Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HScoach

Kudos to the NCAA seeding too.  All 4 regions are #1 vs #2.

Yuck.  I can't believe I just typed that.............
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: middlerelief on November 24, 2012, 06:58:26 PM
I think kudos are in order to the D3football.com community.

Clearly the process you guys have in place to construct your Top 25 Polls works - just noticed that of the 8 remaining teams, they are comprised of rankings 1-7, and 9.

Not too bad!

Thanks -- and that's the maximum that could have advanced, since 8 was seeded to play 1 in the second round.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Teamski

Kieth is usually on top of things on the Around the Nation podcast, but he made the comment that Cortland State outgained Wesley in the game.  Wha????  They had but 66 yards rushing and 128 yards passing which were far less than what Wesley attained in the game.  Wesley has trailed in time of possession in the last two games because of offensive efficiency, not because they were being outgained.  Sorry, but I have to point that out.  Give Wesley some credit.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Teamski on November 26, 2012, 09:37:01 AM
Kieth is usually on top of things on the Around the Nation podcast, but he made the comment that Cortland State outgained Wesley in the game.  Wha????  They had but 66 yards rushing and 128 yards passing which were far less than what Wesley attained in the game.  Wesley has trailed in time of possession in the last two games because of offensive efficiency, not because they were being outgained.  Sorry, but I have to point that out.  Give Wesley some credit.

-Ski
194 yds for Cortland; 360 yds total offense for Wesley
Cortland St at Wesley box score

Pat Coleman

-Ski

Alright, so Keith misread the box score, but I'm pretty sure Wesley has gotten a crap-load of credit from us so perhaps you also misspoke.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Teamski

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 26, 2012, 10:02:14 AM

-Ski

Alright, so Keith misread the box score, but I'm pretty sure Wesley has gotten a crap-load of credit from us so perhaps you also misspoke.

Well, I did post before I heard out the entire podcast, so I was a bit quick worded.  My apologies.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

shepherd

Pat and Keith - I really love the Podcast every week as it makes my Monday mornings brighter.   Having said that did you guys talk about the Elmhurst game?  Maybe I missed it.  Anyway I really look forward to it every week.
Thanks
Go Thunder

art76

Pat and Keith, Thanx again for a great podcast this morning. I finally have a few moments to let you know. I might have missed it, but I was waiting for one of you to bring up the fact that there were no more two loss teams left because all 4 got knocked out. And now there is only one team with a loss left in Wesley, everybody else left is undefeated. I was kind of hoping that one of the two loss teams (Bethel, North Central, Franklin or Salisbury) could have broken through to this level because of all the pre-selection chatter concerning pool C teams. (I know Bethel was the last Pool C team left). Maybe next year we'll have a 2 loss team get a little further. Looking forward to your triple take column on Friday as you guys dissect the teams in minutiae.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

Pat Coleman

Art76 -- good point. We were focused on the fact that none of the lower-ranked teams advanced, and that's pretty similar.

Go Thunder -- we definitely talked about it. I have notes on my screen about Elmhurst shortening the game and limiting UST to 50 snaps on offense, and Keith talked about how the UST defense limited Elmhurst to three points in the final XX minutes.

We did have some recording issues and had to re-tape the last 6-8 minutes (three times!) but I didn't detect any other gaps in the recording that would indicate something of that magnitude dropping from the recording.

K-Mack

I already apologized on the podcast thread for the Wesley mix-up. I think I just saw that the Wolverines were under 200 yards passing and under 400 total and was trying to make the point that they scored 56 points without putting up a major yardage total. Maybe I transposed the numbers or maybe I just had a case of foot-in-mouth while talking for a good portion of the hour and 17 minutes, but it happens and it's been publically corrected.

Elmhurst, we did glaze over the game to a degree, but this podcast was very forward-focused on the final eight and the matchups and strengths/weaknesses, and less looking back at Saturday. We didn't talk about Wittenberg or Franklin all that much either, and I had a ton of insight on Salisbury-Widener that just wasn't relevant there at the end or would have turned it into an even longer recording.

At this point in the year, Pat and I could probably do a half-hour podcast a day and not repeat ourselves much. There's plenty to talk about, but the site would have to be funded as a full-time venture for us to meet that kind of demand.

I appreciate all the comments, kind and otherwise. Always good to know, from Twitter and fans on site and coaches, that people really do listen. It's tough for me to come home from work on an NFL Sunday and boot up to record for 90 minutes (when you factor in setup). I know Pat has to wait up to accommodate my schedule, so the fact that it is well received makes that all worth it.

The real reason I came by to post is because I promised a UW-Oshkosh parent some good Portland/McMinnville recommendations, but it can't hurt to ask the greater audience what they'd point someone towards if they were spending their Christmas fund to fly from Oshkosh to Oregon for a D-III game. Help out if you can:

QuoteBooked the flight last night on Expedia. We had to fly into Seattle to make the budget work and drive down, but we have two half days in Portland and McNinnville, and would love any local suggestions. As I said we are on a tight budget, as this is our xmas money, as my son is a senior, and I won't miss his potential last game. So any diners type restaurants or family restaurants? I can't handle fast food, but I love the little family joints.

I asked Catdome Alumni to weigh in, but anyone familiar with Portland or McMinnville, chime in.

I definitely gave some Widener folks some Alliance pointers, but mostly it was that there's not a whole lot to do there. They were booked at the Super 8!
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

HScoach

K-Mack:   The best thing to do when attending a game in Alliance is to stay in nearby Canton and hit the Pro Football HOF.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

K-Mack

Here are the potential Stagg Bowls and my snap judgment storylines to seeing those two names paired together, if I had one:

Mount Union vs. Linfield: <---- Been a long time coming.
Mount Union vs. UW-Oshkosh <---- Oshkosh playing the role of UW-Whitewater.
Mount Union vs. Hobart
Mount Union vs. St. Thomas <---- All purple, all the time.
UMHB vs. Linfield <---- 2004 rematch.
UMHB vs. UW-Oshkosh <---- Holy offense Batman. Great QBs. Maybe the matchup I want to see?
UMHB vs. Hobart
UMHB vs. St. Thomas
Wesley vs. Linfield <---- rematch of last year's Round 2; I know Linfield wants another shot.
Wesley vs. UW-Oshkosh
Wesley vs. Hobart <---- rematch of last year's Round 1.
Wesley vs. St. Thomas <---- Both semifinal losers from last year break through.
Widener vs. Linfield <---- A gajillion passing yards.
Widener vs. UW-Oshkosh
Widener vs. Hobart <---- East Region prevails, Frank Rossi drools with glee Bowl
Widener vs. St. Thomas

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: HScoach on November 26, 2012, 06:48:12 PM
K-Mack:   The best thing to do when attending a game in Alliance is to stay in nearby Canton and hit the Pro Football HOF.

Which was precisely my advice; Go to Canton, stay in Akron or even Cleveland and drive down. Or enjoy Alliance but don't expect more than a meal and a place to stay.

I have tried the Pro Football HOF only once on my many Alliance trips, and when I got there it was closing for a private event. But I have been to the Bob Evans in Salem like three or four times!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on November 26, 2012, 06:59:15 PM
Here are the potential Stagg Bowls and my snap judgment storylines to seeing those two names paired together, if I had one:

Mount Union vs. Linfield: <---- Been a long time coming.
Mount Union vs. Hobart            (In other years, this would be the "East" Regional final in the Round of 8)
UMHB vs. Linfield <---- 2004 rematch.
UMHB vs. UW-Oshkosh <---- Holy offense Batman. Great QBs. Maybe the matchup I want to see?
UMHB vs. Hobart              (Is the East really this good?  Texans want to know!)
UMHB vs. St. Thomas        (Still purple!)
Wesley vs. Linfield <---- rematch of last year's Round 2; I know Linfield wants another shot.
Wesley vs. UW-Oshkosh             (Another version of Wesley versus the WIAC)
Widener vs. UW-Oshkosh     (MAC/East Region back in the Stagg Bowl. Reminds you of the 1990's.)
Widener vs. Hobart <---- East Region prevails, Frank Rossi drools with glee Bowl
Widener vs. St. Thomas      (Widener has a 1977/1981 Stagg veteran re-union gala on the night before the game.)   

I thought of story lines for the rest.  C'mon fans, weigh in!

MonroviaCat

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 27, 2012, 09:30:42 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 26, 2012, 06:59:15 PM

Mount Union vs. Linfield: <---- Been a long time coming. AND PURPLE
Mount Union vs. Hobart            (In other years, this would be the "East" Regional final in the Round of 8)
UMHB vs. Linfield <---- 2004 rematch .AND PURPLE
UMHB vs. Hobart              (Is the East really this good?  Texans want to know!)
UMHB vs. St. Thomas        (Still purple!)
Wesley vs. UW-Oshkosh             (Another version of Wesley versus the WIAC)
Widener vs. UW-Oshkosh     (MAC/East Region back in the Stagg Bowl. Reminds you of the 1990's.)
Widener vs. St. Thomas      (Widener has a 1977/1981 Stagg veteran re-union gala on the night before the game.)   

I thought of story lines for the rest.  C'mon fans, weigh in!
added a few (well one thought a couple of times).... :)
Go Cats!