WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TUAngola

Good luck today Trine U!!

Flying Dutch Fan

Hope women are hosting!!!!!
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Roundball999

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on February 29, 2016, 02:43:14 PM
Hope women are hosting!!!!!

Hope plays Carnegie Mellon in the first round.  The only common opponent this year was Bethany, WV.  CMU won December 7th at Bethany 70-57 with top 6 players in the CMU rotation all playing 27 or more minutes.  Hope hosted Bethany on November 21 and blew them out 102-44 with no starter playing more than 17 minutes and all 13 on the roster playing at least 10 minutes.

Based on this one game it would be easy to assume Hope could win comfortably.  However CMU plays in the UAA, arguably the top league in the country, and has had tough games virtually every night during their conference season.  I expect them to play Hope tough.  Plus they boast 6' 1" F/C Lisa Murphy who led the nation in FG % at 75%  (!!!!) and averaged 23/11.  Could be a real headache especially if McAfee gets into foul trouble.

Flying Dutch Fan

Stat comparison of Hope & Carnegie Mellon.  Side note - the largest crowd CM has played in front of this year was 515, so hat they encounter on Friday night could be a bit intimidating.

Offense     % 2pt   % 3pt      % FT
Hope     46.7   33.7      67.7
Carnegie Mellon     51.3   32.6      73.3

Defense     % 2pt   % 3pt     
Hope     36.6   28.5     
Carnegie Mellon     35.9   33.6     

Rebounding     Team   Opp      Margin
Hope     47.4   34.7      12.7
Carnegie Mellon     47   34.2      12.8

Scoring     Team   Opp      Margin
Hope     80.3   52.9      27.4
Carnegie Mellon     75.6   64.3      11.3

3 point shooting     Attempts   Made      Made/game
Hope     495   167      6.2
Carnegie Mellon     377   123      4.9

Blocks     Total   per game     
Hope     101   3.7     
Carnegie Mellon     165   6.6     

Steals     Total   per game     
Hope     364   13.5     
Carnegie Mellon     140   5.6     

Turnovers     Total    per game     
Hope     399   14.8     
Carnegie Mellon     448   17.9     

Assists     Total   per game     
Hope     442   16.4     
Carnegie Mellon     444   17.8     

Assist/Turnover             
Hope     1.11        
Carnegie Mellon     0.99        

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

goodknight

Flying Dutch Fan

Sad to have such a heartbreaking loss end such a good season by the Dutch.  Maura and Autumn end their careers at Hope with a pretty special 4 years, accumulating a record of 108-10.  Maura's name will be in the career top10 record books for a long time:

#3 in Points (1409)
#2 in FG Made (566)
#3 in FG Attempts (1145)
#3 (tied ) in FT Made (268)
#7 in FT Attempts (375)
#1 in Total Rebounds (1047)
#1 in Def Rebounds (682)
#3 in Off Rebounds (365)
#2 in Blocks (166)
#3 (tied) in Steals (222)

And 44 career double-doubles

John Wooden

goodknight

almcguirejr

Calvin's women's head basketball coach, John Ross, has decided to step down:

http://www.calvinknights.com/sports/wbkb/2015-16/releases/20160308njf1pa

Flying Dutch Fan

All-Region teams have been announced.

Maura McAfee, Hope - 1st team
Anna Timmer, Calvin - 2nd team
Bre Luurtsema, Calvin - 3rd team

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2015-16/index

John Wooden

goodknight

bballforever

Any update on the search for a new Calvin women's bbal coach?

sac

Calvin's new women's coach
http://calvinknights.com/sports/wbkb/2015-16/releases/20160519l2e00l

I am probably going to call him "Babe" by accident a few dozen times.

gordonmann

He's a good program builder and did a nice job at Hendrix and Millsaps. It doesn't sound like he has any connection to that area, though. Will that impact Calvin's recruiting?

By the way, Millsaps played at the D3hoops.com Classic last year, but was probably gone before the Calvin men arrived. Here's our recorded interview with Calvin's new head coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JfbDNjHaRw

oldknight

Quote from: gordonmann on May 19, 2016, 05:20:27 PM
He's a good program builder and did a nice job at Hendrix and Millsaps. It doesn't sound like he has any connection to that area, though. Will that impact Calvin's recruiting?

By the way, Millsaps played at the D3hoops.com Classic last year, but was probably gone before the Calvin men arrived. Here's our recorded interview with Calvin's new head coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JfbDNjHaRw

Winkelman has no Calvin connection at all, but it seems unlikely to me that recruiting to the school will be a problem. John Ross had no previous connection to Calvin either. Winkelman is a very experienced D3 coach with a great resume and moved to the head of a very large class to win the job. Over 100 applications were received and while many of them undoubtedly weren't worth looking at, that kind of interest tells me there were plenty of good choices. Given that AD Jim Timmer was involved in the hiring process and has a daughter who will play for the new coach, I have to believe this is a great hire.

sac

sac

TUAngola

Trine's WBB 2016-17 roster:

http://www.trinethunder.com/sports/wbkb/2016-17/roster

Return 4 starters from MIAA tournament runners up last year:

Hayley Martin - 2nd team MIAA
Brandi Dawson - 2nd team MIAA
Taylor Cole
Ashley Elliott

Shelby Oldham, Montana Martin, and Cassidy Williams all played a lot last year as freshmen.

6 newcomers to the roster, 3 transfers and 3 freshmen.  I've seen Tashayla Sutorious play a couple times in Fort Wayne against my niece's team.  She can hoop!  I think she had at one time committed to Chicago State.  Kayla Freeman, I've seen some videos, pretty impressive.  And I've heard good reports about Katy Steers. 

Should be a deep team, maybe one that can break up the Hope/Calvin domination this year?  Can't wait to see them play, along with the Trine MBB team.  Exciting things happening at Trine U.