Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Taff

Quote from: Knightstalker on December 02, 2012, 09:43:41 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 02, 2012, 09:00:33 AM
Great post, K-Mack.+1! The way you rattled off the UMU QB's was impressive.

I can't rattle off the Dallas Cowboy QB's that easily, but then there have been a lot of them that I want to forget!  :P

That is because there are only three worth mentioning and only two of them won Super Bowls.  The three are Dandy Don, Roger Staubach and Troy Aikmen.  All the rest are just cannon fodder.
I'm so glad you didn't mention Danny white
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

Ralph Turner

I can't rattle off the Dallas Cowboy QB's that easily, but then there have been a lot of them that I want to forget!  :P

That is because there are only three worth mentioning and only two of them won Super Bowls.  The three are Dandy Don, Roger Staubach and Troy Aikmen.  All the rest are just cannon fodder.
I can give you four more who are worthy of mention.

Eddie LeBaron was the first Dallas QB as was a Pro Bowler for the Washington Redskins in the 1950's. He is in the Washington Redskins Ring of Honor.

Craig Morton was in the Quarterback Shuffle during the Super Bowl VI-winning 1971 season with Staubach. Morton later led the Denver Broncos to the Super Bowl against the Cowboys in Super bowl XII after the 1977 season.  Morton is on the Broncos Ring Of Honor.

Dan Reeves was also pressed into duty a backup QB when the other QB's were injured.  He has most Super Bowl appearances of anyone (9).

Yes, the rest are just cannon-fodder!  Thanks for the opportunity to reminesce of when the Cowboys were a real team, kinda like the Mount Union of the NFL.

As for Danny White, in the immortal words of Tom Landry, "No Danny! NO!"

Knightstalker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 02, 2012, 01:27:54 PM

Eddie LeBaron was the first Dallas QB as was a Pro Bowler for the Washington Redskins in the 1950's. He is in the Washington Redskins Ring of Honor.

Craig Morton was in the Quarterback Shuffle during the Super Bowl VI-winning 1971 season with Staubach. Morton later led the Denver Broncos to the Super Bowl against the Cowboys in Super bowl XII after the 1977 season.  Morton is on the Broncos Ring Of Honor.

Dan Reeves was also pressed into duty a backup QB when the other QB's were injured.  He has most Super Bowl appearances of anyone (9).

Yes, the rest are just cannon-fodder!  Thanks for the opportunity to reminesce of when the Cowboys were a real team, kinda like the Mount Union of the NFL.

I never realized the Eddie LeBaron played for the Cowboys.  I forgot about Craig Morton because he played for Giants, Broncos and Cowboys.  He definitely is worth mentioning.  I never realized the Dan Reeves played qb for the Cowboys.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Ralph Turner

Aikman was drafted by Jimmy Johnson. Jerry Jones has not had a decent QB (a decent Dallas Cowboy QB) since Aikman.

If the 49'ers don't make "the Catch" in the 1981 NFC championship game, then Danny White probably has a different career!

@d3jason

Quote from: Knightstalker on December 03, 2012, 11:30:15 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 02, 2012, 01:27:54 PM

I never realized the Eddie LeBaron played for the Cowboys.  I forgot about Craig Morton because he played for Giants, Broncos and Cowboys.  He definitely is worth mentioning.  I never realized the Dan Reeves played qb for the Cowboys.
Reeves was a halfback but did throw the go ahead TD in the ICE Bowl on a option pass before Starr led the original "drive."

Knightstalker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 03, 2012, 11:23:15 PM
Aikman was drafted by Jimmy Johnson. Jerry Jones has not had a decent QB (a decent Dallas Cowboy QB) since Aikman.

If the 49'ers don't make "the Catch" in the 1981 NFC championship game, then Danny White probably has a different career!

Danny White was a pretty good qb for a punter.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

Toby Taff

So if you are looking for end of the year articles still, how about odd happenings this season: LiDarraling.
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

art76

Keith,

We have two Sophomore QBs leading their teams - kind of an anomaly I would think.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

hazzben

Quote from: art76 on December 09, 2012, 09:58:49 AM
Keith,

We have two Sophomore QBs leading their teams - kind of an anomaly I would think.

I was just about to post this exact thing.

K-Mack

No love for Danny White?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: Toby Taff on December 02, 2012, 01:18:13 PM

I'm so glad you didn't mention Danny white

Oh. Oops.

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: Toby Taff on December 06, 2012, 12:59:02 AM
So if you are looking for end of the year articles still, how about odd happenings this season: LiDarraling.

This definitely made my list, but thanks for keeping it top of mind.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Quote from: hazzben on December 10, 2012, 05:24:34 PM
Quote from: art76 on December 09, 2012, 09:58:49 AM
Keith,

I was just about to post this exact thing.

Yeah, we sort of wrote that feature last week, contrasting Bailey and Wara with Burke and O'Connell, so now we can't write it again this week. but we can acknowledge it in the Stagg Bowl broadcast!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

ITH radio

Couple of good D3 shout outs (Midd and Depauw) in Simmons' PED mail bag:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8943765/rants-raves

#whyd3
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle