Best DIII Stadiums

Started by hazzben, July 19, 2013, 02:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO

University of Northwestern - St. Paul is breaking ground on the new Reynolds field in 9 months.

Softball no longer shares its outfield with football and they threw in some tennis courts in roughly the same area as the previous configuration.  Baseball home runs are also given a much better chance of landing on cars in the parking lot.  From what I've heard they're going to attempt to use the football press box for all 3 fields.

Pat Coleman

Rendering looks nice. I like the possibility of a football game or practice going on as someone enters campus, as that's a lot of traffic going past.

I don't think the press box scenario works as you describe it and as it's drawn, but with a little added box in the upper right corner of the stands as we see them here, it might suffice.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AO

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 25, 2013, 09:53:24 AM
Rendering looks nice. I like the possibility of a football game or practice going on as someone enters campus, as that's a lot of traffic going past.

I don't think the press box scenario works as you describe it and as it's drawn, but with a little added box in the upper right corner of the stands as we see them here, it might suffice.
If they're going to add another press box for baseball, I'd guess they'd just put it on top of one of the dugouts.  I would bet they keep just using tables behind the backstop for radio/scoreboard operator.

Just Bill

Reminds me of the set up at Benedictine (Ill.). They have the occasional problem of fouls balls dropping on the heads of track and lacrosse fans in the spring, so I'd recommend some big nets!
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Bombers798891

If the D-III stadium project ever becomes a part of this site, I have a request:

Please, please, please
include information on handicap accessibility. I'm not saying every little detail, but if there's designated handicapped seating at some stadiums (I know there is at Fisher), knowing that would be huge. Also, at some stadiums, *cough Ithaca cough* only the home side of the stadium would even be possible for someone in a wheelchair (Hey, let's put the visiting stands on top of a building!) Just giving people those two basic components would go a long way to making sure they were prepared before heading to a game at an unfamiliar stadium.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Bombers798891 on July 26, 2013, 11:45:56 AM
If the D-III stadium project ever becomes a part of this site, I have a request:

Please, please, please
include information on handicap accessibility. I'm not saying every little detail, but if there's designated handicapped seating at some stadiums (I know there is at Fisher), knowing that would be huge. Also, at some stadiums, *cough Ithaca cough* only the home side of the stadium would even be possible for someone in a wheelchair (Hey, let's put the visiting stands on top of a building!) Just giving people those two basic components would go a long way to making sure they were prepared before heading to a game at an unfamiliar stadium.

As long as they are in compliance with the Americans with Disability Act.  http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleIII_2010/titleIII_2010_regulations.htm

Bombers798891

Quote from: D3MAFAN on July 26, 2013, 12:36:13 PM

Please, please, please

As long as they are in compliance with the Americans with Disability Act.  http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleIII_2010/titleIII_2010_regulations.htm

One of these days, someone will actually say "What can we do to actually make life easier for people who are handicapped?" without using "We're in compliance with the law!" as a shield. Being in compliance with the law does not mean it is accessible. While institutions and organizations hide behind the law, handicapped people are mostly concerned with actually being able to get around in a society that's not in any way built for them.

Seriously, have you ever been to Butterfield? Try pushing a wheelchair up that hill (even better, try it in the snow). Try to find a place to sit that doesn't put that chair in the middle of a walkway—good luck, the bleachers don't have railings to walk up. Which means if you're a handicapped member of the media, you better find someone to help you into that press box. Have fun trying to control going down that steep hill after the game. It's all kinds of fun. And they might as well have a "no cripples allowed" sign when Cortaca rolls around.

The ADA is great (Thanks, Ted Kennedy). But able-bodied people should realize that quite often, it's toothless and unhelpful.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Bombers798891 on July 26, 2013, 04:26:42 PM

Please, please, please

One of these days, someone will actually say "What can we do to actually make life easier for people who are handicapped?" without using "We're in compliance with the law!" as a shield. Being in compliance with the law does not mean it is accessible. While institutions and organizations hide behind the law, handicapped people are mostly concerned with actually being able to get around in a society that's not in any way built for them.

Seriously, have you ever been to Butterfield? Try pushing a wheelchair up that hill (even better, try it in the snow). Try to find a place to sit that doesn't put that chair in the middle of a walkway—good luck, the bleachers don't have railings to walk up. Which means if you're a handicapped member of the media, you better find someone to help you into that press box. Have fun trying to control going down that steep hill after the game. It's all kinds of fun. And they might as well have a "no cripples allowed" sign when Cortaca rolls around.

The ADA is great (Thanks, Ted Kennedy). But able-bodied people should realize that quite often, it's toothless and unhelpful.

Bombers you can actually file a complaint and there are many organizations that would be glad to assist. Regarding Butterfield, I believe if you call in advance, they should be able to accomodate persons with disabilities, by maybe using a cart instead of expecting a person to push.

Bombers798891

Quote from: D3MAFAN on July 26, 2013, 04:47:48 PM
Quote from: Bombers798891 on July 26, 2013, 04:26:42 PM

Please, please, please

Bombers you can actually file a complaint and there are many organizations that would be glad to assist. Regarding Butterfield, I believe if you call in advance, they should be able to accomodate persons with disabilities, by maybe using a cart instead of expecting a person to push.

The problem/point is, most of these places aren't in violation, because they were grandfathered in. So complaining is useless, because they're not in violation of the law there's nothing compelling them to change without being in violation of the law. If you don't believe me, give it a shot sometime.

I've been going to Butterfield since 1988. I'm aware of how to get around there and who to call. But I bet most people aren't. Having this information out there, instead of making the disabled person hunt for it, would be useful. How would somebody visiting Ithaca for the first time know who to call to ask for help? How would they know what to ask?

At the end of the day, my frustration is that it's always on the disabled person to do the legwork (pun intended). Ask what services are available. Ask what can be done to help them. Go digging for information that should be readily available. We had a president in a wheelchair and it took 45 years after he died to get federal protection for people with disabilities. And 23 years after that, it's still insanely hard to find a place to live, or get around using public transportation in lots of cities. And it pisses me off (this isn't personal to you) when people say "Well, we're in compliance" and "Well, we'd be willing to help you if you'd ask."

I could tell your horror stories about my time on Ithaca's campus that would blow your mind. And I knew exactly what to expect, who to talk to, what to ask, AND had an influential member of the administration in my corner. Some Salisbury fan trying to make the trip up from Maryland might not know where to start.

I guess this rant probably distracts from my point (sorry). It's a sensitive subject

jknezek

Bombers you have to realize that according to Disability Statistics website at Cornell University less than 6% of people from 18 to 65 in the U.S. are ambulatory disabled. That means that most people just don't come into contact with people affected by the situation everyday. So when you are designing a website, if its not something you are used to dealing with, it just isn't going to be thought about to include that information. Now I just spent the better part of 15 minutes looking for the info on W&L's website and didn't find any, but the next time I get an alumni survey asking how they can improve the site, I'll send it in as a comment because it probably should be there. But until I read your post, it never would have crossed my mind, and I'm sure it hasn't crossed too many people at the university's either.

It isn't a slight, or even a desire to make something better or worse, its just an understandable oversight. If there is a condition that affects only a small percentage of people, then it is primarily going to fall on those people to do the legwork to figure it out. But I know a lot of schools and companies go out of their way to help disabled students and visitors when they know the situation is coming. When I was a student at W&L I shuttled around disabled alumni as part of a fleet of golf carts made available on alumni weekends, especially when we had a large response from 5 Star Generals (50 year+ reunions). But if someone just showed up on campus, with no warning, and wanted immediate assistance, it wasn't always available.

I certainly understand your point, but I definitely understand why information with such a limited audience, isn't as readily available as it could be.

Bombers798891

Quote from: jknezek on July 26, 2013, 08:26:06 PM
Bombers you have to realize that according to Disability Statistics website at Cornell University less than 6% of people from 18 to 65 in the U.S. are ambulatory disabled. That means that most people just don't come into contact with people affected by the situation everyday. So when you are designing a website, if its not something you are used to dealing with, it just isn't going to be thought about to include that information. Now I just spent the better part of 15 minutes looking for the info on W&L's website and didn't find any, but the next time I get an alumni survey asking how they can improve the site, I'll send it in as a comment because it probably should be there. But until I read your post, it never would have crossed my mind, and I'm sure it hasn't crossed too many people at the university's either.

It isn't a slight, or even a desire to make something better or worse, its just an understandable oversight. If there is a condition that affects only a small percentage of people, then it is primarily going to fall on those people to do the legwork to figure it out. But I know a lot of schools and companies go out of their way to help disabled students and visitors when they know the situation is coming. When I was a student at W&L I shuttled around disabled alumni as part of a fleet of golf carts made available on alumni weekends, especially when we had a large response from 5 Star Generals (50 year+ reunions). But if someone just showed up on campus, with no warning, and wanted immediate assistance, it wasn't always available.

I certainly understand your point, but I definitely understand why information with such a limited audience, isn't as readily available as it could be.

According to the census.gov report of 2012: "Roughly 30.6 million individuals aged 15 years and older (12.6 percent) had limitations associated with ambulatory activities of the lower body including difficulty walking, climbing stairs, or using a wheelchair, cane, crutches, or walker."

But that's just a snapshot, a moment in time. As we age, you know what happens? You're part of the 88-94% who are able bodied now, but you should care about this, because one day, it's going to be your parent, brother, or yourself who might need a wheelchair or a walker.

At the end of the day, there's a reason we have legislation for new buildings. Because there is a large number of us. The reason older buildings aren't required to be accessible has nothing to do with the size of the population they would be accommodating. It's simply because doing so is costly, especially for small businesses. Which is of course understandable. But you couldn't build something new and not make it accessible under the logic of "Well, there just aren't that many disabled people." So there's no reason to accept that logic for older buildings either.

But here's something you need to remember: We're talking about sports. Sports is becoming more and more inclusive to all segments of the population, but it's still largely the domain of the able-bodied, the healthy, the strong. There's nothing wrong with that of course, but for someone growing up disabled, it's not hard to feel that sports isn't for you to enjoy. When you're in school, you get put in special gym classes. You don't see the disabled athletes discussed on the media, providing someone to look up to.

Making a stadium accessible or even just giving information about how you can enjoy it, it's like saying "Yeah, you're welcome here too." No person should have to go looking for, or asking for that.

Again, sorry I hijacked the topic.

HScoach

Quote from: Bombers798891 on July 26, 2013, 10:36:00 PM

According to the census.gov report of 2012: "Roughly 30.6 million individuals aged 15 years and older (12.6 percent) had limitations associated with ambulatory activities of the lower body including difficulty walking, climbing stairs, or using a wheelchair, cane, crutches, or walker."

I realize this is way off topic and very politically incorrect, but judging simply from what I see on a daily basis in everyday life, being fat & lazy shouldn't warrant a great parking spot at the local Wal-Mart.   Providing ADA access for those that truly need it is great, but I can't stand seeing the people that take advantage of it. 

The engineering company I work at is 450+ people spread out over 5 floors of 3 adjacent buildings in a large downtown complex.   Our office courier, whose sole job is to walk around and deliver the inter-office mail as well as delivering local packages, is a lady with a handicap parking permit.  She parks in the 1st handicap spot right next to the building every morning and then spends 8 hours walking all over the office and beyond, to exit each afternoon to her 1st spot in the lot.      Doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry.  Rant done. 
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

HScoach

Back on topic, around the OAC I think the best pure stadium is Baldwin Wallace now that they've finally joined the 21st century and got rid of the concrete field painted green to look like grass.   The stands are elevated and pretty close, sight lines are good and it's the biggest stadium in the conference.   The pressbox is a little antiquated, but spacious and functional.   Best place to watch a game in the OAC if the crowd is big with the students sitting on the end zone hill.   Looks empty and cold if the attendance is down.   Mount has had some great night games at BW last decade when BW was really good.   

Most visually pleasing setting in the conference is Muskingum, especially in the fall with trees and hills.  Stadium itself is old and less than average, but the walk to the stadium and view around the stadium from the seats is great.   Unfortunately for the Musky faithful is the view of what occurs on the field doesn't match the view around it.

Mount Union has by far the best pressbox in the conference and the stadium itself is very nice and well kept, but little sets it apart from the other nice D3 stadiums except for the 11 championship banners hanging from the light towers and the team.   The roof over the home stands is well received when the weather sucks, but the support columns block site lines which are a pain when the weather is nice.   And the bleachers are too low so the players on the side lines block the view of the first couple rows.   Overall it's a nice stadium and with great surrounding facilities, I just doubt it's cream of the crop on a national scale.

John Carroll, Ohio Northern and Otterbein all have new facilities, but in my opinion they all lack something that detracts from the overall.   JCU has a beautiful campus and stadium if you look only at the home side.  Away side looks like 1950.   And their pressbox, while fancy, is just one huge room that everyone is thrown into.   PA announcer and multiple radio crews within feet of each other doesn't work.   

Otterbein's stadium is only one sided and while the pressbox is pretty well laid out, the PA sound system is so loud it's impossible to broadcast a game from there.   Without a crowd mic and with the box windows closed, the PA guy is so loud he still comes thru our headset mics and drowns us out.  Very annoying for us in the box.  And painful for those sitting in the stands.   Even with Otterbein having the best coeds in the conference, it's still easily my least favorite place in the OAC simply because of the PA system.   One of these years I'm going take wire cutters with me.......

Ohio Northern is new, but it's located in the wasteland of NW Ohio with nothing around it.  What makes ONU seem better is our memory of the dump they used to play in.   How Coach Kaz recruited Robertson, Franzer and Vagedas to Ada in the late 1990's to play in their old stadium is beyond me.   
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

doolittledog

2 stadiums with great views in the Iowa Conference, are 2 of the oldest stadiums in the conference. 

The Rock Bowl at Loras recently went through a major renovation though.  The stadium is built into a rock cliff right in the middle of the Loras campus and sits on the bluff that overlooks the downtown portion of the city of Dubuque.  Pictures really don't do the place justice.  While not the biggest stadium you will ever see, and the visitor side is just 3 roll away bleacher stands, it's a great place to catch a game. 

Carlson Stadium at Luther College overlooks the Upper Iowa River and gives you a great view of fall leaves in October.  Huge main stand with the student union at the top.  Not much visitor side seating, but with the main stand so large most of the visiting fans sit on the home side.

JahEazy

Not saying it's the best, but it's pretty new. Pacific University's Lincoln Park Stadium in Forest Grove, Ore. I mean they hosted DI Big Sky Track & Field conference championships this past season so that's gotta be saying something, right? No?