MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Show

Sometimes you're the windshield...sometimes you're the bug.

Once again, good luck!

navy&gold

The Show -  

People in the Northwest don't get the windshield/bug analogy.  I lived in Seattle for a summer a couple years ago. Some of the people who worked for me had played a video game once where you race a car through Iowa and the windshield gets covered by bugs... they didn't believe this actually happened.

On the IIAC page, Curtis Patching said something about the referees letting the players decide the game.  I wasn't there so I don't know how bad it actually was, but I think you'd have a different view if your team had 5 players in foul trouble and 3 of those players foul out.  All I can say is ... deja vu!!!

And, it's a good thing I wasn't there or I probably would have gotten booted.

Old School

Wanna get a bite to eat prior to the game in Stevens Point?  

Hilltop Pub and Grill (right when you come in on HWY 10 (just after Interstate 39 intersection)  

Guu's Tavern and Grill-downtown on Main St.  

Ella's Resturant-just west of Quandt Fieldhouse (on Division St., aka Business 51).  

Springville Wharf-off the beaten path, but well worth it. More into Plover (south of SP).  

Michele's Restaurant and Catering-for the upper class fans :-). reservations appreciated. On Division St., just north of Ella's.  

Hibachi Joe's-Chinese & Japanese Cuisine  

Red Mill Supper Club-Westside, going out of town on HWY 10. Nice place to eat, but not as upscale as Michele's.  

Bill's Pizza Shop-on Main St. downtown, near Guu's, right near Hibachi Joe's.  

I'm sure other Pointer fans and Point natives could help out, if you ask nicely. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Point Special

And for anyone looking for lodging, here are the options in Stevens Point.  I'd get something soon, because there is a lot going on in town next weekend.

http://www.spacvb.com/lodging.html" target=_top>http://www.spacvb.com/lodging.html

Curtis Patching

Old School
I have been mulling this over and I decided to just ask...is there really a place called 'Hibachi Joe's' in Wisconsin?  I need to know if I have to pack my hibachi for the trip.
Navy&Gold
We also had key players in foul trouble, thats why one of our key players (McVey) only played 14 minutes.  And guys who usually average maybe 8 minutes had to come up huge.
I look forward to the rematch with a different outcome.
GO LOGGERS!!!

Old School

wildcat1144

Old School,

I was in Stevens Point during the fall and I find it hard to believe that any restaurant in S.P. would take "reservations".  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Point Special

The outside of Michelle's is very unassuming, but, fortunately for many a fine dining establishment, it's the food that matters, not the decor.  Michelle's is one of two quite exquisite cuisine choices in Stevens Point.  The other is the Silver Coach, on 10, heading west out of town (actually, I think it's in Park Ridge, a "suburb" if you will, of SP).  The restaurant is in an old passenger rail car.

oldpa

I went to Stevens Point this winter. I had reservations, but I went anyway.

Old School

Traveling Fans' Itinerary Should Be:

1. Go tour the POINT (BEER) BREWERY Friday early afternoon.

2. Depending on your taste, eat at one of the fine establishments listed above.
2a.  Hilltop Pub has a great fishfry (come on, it's Wisconsin), as does Guu's on Main.
2b. Springville Wharf has great cheese bread.  
2c. Bill's Pizza has great, well, pizza.

3. Go to Belt's Ice Cream for dessert.  We're not talking McDonald's quality ice cream here.  It just opened last Friday and it's been a tradition to camp out the night before to be the first in line.  Great ice cream, sundaes, flurries etc.

4. After the game, head down to The Final Score to celebrate or drink your sorrows away.  It's a nice "sports bar" and a lot of fans head down there after and prior to the game.  There is a big screen tv, among other tvs and plenty of room. They also serve good food there, you could eat there and then go to Belts!

blackhawks#4

Wildcat:  Very clever, you're a lot more fun on this page than the fox guys who just roll over and die or get defensive.  If you keep it up I'm gonna have to stick Curtis Patching on you.  

What a win it would be for UPS at Stevens Point. The team who knocked UPS out last year, the defending NCAA champs who didn't lose anybody (except pg to injury which could be a huge factor) and at their place! Don't be mistaken, UPS is a better team this year than last year.  They are more careful with their pressure, have another year of learning the system, and dominating posts.  Look for UPS to be well prepared for Stevens Point, and don't think anybody has forgotten last year.

wildcat1144

Blackhawks,

My "inside" sources tell me different about UPS being better this year.  He says that UPS was better last year because of the better outside shooting (mainly you) that is now gone.

No matter, I'll be pulling for your dad and his boys to knock out the Pointers.  A victory over the number 1 DIII team will look great on Bridgelands resume for when he's looking for higher level jobs.  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

Old School

Any of you posters coming to Wisconsin?  Be cool to meet some of those Northwesterners!

Old School

Just kind of curious what kind of crowd we are expecting from the UPS fans this weekend.  Is UPS basketball a big attraction?  Someone posted in another board that in last year's sectional semi-final game, the attendence was only 1809 or so.  That seems a bit small considering YOU are hosting it.  I saw that your gym holds 4500!  I looked at last year's attendence marks and UPS averaged just under 800.  Doesn't seem like the atmosphere would be too electrifying with such an empty looking gym.  Looks like Pacific Lutheran and Linfield (both over 2000) had good followings.

Granted the 1800 you got at the Point game was the biggest draw for a home game, but I guess I thought there would be more.  Apparently no one wanted to see the sectional championship since only 245 fans showed up.  Granted, it's two teams that you don't care about, but still, it's a sectional championship in the national tourney, guaranteed to be good basketball and of course ended up that way, a one-point overtime thriller.

This year, your attendence jumped 200 fans.  So, are we expecting UPS to fill their 400 tickets they get?

hoops

For those coming into Point this weekend a couple of other eating places for you would be...
1) the sportplate restaurant at Sentryworld...
2) The Restaurant in the sentry insurance headquarters...
3) Pagliacci's in the same location
4) Tokyo Steakhouse (they do the cooking etc right in front of you)
5) Mickeys (pizza, steak and some Italian)

for those heading out for fun after the game it's either the Final Score or "the square" which is a group of about 11 bars all within a block of each other but please be aware of drinking and driving, our officers will be there