The saddest days of the year

Started by jknezek, December 19, 2011, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Does anyone else find it to be one of the saddest days of the year when the football section on d3boards.com drops down below the winter sports? Seriously, it has to rank in my top 15 or so...

Ralph Turner

There is an old story of Texas High School football from Breckenridge Texas back in the 1950's when the Breckenridge High School Buckaroos were playing "up a classificaiton" and still winning the state championship...

The Buckaroos won the Championship on Saturday December 18, and the old codger wondered what he would be doing that would be as exciting the next weekend.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on December 19, 2011, 06:17:57 PM
Does anyone else find it to be one of the saddest days of the year when the football section on d3boards.com drops down below the winter sports? Seriously, it has to rank in my top 15 or so...

Sorry. :( I hear you.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NCF

YES-it means it's time to get back to work  LOL
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

KitchenSink

But what if we don't want to get back to work???
What the hell was that?  That was a Drop-kick.  Drop-kick? How much is that worth?  Three points.  THREE POINTS?!

02 Warhawk

Quote from: newcardfan on December 19, 2011, 09:50:36 PM

No kidding. I don't know how many times I've been caught - by either my boss/or coworkers - being on the D3football or d3boards website at work over the past six months.

NCF

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 20, 2011, 11:22:25 AM

No kidding. I don't know how many times I've been caught - by either my boss/or coworkers - being on the D3football or d3boards website at work over the past six months.
I hear ya on that-but every look was worth it! hoping 2012 is even more exciting
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

SUADC

Quote from: newcardfan on December 20, 2011, 01:38:19 PM
Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 20, 2011, 11:22:25 AM

I hear ya on that-but every look was worth it! hoping 2012 is even more exciting
'

Fortunately, where I worked 80% of the staff are sports fans and tend to do it themselves from time to time.

wesleydad

the saddest day to me is the return trip from salem.  having been going to games since the first week of september, this will be a tough transition to doing nothing on saturday.  well, at least i have the next 8 months to figure out how and where i will be going next year.  at least i get to check back to see if scheduels have been released so i can work on the travel agenda.  if you know of a good game next year and are within 4 hours of philly, let me know and i will look into coming to your place to watch a game.

02 Warhawk

Now what??

Back to doing things with the family on Saturdays??  :-[

Bash-Dad #84

It is even more sad to me as this was my Sons' last year to play. Not sure what to do with my Saturdays now. :(
CLICK - CLACK

roocru

Quote from: Bash-Dad #84 on December 21, 2011, 04:17:07 PM
It is even more sad to me as this was my Sons' last year to play. Not sure what to do with my Saturdays now. :(

BashDad,
My son graduated in 2004 after playing in the Stagg Bowl.  I have still often attended UMHB games and go watch my alma mater Austin College.  I got hooked on D3 football and have enjoyed it nearly as much since the boy graduated.  I have attended the Stagg Bowl every year but one since he played in it.  It is extra special when he has a weekend when his coaching duties allow him to go with me!

You don't have to give it up!!  ;D
Anything that you ardently desire, vividly imagine, totally believe and enthusiastically pursue will inevitably come to pass !!!

NCF

Quote from: roocru on December 21, 2011, 05:30:24 PM

BashDad,
My son graduated in 2004 after playing in the Stagg Bowl.  I have still often attended UMHB games and go watch my alma mater Austin College.  I got hooked on D3 football and have enjoyed it nearly as much since the boy graduated.  I have attended the Stagg Bowl every year but one since he played in it.  It is extra special when he has a weekend when his coaching duties allow him to go with me!

You don't have to give it up!!  ;D
No,  but it sure is much more fun when you are watching your son and his friends play. My son will be a senior next year and I hope the season does not fly by as fast as this one has.

wesleydad

BashDad, you could be a wacko like me and drive over 3000 miles in one year to watch games that your kid has nothing to do with anymore.  D3 football is fun to me and I still go all over the place to see games.  I have also made many a friend around the east coast that make the travel more fun.  If you have been lucky enough to also do that, then keep going out to watch games.  Roocru is one of the friends that I have been lucky to meet since my son played at Wesley, ending in 2008.  I have not stopped going since then either.  Maybe roocru and I are just 2 really weird people, but I dont think so since I meet up with some folk from Bridgewater each year and they are just as crazy.

K-Mack

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on December 21, 2011, 03:20:48 PM
Now what??

Back to doing things with the family on Saturdays??  :-[

That's why I like how the season ends around the holidays, so you enjoy spending time with the family and don't miss the football as much.

January is when it really hits.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.