MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Thanks D3Hoops.com for posting the update on Johnny Di Bartolomeo.

His performance in the postseason was particular impressive:

During the postseason, DiBartolomeo appeared in six games, averaged 19.2 points per game, shot 55.3% from 3-point range, 100% from the free throw line, and added 3.5 rebounds per game and 3.0 assists per game.

It may be worth mentioning that one of his teammates is Amherst graduate Willy Workman.

For the story: http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2016-17/contrib/201706226efqp4

WUPHF

Not basketball, but congratulations to Lizzy Crist who was named the 2017 Division III Honda Athlete of the Year Award, the biggest of many honors she received.

I have seen her play many times over the years, but her most memorable games were the road wins over Messiah in the semifinal in 2015 and the final in 2016.  Both games decided by penalty kicks.

http://washubears.com/sports/wsoc/2016-17/releases/20170626k20inh

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

FYI: https://twitter.com/d3hoopsville/status/891033018017755136

From Hoopsville:
"BREAKING - Sources: W&L to hire Emory asst coach Chris McHugh '09 as next MBB head coach. Official announcement expected next week. #d3h"
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Just my novice opinion, but I always thought Emory had one of the best coached teams I have seen over the last few seasons.  Not surprised to see an Emory assistant moving on.

In other news, Sam Borst-Smith signed with the Dusseldorf Giants.

I think there are at least three former UAA players who played overseas this past season including Johnny Basketball, Will Trawick and David Fatoki. There may be more but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

WUPHF

Emory went to Italy a few weeks ago and destroyed all three of their all-star opponents.

I watched much of the first game and I would say that every UAA team would have won that game.  Junior guard Gebereal Baitey was impressive in that win and averaged over 20 points for the tour.  Baitey looked good during conference play last season.  Junior Beau Bommarito also average 20 or so for the first two games, but I did not see a stat for the final game.

I was down on Emory in my end of season summary, but I made the mistake of overlooking Gebereal Baitey. 

I did a cursory social media review for Emory recruits early this summer and found three including a guy who is one of the more intriguing UAA recruits in my time following the conference.  Romin Williams out of Country Day (LA) reportedly had offers from the University of New Orleans, Tulane, and others.

I thought I had read that he finished with a career 2,300 points, but I cannot find that now, and that is an impossible stat based on the season averages I have seen.  He was the starting guard for all four years and led the team to three state titles.

Matt Schner, Grandview Prep
Finished preps career 111-14, with 2016 state championship (32-0) and four district titles. Averaged 24 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists.

Romin Williams, Country Day

Clay Washburn, Christ Presbyterian Academy
Averaged a team-high 19.3 points and 8.1 rebounds while knocking down 104 3-pointers.

WUPHF

I was inspired by the roster watching of others to see if the Washington University roster had been updated.  There is one addition to mix of upperclassmen and that is Whitman graduate transfer Peter French.

Here are his stats from Whitman:

2015-16: Played in 15 games, earning the starting nod twice at Division III Whitman College ... Averaged 1.6 points in just over eight minutes per game ... Collected 36 rebounds, three assists, seven blocks, and four steals on the season ... Shot .563 from the field and .500 from the line.

2014-15: Appeared in 24 games, averaged 11.5 minutes per game and four rebounds ... scored season high 12 points and grabbed 17 rebounds against Wells (12/21).

2013-14: Played in 13 games, averaged 6.5 minutes per appearance.

In case anyone is keeping track, the Bears will field a 6-9 senior David Schmelter, 6-9 junior Marcus Meyer, 7-0 senior Peter French, 6-5 senior and pre-season all-American Andrew Sanders and 6-7 senior Matt Highsmith with support from a few more 6-7 and 6-8 guys coming off the bench.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUH on October 11, 2017, 03:52:34 PM
I was inspired by the roster watching of others to see if the Washington University roster had been updated.  There is one addition to mix of upperclassmen and that is Whitman graduate transfer Peter French.

Here are his stats from Whitman:

2015-16: Played in 15 games, earning the starting nod twice at Division III Whitman College ... Averaged 1.6 points in just over eight minutes per game ... Collected 36 rebounds, three assists, seven blocks, and four steals on the season ... Shot .563 from the field and .500 from the line.

2014-15: Appeared in 24 games, averaged 11.5 minutes per game and four rebounds ... scored season high 12 points and grabbed 17 rebounds against Wells (12/21).

2013-14: Played in 13 games, averaged 6.5 minutes per appearance.

In case anyone is keeping track, the Bears will field a 6-9 senior David Schmelter, 6-9 junior Marcus Meyer, 7-0 senior Peter French, 6-5 senior and pre-season all-American Andrew Sanders and 6-7 senior Matt Highsmith with support from a few more 6-7 and 6-8 guys coming off the bench.

Do you know anything more about him?  Was he injured last year or just talking time off - google says he was a Physics major - perhaps he needed the study time?
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 12, 2017, 07:18:22 AM
Do you know anything more about him?  Was he injured last year or just talking time off - google says he was a Physics major - perhaps he needed the study time?

I wish I did...

I mentioned this yesterday, but deleted it so as to take a second look at what I wrote.  I do not want to give anyone the impression that I am violating FERPA.  I am just taking my information from the public directory which lists him as an Engineering graduate student. 

I am not sure if he was here last year, but he fits the profile of a student who was admitted to the 3/2/1 program.  Those students often take 18-21 credit hours in the first year and it would have been incredibly difficult to do that and play basketball.  That is my guess.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: WUH on October 12, 2017, 10:39:08 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on October 12, 2017, 07:18:22 AM

I wish I did...

I mentioned this yesterday, but deleted it so as to take a second look at what I wrote.  I do not want to give anyone the impression that I am violating FERPA.  I am just taking my information from the public directory which lists him as an Engineering graduate student. 

I am not sure if he was here last year, but he fits the profile of a student who was admitted to the 3/2/1 program.  Those students often take 18-21 credit hours in the first year and it would have been incredibly difficult to do that and play basketball.  That is my guess.

He would've been a senior at Whitman last year, but Whitman had no seniors on the roster.  I'm hoping to do an early season piece on Whitman.  I'll make sure to ask Coach Bridgeland, even if it's just for personal curiosity.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

WUPHF

Please do...

I still think that Coach Edwards will play David Schmelter 20-25 minutes and Marcus Meyer 15-17 minutes or more per game, but who knows...  He is also going to have to give some minutes to 6-8 sophomore Hank Hunter. 

The only question left for this to answer is where does the three point shooting come from.

The Lopata Classic begins exactly one month from today.

Mr. Mo

For those who have been waiting, looks like Wash U's roster (with newcomers) is up on the website.
http://www.washubears.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/roster

WUPHF

Thanks for posting and welcome to the UAA thread.  Please post anytime...

In addition to the first year players, it looks like they also have a transfer from Division II University of Central Missouri in Louis Reinmiller.

They also have a first year player from Sydney, Australia in Hamish McGregor, though it looks like he played high school basketball at Cranbrook.  Not a lot of press, but he has a very nice highlight video by UAA standards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hVqqxuN5Tc

The University of Chicago has also updated their roster with four first year players: http://athletics.uchicago.edu/sports/mbkb/2017-18/roster

WUPHF

Rochester has also updated their roster: http://uofrathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball

The Yellowjackets need to replace two of the best guards in the league and this may be the guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTVXzXfdi3k

WUPHF

The UAA released a preseason poll for the first time in two years.  I have a few random thoughts.

Washington University is clearly the class of the conference this season.

I had Emory as my No. 5 in my preseason rankings, though in hindsight, that was not right.  There is no way they finish lower than fourth.

I more or less agreed with the coaches on Chicago and Rochester ranking them as No. 2 and 3 while the coaches listed them as No. 3 and 4. 

Emory, Chicago and Rochester will all be in position to finish in second.

I ranked Case as No. 5 while the coaches had them at No. 6.  I'll stand by that for now.

The coaches have NYU as No. 5 though they are working with much more information than I am.  I had them below Carnegie Mellon, though I was wrong about that.

UAA Poll
1. Washington University (7)
2. Emory (1)
3. Chicago
4. Rochester
5. New York
6. Case
7. Carnegie Mellon
8. Brandeis

PS: Congratulations to former Washington University goal keeper Lizzy Crist who won the NCAA national woman of the year award on Sunday.  This may be the highest honor that a college athlete can win.

WUPHF

OK, I get it now...

The youngest UAA team in the history of the league is not only a year older, but they also added four transfers including junior Ethan Feldman from Tufts, junior Jule Brown from Dickinson, sophomore Dom Cristiano from Lafayette (PA) and junior Mario Zimaridis from Lamar Community College.

http://gonyuathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=mbball&

Emory has also updated their roster.  The Eagles may have the best freshmen class on paper.  And, they always seems to have another Jake Davis or Alex Foster on the roster.  Emory will be the first UAA team to play a game this season as they face off against Division I Lipscomb in exhibition play.  That game is scheduled for Friday, November 10th (ESPN3).

http://www.emoryathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/roster