NE Region General Questions

Started by d3bballinboston, April 24, 2006, 10:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

d3,

I merged the poll with this board.  It seemed to fit better here than out on its own cluttering things up.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

d3bballinboston

i have also herd rumors of Emerson going to the NEWMAC once their gym is done.. Has anyone else herd any of that?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think Emerson would probably fit well, but I don't see the NEWMAC going to more than 8 teams and Gordon's application is in now.  Unless they have a deal with Emerson already worked out, I think they'll consider GC pretty heavily for entry.

d3bballinboston

i herd it was actually between emerson and gordan already .. not sure what that is all about.  who would the newmac want more?? gordan or emerson?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I wasn't aware Emerson had submitted an application already, but if so, then this summer's meeting will be quite interesting indeed.

Emerson's academic reputation is ahead of Gordon's although, both, in actuality are very good.  Emerson is known mostly for their fine arts.  I don't know whether a niche like that is helpful or not.

Emerson has John Kerry speaking at commencement.  Gordon probably couldn't pull that off.  I doubt GC has the money a school like Emerson or Babson, for example has.  Again, I'm not sure how much this matters, as Gordon has plenty of cash on hand.

Gordon has more sports than Emerson, including Swimming and Women's Field Hockey, as well as indoor and outdoor track.  This probably has more to do with admittance than anything else.  They also have very nice facilities.

The location isn't a huge factor.  Gordon would be the northern and eastern most school in the conference, but its only another 30 mins beyond Emerson.

d3bballinboston

If it is true that Emerson has applied to the NEWMAC, I'd say they are a clear favorite over Gordan.  But I think both of them would be an addition to that league though.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: d3bballinboston on April 26, 2006, 07:45:45 AM
If it is true that Emerson has applied to the NEWMAC, I'd say they are a clear favorite over Gordan.  But I think both of them would be an addition to that league though.

Might the NEWMAC want to go from 10 to 12 women's teams, so they could split into divisions?

That might mean both Emerson and Gordon get in.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 25, 2006, 03:05:51 PMEmerson has John Kerry speaking at commencement.  Gordon probably couldn't pull that off.

From what I know of Gordon, I'm not sure that the school would want John Kerry to speak at commencement.

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 25, 2006, 03:05:51 PMI doubt GC has the money a school like Emerson or Babson, for example has. Again, I'm not sure how much this matters, as Gordon has plenty of cash on hand.

Endowment figures from the latest Peterson's Guide:

Gordon: $30.5m
Emerson: $86.5m
Babson: $179.2m
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

That for making me look silly with the endowments, Sager, although, it was true, Gordon was not in either of their leagues, its just Emerson and Babson weren't in the same league either.

Gordon is a Christian school, but they aren't overly conservative.  There aren't too many schools in Massachusetts who would turn down John Kerry for commencement.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Sager,

Is there a way to get emdowment lists online?  I know petersons.com gives you the ability to search schools individually, but is there a way to see, for example, the biggest endowments, or all the schools in one conference?

Clark Basketball

Clark University Endowment= 225 million

MIT is over a 1 billion

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Coast Guard doesn't have an endowment listed, but I suspect they have plenty of money if they need it.

Springfield doesn't list their's either.  Wheaton's is nine figures.  WPI is 327m.

I guess Emerson fits a little better into that mix, but Gordon's has been growing fast, so you never know.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Hoops Fan on April 26, 2006, 09:44:53 AM

Sager,

Is there a way to get emdowment lists online?  I know petersons.com gives you the ability to search schools individually, but is there a way to see, for example, the biggest endowments, or all the schools in one conference?

I've had a comprehensive list that contained the vast majority of four-year schools' endowments sent to me on a PDF file in the past, but unfortunately it's one of the few useful URLs that I never saved.

I've never seen an online list of endowments by conference. I have easy access to the current endowments of the eight CCIW institutions because Augustana SID Dave Wrath keeps track of them. If you e-mail a conference SID you might be able to get such a list for that particular conference.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I guess I can just look them up one by one.

rjcarter8

Is there anything new on a new New England league?

I'm new to this region's boards, and I know Green Mountain, which I live near, is interested in joining a league. I know Pat made a comment about how Green Mountain didn't have a shot at joining a DIII league because it hadn't played enough NCAA DIII teams, but the school is transitioning. It went from NAIA to DII, then realized it couldn't compete at that level.

GM is a provisional DIII member this year, with way more DIII teams on its schedule than last year.

If anyone knows anything I'd be interested in hearing about it.