BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whatagame

You're probably right Teddy, I was just riffin' on the drubbing Chapman took from UTD yesterday (and almost losing to Cal Tech last season, trailing in the latter innings...) I suppose. However, given their geography, size of enrollment, breadth of programs - particularly popular business-related programs, admission stats that are solid, but not overly selective (more merit $ available to lower stats) Chapman should be a consistent powerhouse?  Hopefully they'll return to that status soon.

Striker

Chapman needs to take a look at what is happening to their program. Coach is known thru the league as a big whiner. Can't be good in the dugout. They've got some great talent, looks like weak leadership.

Bishopleftiesdad

Striker,  your first post and did it have to be negative? Welcome to the board. I look forward to your contributions.

Striker

Thanks for the welcome. Just an old time Coach T fan frustrated with the direction of the program.

Bishopleftiesdad

I can understand your frustration. But I would not envy the coach that had to follow Coach T.

NWBaseballFan10

I can't speak to the leadership differences between Coach T and Coach Laverty, but I had the opportunity to watch some of Chapman's opening series last week against ETBU and my initial thoughts were the 2016 squad looks a lot different than previous years (especially in terms of makeup and moxie). Offensively, I was impressed with their depth and physicality especially for being a pretty young ball club. The pitching staff, however, is night and day different than what we've seen in past years from the Panthers. In terms of "stuff" they have a fair amount of talent, but each guy they ran out to the mound looked like a deer in headlights. Too many guys looked like they were trying to "find their game" in the midst of it and the lack of command issues are going to be a playoff killer for this team if they can't get it fixed. As a team overall, they seemed "flat" (which may be a reflection of the leadership??).

I hope to watch quite a few more games this spring and catch a lot more SCIAC action as well. I'll admit the style of play is drastically different between those here in So Cal and those up in the NW. I'm not used to seeing so many crooked numbers on the scoreboard especially this early in the season! :o

purplefan

SCIAC league play starts next week.  Predictions anyone? ???

Whittier-Redlands   Redlands 2-1
Oxy-Chapman         Oxy 2-1
Pomona-CMS          Pomona 3-0
LaVeren-Caltech      LaVern 3-0

Mr. Ypsi

Careful, guys.  Have you seen what Caltech is doing in men's basketball.  It may be "Revenge of the Nerds". :o ;D

Knowing absolutely nothing about the staff or players, I'm gonna predict that Caltech wins THREE games this year (though I have no clue against whom).

Appalachian Mtns

http://www.gocaltech.com/sports/bsb/2015-16/releases/2016021509kriv

Always great to win on opening day.  So proud of him and his teammates competing against all odds versus teams with twice as many rostered players (and I think, athletic scholarships like this NAIA opponent) while always keeping their number one priority on one of the toughest academic environments.  They won't win many in the tough D3 SCIAC conference but proud of all them for competing and making opponents earn it this year.  So awesome listening to your son come to bat with John Denver's Country Roads being played over the speakers in So CA.  The upperclassmen choose the freshmens' walkout song and we were concerned he might be walking out to a banjo duel from Deliverance. 😊

Bishopleftiesdad

Congratulations to your son. It is very special to get into a school like Cal-Tech. And it is always good to get a win on opening day.

Appalachian Mtns

Thank you BLD.  Yes, my son thought it was the perfect fit, loved the coach and players, and felt the love in return, and just too good of an opportunity to turn down in favor of other D3 opportunities closer to home.  I suspect a couple SCIAC teams will be in a dogfight or two this year to keep from being the first victim.  The recruiting efforts of Coach Mark are paying off.  I firmly believe the Beavers will be more competitive each and every year.

Good luck to yours and OWU.  It is always a pleasure reading your knowledgeable posts on various regions and programs.

Bishopleftiesdad

Thanks,
Son's college career is over. He had a good run. I have high hopes for OWU this year.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Striker on February 13, 2016, 06:53:50 PM
Chapman needs to take a look at what is happening to their program. Coach is known thru the league as a big whiner. Can't be good in the dugout. They've got some great talent, looks like weak leadership.

My only ejection as a college coach happened against Coach Laverty... and he fully backed me (ump was terrible both ways and really changed the game). Laverty was tossed an inning after I was and we spent the rest of the game talking and watching from a parking lot together.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Purple Heys

What happened to theSCIAC.org folks running that page.  Did the shutter the doors and turn off the lights on Jan. 1? 
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

Quote from: purplefan on February 14, 2016, 10:03:05 PM
SCIAC league play starts next week.  Predictions anyone? ???

Whittier-Redlands   Redlands 2-1
Oxy-Chapman         Oxy 2-1
Pomona-CMS          Pomona 3-0
LaVeren-Caltech      LaVern 3-0

Not ready to touch this...way too early.  But P-P's start looks impressive, Redlands and La Verne have some quality wins.  I think that Whittier, in 2 of 3 contests against a pretty good Whitworth squad, shows some promise.

I don't have a good read on Cal Lu, Oxy, Chapman, or CMS yet.  And Cal Tech has nowhere but up to go.

Going to be an interesting year.

Can't wait to see how this weekend plays itself out.

You can't leave me....all the plants will die.