Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Quote from: ITH radio on February 14, 2013, 02:40:45 PM
Couple of good D3 shout outs (Midd and Depauw) in Simmons' PED mail bag:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8943765/rants-raves

#whyd3

Well the Vermont one doesn't sound so "good," but that professor definitely frequents D3hoops.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Is it true?  Keith, are you leaving D3football.com Around the Nation to become the Redskins/NFL editor at the Washington Post?

Ron Boerger

Keith definitely is becoming the Redskins editor at the Post (actually, has become as of Apr 1):

Quote from: KMac Facebook
I'm very thrilled to be taking over as the Washington Post's Redskins/NFL Editor in the beginning of April. So much to do ...

As for ATN:
Quote from: comments to above post
Kevin Niehus That's awesome Kmack -- what's this mean for your gig at D3??

Keith McMillan Glad you asked. It definitely means Around the Nation as we knew it is no more, but Patrick L. Coleman are re-imagining it and I'm sure we'll have some details to share before the season starts.

Patrick L. Coleman Yep -- we can do ATN differently. It doesn't have to be a long-form column. I actually think this is a good impetus for re-evaluating what makes a good internet column in this day and age and I hope what we end up with is something the readers enjoy.

Saw your comment in the thread, Ralph, but figured others might have seen your post here and wanted more info.

wildcat11

Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 02, 2013, 08:52:10 AM
Keith definitely is becoming the Redskins editor at the Post (actually, has become as of Apr 1):

Quote from: KMac Facebook
I'm very thrilled to be taking over as the Washington Post's Redskins/NFL Editor in the beginning of April. So much to do ...

As for ATN:
Quote from: comments to above post
Kevin Niehus That's awesome Kmack -- what's this mean for your gig at D3??

Keith McMillan Glad you asked. It definitely means Around the Nation as we knew it is no more, but Patrick L. Coleman are re-imagining it and I'm sure we'll have some details to share before the season starts.

Patrick L. Coleman Yep -- we can do ATN differently. It doesn't have to be a long-form column. I actually think this is a good impetus for re-evaluating what makes a good internet column in this day and age and I hope what we end up with is something the readers enjoy.

Saw your comment in the thread, Ralph, but figured others might have seen your post here and wanted more info.

Looking forward to it...just as long as D3 avoids the bleacher report/buzzfeed sports model.  "14 Incredible D3 players who last names start with the letter Z"

K-Mack

Well I'm in sort of a nine-day transition from my old job to my new; I don't start Redskins during the day until the 9th. But there's a lot to do, and it means I scrapped some plans I had to write more during the offseason, although I thinkk we'll still be able to do post new offseason articles, especially leading up to the draft.

We'll definitely have to do ATN differently, but there's no way we could just let it die on the vine. In the end, we might be able to cut down on that wait between the games and Thursday for those best insights. And we'll still have an increasingly good crop of ATR guys, the podcast and such, so it might not be that much of a net loss for the fans. Plus the NFL is resting on Saturdays for its big Sunday so I'll be able to pay closer attention to games. But then I'll be NFL-focused all Sunday and Monday and much of the week.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

I have given serious consideration on the move of K-Mack from D3football.com to the Washington Post Redskins beat.

It is kinda like Andy Enfield going from Florida Gulf Coast University to USC.

(I still think that you should have taken the Cowboys beat job!  Wait!  No, I would not inflict Jerry Jones on a nice guy like you.  The Cowboys need a new owner who will fire the General Manager!)

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 03, 2013, 05:24:29 PM
I have given serious consideration on the move of K-Mack from D3football.com to the Washington Post Redskins beat.

It is kinda like Andy Enfield going from Florida Gulf Coast University to USC.

(I still think that you should have taken the Cowboys beat job!  Wait!  No, I would not inflict Jerry Jones on a nice guy like you.  The Cowboys need a new owner who will fire the General Manager!)

I think you know how I feel about Jerrah.

And I'd prefer to be compared to Brian Kelly, who at least went D-II to Cincy to Notre Dame. Or how about Shaka Smart? That's a good one.

Also I'll be orchestrating not beat-reporting, so you won't have to worry about seeing my byline. It's really just a can-I-handle-it-all time thing, and not wanting to bite off more than can be chewed.

I'll be around, I'm not vanishing completely. And we have groomed other talented writers for you to love.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

I appreciate all the support though. :D
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

HScoach

K-Mack:   Congrats and good luck.   Hope you don't completely forget about us little people......... ;)
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Ryan Tipps

I'm woefully behind chiming in on this, but I wanted to add my congrats to you Keith! Sounds like a great gig at the WP.
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

hazzben

Woefully behind as well, but congrats Keith! Well deserved.

gordonmann

Me too.  Congrats, K-Mack.

ITH radio

what did you guys think of the sporting news college fb 2013 d3 preseason rankings?  lindy's had one as well but the SN guy at least seemed to have some knowledge of D3FB.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

D3MAFAN

Quote from: ITH radio on June 18, 2013, 02:00:14 PM
what did you guys think of the sporting news college fb 2013 d3 preseason rankings?  lindy's had one as well but the SN guy at least seemed to have some knowledge of D3FB.

When D3Football post their's, then I'll be happy. As Bart Scot will say "Can't Wait!"

Ron Boerger

I found it pretty interesting that Johns Hopkins posted complete copies of both Lindy's and Sporting News' D3 previews ... copyright, what's that?