WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Lurker,

As I posted above, I'm aware that IWU won the tourney just a couple of years ago.

But there ARE two powers, and being a VERY recent follower of the women's board, I'm wondering whether this (2 powers) is likely to be the norm?  Afterall, until this year, the CCIW didn't even have a team in the Final Four in 20 years!

Clearly the CCIW is not the power in the women's game that it is in the men's.  Also, clearly, we do have two teams threatening to join the 'perpetual' elite (aka, become honorary 'down-easters'!)  

My question remains 'will the overall conference join the elite'?

True Basketball Fan

Joining late.....................

Elmhurst showed promise last year and looks to be tough again with all of the starters back, but it is probably short-lived.  I couldn't include them in the upper group, not just yet.  North Central, Illinois Wesleyan, and Carthage are still fluttering around, and North Park and Augie are just plain awful.  It will probably continue for a least the next several years to be a two team race, not just for the CCIW title but for the national one as well.

TitanPride24

IWU has a huge incoming class of girls and i've heard good things about a new freshman that might crack the starting line-up at point guard, replacing 3-year starter Hannah Meharry.
It should be a good season for the Titans, hopefully fewer injuries and a junior varsity program that will help the younger players get some playing time and experience.

Mr. Ypsi

TP24,

Ah, finally the sort of information that I (400 miles removed!) have been seeking!

Do you get the sense that they are a legitimate threat to the domination of Millikin and Wheaton, or just perhaps 'best of the rest'?  (Or, perhaps, a threat, but not for a year or two?)

Since Millikin and Wheaton are returning nearly everyone of signifcance, I'm GUESSING that the Titan threat (assuming it exists) is for the future rather than this season - comments?

TitanPride24

Not only are MU and Wheaton returning almost everyone, but the Titans only lose one Senior, Hannah as I mentioned eariler. Their senior class this year is extremely talented and deep, with starters Katie Blonn, Amanda Glerum, Val Fleishman, and All-CCIW Heidi Harnisch. This team is very similar to the Titan men's team, very loaded with senior talent.  This is definitely their best chance to win the CCIW, IMO.

I was at the Millikin game at Millikin when they took the national champs into overtime with an injured Heidi Harnisch and Amanda Glerum.  That was definitely a game they could have easily won.  And I was at there when they beat Wheaton, a team they had lost to by 30 points twice, at the CCIW tourney.

This team definitely has the talent, leadership, and depth to be considered a legitimate threat this year.

Mr. Ypsi

Thanks!

I'll look forward then to at least a THREE-team race!  :)

Although I suspect the final outcome will be Millikin, then Wheaton, then (hopefully) IWU.

True Basketball Fan

I guess it's a race for the 4th and final playoff spot, or warmup semifinal game for Millikin, however you want to put it.  I'm predicting it will come down to another late game (Elmhurst vs. NC) to decide who gets whacked in Decatur.

True Basketball Fan

Not that anybody cares, but the battle for last place will be Augie and NP.  If they split against eachother, there will be a tie for last at 1-13.

coachjensen

How is NCC going to look this year?

True Basketball Fan

They should be better this year, as they have basically have everybody returning.  The problem is, I still don't think it is enough to crack the Big 3 (Millikin, Wheaton, Wesleyan).  However, the potential is there to make a nice run towards the top.  It will be interesting.

True Basketball Fan

I know that Tinkoff has been struggling with injuries this past year.  If she is not healthy this year, then that would definitely change the fortune of NC this season, probably keeping them from the CCIW tourney.

True Basketball Fan

The coaches poll was out a few days ago.

1.  Millikin
2.  Wheaton
3.  IWU
4.  North Central
5.  Elmhurst
6.  Carthage
7.  Augustana
8.  North Park

No surprises........however, I think Wheaton is going to win the league this year.  I also think there will be 3, maybe 4 teams ranked in the Top 25 this season at some point.  Three teams could get into the NCAA tourney this year.

Gregory Sager

You got the poll wrong, TBF. It's:

1) Millikin - 48 (6)
2) Wheaton - 44 (2)
3) Illinois Wesleyan - 36
4) North Central - 31
5) Elmhurst - 25
6) Carthage - 18
7) North Park - 15
8) Augustana - 7
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Saw in the Ann Arbor News today that Emily Hanley from Bloomington has signed with Eastern Michigan, but they gave few details (6'1" PF, 15 ppg and 9rpg as a junior, conference POY).

Can anyone add to this info?  Anyone know if IWU recruited her, or was she clearly going d1 from the get-go?

regentfan1

Weaton will be hard pressed to finish 2nd, Rockford had them down by 10 at half the other night. Weaton won by a couple. They were a lot better team last year.