4 teams in the GNAC poll will play home and away.

St Joe's Maine gets these conf opponents home and away:

Rivier, Suffolk, Lasell, Norwich

Emmanuel gets to play these opponents home and away:

Simmons, Albertus Magnus, Mt Ida, Anna Maria

Johnson and Wales plays these opponents home and away:

St Joseph CT, Simmons, Rivier, Albertus Magnus

Regis plays these opponents home and away:

Lasell, Simmons, Suffolk, Rivier.

deiscanton

Another milestone coming up this season:

Emmanuel head coach Andy Yosinoff needs 11 more wins to become the 13th Women's Basketball coach at any NCAA division to win 800 career games.  This milestone should be reached in late January, 2018 at the earliest.

deiscanton

I do not know what to make of Emmanuel outscoring Amherst 21-7 in the fourth quarter last night.  The Saints had only scored 17 pts vs Amherst's defense after 3 quarters and were down by 25 entering the fourth.  I guess any positive event in a game against Amherst is good momentum going into the game with the Monks on Saturday.  I still have to give St Joe's Maine the edge on Saturday given that the Monks are shooting better from 3 pt range and at the free throw line.  There will still be another 15 conference games to play after Saturday, but home court for the GNAC title game could get a very early decision this weekend.

deiscanton

Since there has been a discussion on the UAA Men's Basketball forum about which 1st year player has been scoring the best per 40 minutes, I did an unofficial calculation on St Joe's Maine's top 6 scorers vs Emmanuel's top 6 scorers as to point production per 40 minutes going into Saturday's game.  My unofficial results:

St Joe's Maine

Kelsi McNamara-- 20.94 pts per 40 min.
Emily Benway-- 18.04 pts per 40 min.
Regan McFerran-- 17.95 pts
Julia Champagne-- 17.68 pts
Julia Quinn-- 14.96 pts
Heather Marks-- 13.58 pts

Emmanuel-- points per 40 minutes

Yuleska Ramirez- Tejeda-- 24 pts
Alisha Fox-- 19.76 pts
Taylor Shubrick-- 16 pts
Kayla Weaver-- 14.49 pts
Maddie McLaughlin-- 13.53 pts
Mary McCarthy-- 12.63 pts

St Joe's has a slight combined edge vs Emmanuel in pts per 40 minutes with their top 6 scorers.

The big matchup is at Andy Yosinoff Court in Boston on Saturday.

amh63

deiscanton.....will give you my view of the 4th quarter of the game at Amherst the other night.  Your coach brought in some quick players that outplayed the Amherst players on the floor at the time.  They caused TOs, finally made their foul shots, etc.  Finally, Amherst's HC put two starters back into the game in the last few minutes to steady the team.  It will be a 4th quarter that will become a teaching point at practice,imo.  An example, an Amherst FY player made a slick no-look pass to a teammate.  The problem was her teammate was not expecting it...TO!   
Will see if the team plays better tonight in an away game.

deiscanton

Quote from: amh63 on November 30, 2017, 10:44:04 AM
deiscanton.....will give you my view of the 4th quarter of the game at Amherst the other night.  Your coach brought in some quick players that outplayed the Amherst players on the floor at the time.  They caused TOs, finally made their foul shots, etc.  Finally, Amherst's HC put two starters back into the game in the last few minutes to steady the team.  It will be a 4th quarter that will become a teaching point at practice,imo.  An example, an Amherst FY player made a slick no-look pass to a teammate.  The problem was her teammate was not expecting it...TO!   
Will see if the team plays better tonight in an away game.

Amh63, Coach Yosinoff is a good friend of mine, and I did live on the Emmanuel campus during the 1991-92 season when I was a first year at Northeastern University Law School, but I find it weird to have an old Amherst fan refer to coach Yosinoff as "my coach" (it implies that the Saints are my primary team) when I went to Brandeis as an undergrad.  I do have an association with Emmanuel through the 2000-01 Final Four team, which was captained by a hometown player who currently is the girls high school coach at Westwood, MA, so during that season, I adopted Emmanuel as a second team.   However, I always cheer on my alma mater when they play the Saints-- other than those times, I hope Emmanuel succeeds in GNAC play. 

Anyway, I'm glad for the analysis, amh63, and I hope that the Saints can pull off an upset on Saturday.  It feels weird not having the GNAC title game in Boston for the past few years.