How good do you have to be to play d3 Basketball?

Started by JJKCHS23, January 20, 2008, 04:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJKCHS23

I'm only about 5'6 and 120 pounds.Very good speed and dribbling skills.Decent Jump shot and a great passer.
I'm Known for my passing ability and not for my shooting or scoring.I start on my high school team that is pretty good. I'm a hard worker also. I want to find a school that needs a pass first point guard but i really can't find any....Any Suggestions?  Am i good enough?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: JJKCHS23 on January 20, 2008, 04:15:10 PM
I'm only about 5'6 and 120 pounds.Very good speed and dribbling skills.Decent Jump shot and a great passer.
I'm Known for my passing ability and not for my shooting or scoring.I start on my high school team that is pretty good. I'm a hard worker also. I want to find a school that needs a pass first point guard but i really can't find any....Any Suggestions?  Am i good enough?
Okay, let's start with some more information...

1) GPA
2) SAT/ACT scores
3) Course of study you wish to pursue
4) Geographic preference for the location of the school
5) How much economic aid do you need?  How much academic aid/scholarships can you merit as a student-athlete?

:)

Here and here is a good 5'6" 165lb point guard at McMurry.  He is a great floor leader who is coming back from injuries this season.

JJKCHS23

1)3.0 All Togethor and 3.4 so far this year
2)1190 all togethor on the Sat's
3)Sports Management or Business Administration
4)Mid-Atlantic-East Coast
5)There's no set preference on how much i need

Pat Coleman

Seems like you're in good shape to qualify academically at a range of institutions, anyway.

You may have a hard time getting recruited but there are certainly programs that would give you a chance. I can't recommend any specific programs and still remain neutral.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Cards7580

NCAA Minimums.

GPA 3.0
SAT  1000  on the Math and Reading parts combined.
PPG:  9.0+    Assist Per Game:  4-5

Can you defend quick guards who are 6' 1" with inside post up skills?
Have you been a 4 year starter in High School and/or prep school?
The level of competition you played against is also a big factor in
getting a chance.  If you are 5'6" and 120 pounds and averaging 9 points
and 5 assists against large city schools in Rochester, Syracuse, NYC, Buffalo
you will have a better chance than a similar player playing against class "d"
schools in New York state who play with a 6' 1" center.

5'6" is a little small for most REALLY good Division III teams

What grade are you?  Senior ? 
You will need a video of your skills.
You should get at least three letters of recommendation from coaches. teachers and other
adults who  are familiar with your leadership, athletic and/or academic realities.

Try a scouting service which can help you promote yourself to coaches in those area's or
send out letters to those teams that look like they need a point guard.

Send me your contact information and high school and I may be able to give you a few
places to contact.

JJKCHS23

I can guard guards in the post that are 6'1.I have to deal with that alot in high school. I am a two year starter at my high school.We play in the bayside conference in maryland. We are a small school with about 800 kids but We play Bigger high schools.We play against some real good competition and a lot of college talent. I am a senior.My coach,Pat McClary,Who has a lot of experience with coaching and his son is a head coach at Mary mount university in Virginia.He has told me i could help a d3 team out.A scouting service to me isnt worth it if i know im going division 3 because division 3 schools really can't give out scholarships(and they cost alot of money).

smedindy

You may find a better deal at a D3 school than a partial NAIA scholarship.

It never hurts to try. There are plenty of East Coast D-3 schools.

Mr. Ypsi

If I were a college coach, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the 5'6" - Earl Boykins dominated the d1 MAC at 5'5" (though he was listed at 5'8" as a freshman - his coach later joked "you think I'm gonna risk my job recruiting a 'midget' before he proved himself").  It's the 120 lbs. I'd be concerned with - find the weight room, quick! :)

More seriously, at your size it is extremely unlikely you have a career in bball (neither do the vast majority of d3 guards 8 inches taller than you!), so pick a college for the college - the bball (whether varsity, jv, or intramurals) will take care of itself.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on January 20, 2008, 05:48:53 PM
If I were a college coach, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the 5'6" - Earl Boykins dominated the d1 MAC at 5'5" (though he was listed at 5'8" as a freshman - his coach later joked "you think I'm gonna risk my job recruiting a 'midget' before he proved himself").  It's the 120 lbs. I'd be concerned with - find the weight room, quick! :)

More seriously, at your size it is extremely unlikely you have a career in bball (neither do the vast majority of d3 guards 8 inches taller than you!), so pick a college for the college - the bball (whether varsity, jv, or intramurals) will take care of itself.
Mr Ypsi is right.  The quality of talent across D3 is good, but so homogenous.  Most players getting playing time at one school will get playing time at 90% of the D3 teams.  Marymount is a great place to consider.

Go to a school that you like.  The hoops will take care of itself.   :)

JJKCHS23

Thanks to everyone and there comments.....

P.S. if you know any d3 teams that are looking for a Point guard.....tell me lol or email me at

JJKCHS23@yahoo.com

LogShow

Coaches in D3 are always looking for guys that can play.  I would start by calling the college coaches and trying to set up a meeting with them.  Also game films could be helpful, I might avoid highlight tapes for obvious reasons.  If you want to play, there is a place out there for you.  I think most coaches will atleast let you tryout.  It won't be easy and you will have to earn your way but there are lots of possibilities out there.

GOOD LUCK!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Pick a school you like.  D3 has a variety of talent levels; you could probably catch on somewhere, but it's no use going to a school for basketball.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Being you are in Maryland... you have a LOT of options within three or four hours of where you are. LOTS of teams in that area also need point guards (Goucher comes to mind, but I am bias).

But more importantly, look for schools that actually fit into what you want in life, academics, career, etc. That is what makes D3 special, you can play where you fit in best.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

JJKCHS23

Goucher is really hard to get into though.I applied to albright,washington college,delaware valley,and D youville....Are any of them schools real hard to get onto?

JJKCHS23

Wher do you think i have a better chance of playing at?...Im a 5'6 Point guard with great court vision,A decent jumpshot and a hardworker.I also have good dribbling skills.