FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robertgoulet

The Athletic actually had a pretty interesting article about this over the summer. Eastern Michigan mentioned.

https://theathletic.com/1070204/2019/07/11/college-football-ncaa-15000-attendance-rule/

"Eastern Michigan receives $280,000 annually from a sponsorship with Pepsi, and according to the school's most recent audit conducted in February, "EMU has the option to direct Pepsi to expend some of these fees to purchase home football game tickets. These tickets may be distributed to community groups identified by Pepsi and EMU. Tickets issued are used to supplement the actual attendance total."

That included Pepsi "buying" at least 10,000 tickets in four of five home games in 2017. In 2016, there were at least 10,000 "groups" tickets in every game."
You win! You always do!

formerd3db

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 27, 2019, 10:30:52 AM
Glass punched two Pitt players in that scuffle, which was two unsportsmanlike penalties and automatic ejection. Dumb way for a guy to end his collegiate football career.

Agree entirely Pat. That will be sad lifetime memory. Also, the other EMU player who was ejected was for spitting on a Pitt player.  Stupid decisions no matter what the emotion and instigating factor. As CC said in the post game comments, absolutely no excuse for those actions. Too bad to have an ending of a great bowl game like that.

I don't recall ever seeing anything like that in DIII-thankfully.🙂

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

MUC57

To all my friends on this board

An Nou Fericit (Happy New Year in Romanian).
We hope for a peaceful, healthy year.
As I always say, Go Everybody! 🎉 🍾 2️⃣0️⃣2️⃣0️⃣
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

formerd3db

I inadvertently posted this over on the NACC board instead of here on the NCAC board (what I get for texting on my cell phone  keyboard which is very small and the NACC board being just above the NCAC board ::) :))  That said, I am re-posting it here as follows:

You folks must be on an extended "recent holiday vacation!" :)  No one has mentioned any reaction to Oberlin's HC Anderson leaving to return to DII Notre Dame College (and one of his assistants going with him there as well.)  Oberlin had some new assistant coaches this past year who joined in 2019.  Do you think they will keep it in house or go for someone outside the program?

Certainly, much change going on in numerous coaching staffs.  The former Notre Dame HC, who had them going far into the DII National Championship Playoffs the last two years (semifinals last year and quarterfinals this year) left to take over DII Lenoir-Ryne in North Carolina and he took 2-3 of his assistants with him.  NDC has done quite well after starting a program from scratch just a few years ago. LR had made the playoffs this year as well.  The LR HC was hired as HC at DI scholarship Mercer University in Georgia and took some of his assistants there (Mercer, which reinstated football back in 2011 after a  many decades absence) after being in the non-scholarship Pioneer League their first year, went full scholarship and play in the conference with The Citadel, Furman, etc. (they lost to NC this year), but fired their HC who had been there since the reinstatement of the program.  They get anywhere from 6,000-10,000+ to their home games.  Anyway, crazy moves in the "Coaching Carousel" all over in every division! I feel sorry for (in some sense) those coaches wives!  Moving every 2-3 years in some cases has to be tough.

Anyway, thought's on Oberlin? (Or these other transactions in the general discussion aspect?)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

smedindy

What Oberlin needs is stability...but I can't blame their HC for bolting to NDC.

wally_wabash

Quote from: smedindy on January 27, 2020, 01:00:24 PM
What Oberlin needs is stability...but I can't blame their HC for bolting to NDC.

Coach Anderson was there as HC for six years and was the program's DC for one season in 2013 prior to that.  Before Anderson, Jeff Ramsey was their HC for 15 seasons.  2 HCs in 21 years is pretty stable.  Oberlin's hurdle is as it always has been- roster size.  Ramsey and Anderson managed to navigate 10 game seasons with varying degrees of success with what I think is at the very bare minimum number of bodies you need to have a varsity level college football program.  Probably below the minimum, actually.  Some of the seasons and individual wins they've produced with 40-ish players is remarkable.  But I can't see how they'll ever shake out of 2-3 wins annually on average until they reinforce their roster. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 27, 2020, 06:12:47 PM

Coach Anderson was there as HC for six years and was the program's DC for one season in 2013 prior to that.  Before Anderson, Jeff Ramsey was their HC for 15 seasons.  2 HCs in 21 years is pretty stable.  Oberlin's hurdle is as it always has been- roster size.  Ramsey and Anderson managed to navigate 10 game seasons with varying degrees of success with what I think is at the very bare minimum number of bodies you need to have a varsity level college football program.  Probably below the minimum, actually.  Some of the seasons and individual wins they've produced with 40-ish players is remarkable.  But I can't see how they'll ever shake out of 2-3 wins annually on average until they reinforce their roster.

Ah, in my haste I forgot about Ramsey's tenure of service.

ohiofan1954

NDC? They have had a great run over the last couple of years and I have enjoyed going to a few games there during that time but have you ever seen their facilities?  Other then Urbana I can't think of one worse and since Heidelberg built their their stadium NDC has the worst football stadium. Must be a big  pay raise to move.

Shamrock

Shamrock

For my fellow Little Giants who find that they need something to do while we flatten the curve, you can watch the progress of the new Little Giant Stadium here:  https://public.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLmq7TzrY396Yd88OKDI5xTmNWkuuuW4RgawYw/wabash_college/camera_1/view_1

formerd3db

Thanks for the photo feed! Great to see the progress! What is even more amazing to me is that they will have it done by the start of the season, correct? If so, that was also aided by the fact that they don't have to our on a new field. I will be looking forward to seeing the finished complex as you all are as well.

Shamrock

We are on schedule to be completed by the home opener on September 5.

Shamrock

Some Wabash recruiting news as we sit in isolation:

According to the LaPorte (IN) Slicer football twitter feed, 6'3 tight end Drew Kubaszyk.

According to the DeKalb High School (IN) twitter feed, 6'3 OL Hoytt Stafford as is Landon Miller a 6'0 RB.

According to his own twitter feed, Jacob Riddle, a 5'8 wideout from Westfield High School (IN).

According to the Meade County High School (PA) twitter feed, Mitchell Dozier a 6'4 wideout.

According to the Garrett High (IN) twitter feed, Cole Bergman, a 5'10 DE.

According to the Terre Haute South (IN) twitter feed, Justin Fish, a 6'2 OL/DL

Clay McPeek, a 6'2 LB from Cascade HS (IN) according to the school's twitter feed.

Finally, Alec Leshore from Bishop Dwenger (IN) a 6'1 DT/DE according to his twitter feed.

Time to do my day job....

sigma one

I recently saw that Ben Cook from Salpointe Catholic in Tucson has "committed" to Wabash.  He is listed at 6-3  240, played offensive guard and defensive end.  Salpointe is one of the top football schools in southern Arizona.