MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saratoga

I certainly hope the Royals get around to 'figuring it out', otherwise it will be a long, long year inside & outside of the Long Center.

One place the braintrust might start in their quest to get better is to improve their defense.

If you continually allow teams to shoot 65% from the field, then they won't beat a decent high school team let alone respectable college teams.

Personally, I see this team as addicted to shooting the 3 & rarely have I seen them this year have an organized and well thought out plan of attack to reset the offense when Shank is getting double teamed other than fire away.

From air balls at the free throw line to lazy passes turned into points to wing players not knowing who their covering (hint: it's probably the guy on the wing) there is much to improve upon & the clock is ticking.

I hope I'm wrong but I question whether this team, as they are currently playing are even capable of going on the road and bringing the focus needed to win.

Right now they appear to be leaderless, passionless & lost...qualities not really ever associated with a Scranton team.

If someone wants to emerge as a team leader, now would be the perfect time.

Otherwise, I guess we just wait for Westbrook & Curry to return.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: saratoga on December 06, 2017, 06:15:32 PM

I certainly hope the Royals get around to 'figuring it out', otherwise it will be a long, long year inside & outside of the Long Center.

One place the braintrust might start in their quest to get better is to improve their defense.

If you continually allow teams to shoot 65% from the field, then they won't beat a decent high school team let alone respectable college teams.

Personally, I see this team as addicted to shooting the 3 & rarely have I seen them this year have an organized and well thought out plan of attack to reset the offense when Shank is getting double teamed other than fire away.

From air balls at the free throw line to lazy passes turned into points to wing players not knowing who their covering (hint: it's probably the guy on the wing) there is much to improve upon & the clock is ticking.

I hope I'm wrong but I question whether this team, as they are currently playing are even capable of going on the road and bringing the focus needed to win.

Right now they appear to be leaderless, passionless & lost...qualities not really ever associated with a Scranton team.

If someone wants to emerge as a team leader, now would be the perfect time.

Otherwise, I guess we just wait for Westbrook & Curry to return.

If I am Danzig I tell the team we hit the reset button on 1 January and focus on conference play. Is this what it feels like to be a Goucher fan? Haha. Jk.

We lose Cold Case and the Royals tank; coincidence?
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

YOu have no idea what it feels like to be a Goucher fan. LOL

Last night was insane. Gwynedd Mercy shot 21-26 from the floor and 12 of 16 from 3pt in the first half. They "cooled" off in the second, but tied an SRC record for 17 made threes and shot nearly 65% for the game and beyond the arc. Goucher actually shot reasonably well... but not a chance in the game.

It was crazy!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Scranton fans - I'm watching a couple of games online and I have a question for the Scranton posters. Where the heck are the fans??

The side behind the players/coaches and scorers table might have 20-25 people in the stands at most and the seating behind the one backboard is bare except for the cheerleaders.

Is this typical for non-conference games? I notice this at several schools that don't have football programs...........and don't have 100-125 players in the stands cheering on their buddies (and riding the opponents and refs :) )

Pat Coleman

It might be more likely that it's typical for games before classes resume in January. Generally it takes a while for the fan interest to come around to the basketball season.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ronk

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 12, 2017, 07:20:33 PM
Scranton fans - I'm watching a couple of games online and I have a question for the Scranton posters. Where the heck are the fans??

The side behind the players/coaches and scorers table might have 20-25 people in the stands at most and the seating behind the one backboard is bare except for the cheerleaders.

Is this typical for non-conference games? I notice this at several schools that don't have football programs...........and don't have 100-125 players in the stands cheering on their buddies (and riding the opponents and refs :) )

It's typical for games after the semester is over; it doesn't pick up til after the intersession is over in late January; there's usually a little more support from the non-student community but the sloppy play of the Royals this season is largely responsible for that. On a positive note, one of the missing starters(Mancuso) saw his first action of the season tonight, so that will be a big improvement, although starting from a much lower-than-normal base.

NJBALLERZ

Couple landmark teams traveling to play NJAC teams today. Scranton @ TCNJ and  Drew @ Rutgers Newark. Looking forward to streaming both games today. Lot of d3 hoops today!

daddyhoops

TCNJ gets the W win today vs Scranton
Royals not looking good this season w 2-7 record.
Lions backcourt to quick for Scranton to handle.

ronk

Quote from: daddyhoops on December 16, 2017, 12:17:27 PM
TCNJ gets the W win today vs Scranton
Royals not looking good this season w 2-7 record.
Lions backcourt to quick for Scranton to handle.

Scranton's game plan is to lure the TCNJ ballhandlers with their lack of defensive pressure ::), like offensive linemen do with the rushers, setting up a screen pass; just don't know if the Royals will employ it the whole game or wait til the 2nd half when it will be harder for TCNJ to make the adjustment.

NEPAFAN

How did Scranton get so bad so fast? They aren't even competitive
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

ronk

Quote from: NEPAFAN on December 16, 2017, 03:34:28 PM
How did Scranton get so bad so fast? They aren't even competitive

They used to make up for defensive deficiencies by outshooting the opponent but that's eliminated with all the turnovers now - 21 today against no unusual pressure.  22-38 3-pt attempts will make anyone look bad.

saratoga

In the "modern" era of basketball (1970-present) there have been two prolonged losing streaks at Scranton.

Coming in at #2 is the current 6 game slide and the longest losing streak at the U of S comes in at 10 games back in 2003 during Danzig's third season at the helm.

With the apparent inability or interest in playing defense, especially on the perimeter, I would suggest this years version of a college basketball team may challenge that record.

Watching them play is like going back in time seeing a 1960's team from rural Oklahoma (not Indiana) going up against teams that have actually advanced their style of play to 2017/18.

Three steps too slow & just here to shoot is usually not a recipe for success at any level.

Until this team becomes more athletic and defense is taken seriously, having seasons such as this will become more the rule rather than the exception.

TCNJ is a great school & their coach has brought many of Amherst's trademarks with him to turn that program around.

In an unfortunate sort of way, it was a pleasure to watch them play yesterday...the Royals, not so much.

League play still lies ahead & anything can happen but this team, as currently playing, needs some serious Devine intervention.

NEPAFAN

yes but the shooters haven't changed on this team.
Vince Lombardi

saratoga

Without factoring in heart, hustle & passion (which appear to be absent)....this current version of Royals basketball is also averaging 10 less points per game than last years club & allowing 10 more points.

Clearly not statistics that will have a happy ending for anyone.

ronk

Christmas came early for the Royals today with their best half of ball this season in jumping out to a 17-pt lead in the 1st half and maintaining the good play to the end in downing Ursinus. Everyone seemed to play a step quicker, there was excellent 3-pt shooting(Mitch Cross 7-8; Ethan Danzig becoming the all-time leader in 3s made), 23 assists on 28 FGs, and many good pick-and-rolls. Mancuso added needed athleticism and Chris McCullough came off the injured list with his first action of the season. Truly, a refreshing change from their earlier play!