FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: wildcat11 on February 21, 2013, 11:59:01 PM
Quote from: Langhorst_Ghost on February 21, 2013, 12:54:05 PM

In D3, you definitely have to get creative with some of the promotional/recruiting tools - both the birds seem to be putting together some cool things!

I agree and thanks to the 'Cards for some source material!
Creative, yes, self-serving nonsense-no. I am not talking about the Linfield videos yet, as they are blocked from my work computer.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

79jaybird

Congratulations to assistant coach Ron Tyner who has been given a fantastic opportunity. Wish Ron the best.
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

USee

Based on who has what coming back and my assessment of the state of the programs, here is my early prediction for order of finish for the CCIW next year:

1-North Central: Key returners (Dierking-db, Fick-DL, Tripp-DL, Douglas-DB/Werkheiser-OL, Whalen-OL, O'kane-WR, Sorenson-WR, Stanek-QB); key losses: (Mitchell-db, Michals-LB, Kukuc-RB, Tassio-RB, Rasch-K)
2-Wheaton: key returners (Dykstra-DT, Anderson-LB/Hiben-WR,Clark-OL, Roberts-QB, Swider-KR,Cote-P); key losses: (Cook-DB, Dandsdill-LB, Vanheest-LB, McReynolds-DB/Cook-WR, Peterson-OL, Davis-OC)
3-IWU: Key returners (Gallik-QB, Stinde-RB, Garvey-WR, Mulcahy-OL/Bolden-DB, McGinnis-DB, Klein-LB); Key losses: (Carroll-TE, Mussleman-WR, Cunningham-DL)
4-Augustana: Key returners (Westerberg-POY/LB, McIntyre-DL/Chandler-RB, Snow-WR); Key losses: (Kautz-OL, Draminski-LB)
5-Elmhurst: Key returners (Gabrys-OL); key losses (everybody else)
6-Millikin Key returners: (Whitaker-OL); Key losses (Tobey-WR, Holmes-QB, Moore-LB)
7-Carthage Key losses (Merucci-DL, Mecozzi-LB)
8-NPUkey losses: (Pethel-HC)

79jaybird

Usee-We are pretty close and appear to be on the same wavelength. Here is/was my take-
1) NORTH CENTRAL
2) IWU
3) WHEATON
4) ELMHURST
5) MILLIKIN
6) AUGIE
7) CARTHAGE
8) NORTH PARK

NCF

Quote from: USee on March 01, 2013, 03:30:11 PM
Based on who has what coming back and my assessment of the state of the programs, here is my early prediction for order of finish for the CCIW next year:

1-North Central: Key returners (Dierking-db, Fick-DL, Tripp-DL, Douglas-DB/Werkheiser-OL, Whalen-OL, O'kane-WR, Sorenson-WR, Stanek-QB); key losses: (Mitchell-db, Michals-LB, Kukuc-RB, Tassio-RB, Rasch-K)
2-Wheaton: key returners (Dykstra-DT, Anderson-LB/Hiben-WR,Clark-OL, Roberts-QB, Swider-KR,Cote-P); key losses: (Cook-DB, Dandsdill-LB, Vanheest-LB, McReynolds-DB/Cook-WR, Peterson-OL, Davis-OC)
3-IWU: Key returners (Gallik-QB, Garvey-WR, Mulcahy-OL/Bolden-DB, McGinnis-DB, Klein-LB); Key losses: (Carroll-TE, Mussleman-WR, Cunningham-DL)
4-Augustana: Key returners (Westerberg-POY/LB, McIntyre-DL/Chandler-RB, Snow-WR); Key losses: (Kautz-OL, Draminski-LB)
6-Millikin Key returners: (Whitaker-OL); Key losses (Tobey-WR, Holmes-QB, Moore-LB)
Hmmmmm...Usee picking North Central to win their 8th straight conference title next season  when Wheaton has Roberts and Hiben coming back and NC plays IWU and Wheaton on the road next yr? Seems strange :):)
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

izzy stradlin

3-IWU: Key returners (Gallik-QB, Garvey-WR, Mulcahy-OL/Bolden-DB, McGinnis-DB, Klein-LB); Key losses: (Carroll-TE, Mussleman-WR, Cunningham-DL)

Wheaton key losses:  Joe Davis -OC?    I missed this news.  Where is he going.

oldnuthin

Quote from: izzy stradlin on March 01, 2013, 07:25:13 PM

Shippensburg (D-II - PA): We have learned that Wheaton College (D-III - IL) offensive coordinator Joe Davis has accepted the offensive coordinator job at Shippensburg. Davis was also a finalist for the James Madison (FCS) offensive coordinator position.

Their prior OC is now the OC at OSU, so congrats to Coach Davis, he is on a fast track.

Langhorst_Ghost

3-IWU: Key returners (Gallik-QB, Stinde-RB, Garvey-WR, Mulcahy-OL/Bolden-DB, McGinnis-DB, Klein-LB); Key losses: (Carroll-TE, Mussleman-WR, Cunningham-DL)

Well...that's certainly one way to break it down - 8th in the Nation to 5th in the Conference.  And here i was worried that the Jays would have a difficult transitioning from hunter to hunted - but as observed above, EC should be pretty comfortable assuming their usual predicted position as CCIW "also-rans."

Vince Gabrys, by the way, is not an offensive lineman.  He is the first-team all conference and third team all-region tight end.
It's a Great Day to be a Jay!

shepherd

IMHO:  I believe the coaches poll will have Wheaton as #1 with either NCC or IWU #2.   I have Wheaton #1 a top five team in the nation regardless of the two coaches  with IWU #2 if Galik is healthy.   If not this year then when.  This is Wheatons year.  NCC has no compatible replacements at rb for the two losses.  Matt Randolph has shown no inkling that he will be the player he was in hs one of the best open field runners.  Except against the Wheaton North defense headed by a middle lb named  Mike Swider.  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-07/sports/ct-spt-1008-prep-foot-naper-cent-wheaton-north-20111007_1_wheaton-north-johnny-daniels-dupage-valley
I really thought that unless Randolph got faster he would not be the open field runner he was.  Also I believe the Thunder as of right now had the best overall talent on the JV team.  There were some really good players on that squad.  Just my opinion but I really cannot see the coaches poll having anything but Wheaton as #1 in the CCIW.

79jaybird

One reason why I think many people put EC in the middle of the pack, and not at/near the top is the fact Elmhurst has never really had much depth.  Look at Carthage a few years back. I think Elmhurst is very similar to that team which won the conference, graduated some exceptional talents, and then really receded back to the middle or bottom of the ladder.  I have Elmhurst in the middle not necessarily because of who graduated, but rather the new HC regime usually has a 1-2 year span of learning the new regime.  Very few coaches can pick up right where the outgoing coach left off.

blue_jays

Quote from: oldnuthin on March 04, 2013, 01:31:45 PM
Quote from: izzy stradlin on March 01, 2013, 07:25:13 PM

Shippensburg (D-II - PA): We have learned that Wheaton College (D-III - IL) offensive coordinator Joe Davis has accepted the offensive coordinator job at Shippensburg. Davis was also a finalist for the James Madison (FCS) offensive coordinator position.

Their prior OC is now the OC at OSU, so congrats to Coach Davis, he is on a fast track.

The loss of Coach Davis is a huge one for Wheaton. His play calling was tailored directly to Jordan Roberts' strengths and they've had one of the nation's top offenses as a result the last few years. Shaking it up with a brand new OC from the outside takes some getting used to (ex. Davis taking over for Tim Hardy back in 2009). Whoever the new OC ends up being, they just gotta know where their bread is buttered: get the ball to Mark Hiben and let the best WR in the country do the rest.

USee

Quote from: Langhorst_Ghost on March 04, 2013, 02:43:39 PM

Well...that's certainly one way to break it down - 8th in the Nation to 5th in the Conference.  And here i was worried that the Jays would have a difficult transitioning from hunter to hunted - but as observed above, EC should be pretty comfortable assuming their usual predicted position as CCIW "also-rans."

Vince Gabrys, by the way, is not an offensive lineman.  He is the first-team all conference and third team all-region tight end.

From 3rd in the conference to 5th. And they were 3rd in large part to the injuries to IWU or they would have been 4th. So 5th shouldn't be that surprising, especially given who Elmhurst has lost. How many all conference players are returning for the Jays? You tell me who they have coming back that will replace the best RB in the nation and 4 of 5 3 year starters on the offensive line? I am all ears.

Also, Gabrys was a TE for a team that ran the ball 45x a game with the Gagliardi winner as a RB. He was a blocking TE on a running team. Same thing as an OL in my book.

USee

Quote from: Go Thunder on March 05, 2013, 12:57:01 AM

IMHO:  I believe the coaches poll will have Wheaton as #1 with either NCC or IWU #2.   I have Wheaton #1 a top five team in the nation regardless of the two coaches  with IWU #2 if Galik is healthy.   If not this year then when.  This is Wheatons year.  NCC has no compatible replacements at rb for the two losses.  Matt Randolph has shown no inkling that he will be the player he was in hs one of the best open field runners.  Except against the Wheaton North defense headed by a middle lb named  Mike Swider.  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-07/sports/ct-spt-1008-prep-foot-naper-cent-wheaton-north-20111007_1_wheaton-north-johnny-daniels-dupage-valley
I really thought that unless Randolph got faster he would not be the open field runner he was.  Also I believe the Thunder as of right now had the best overall talent on the JV team.  There were some really good players on that squad.  Just my opinion but I really cannot see the coaches poll having anything but Wheaton as #1 in the CCIW.

I think you need to change your meds again. Zero chance Wheaton is picked as #1. NCC has the most talent returning by a long margin. I think Wheaton and IWU are a toss up for #2/#3. It really depends on IWU's ability to replace their DLine and how healthy Stinde and Gallik are at the start of the season. If all those pieces come together, I can see the Titans as a strong #2 and a challenger for the conference title, especially since they host both NCC and Wheaton this fall.

Langhorst_Ghost

Quote from: USee on March 05, 2013, 11:24:11 AM
Quote from: Langhorst_Ghost on March 04, 2013, 02:43:39 PM

From 3rd in the conference to 5th. And they were 3rd in large part to the injuries to IWU or they would have been 4th. So 5th shouldn't be that surprising, especially given who Elmhurst has lost. How many all conference players are returning for the Jays? You tell me who they have coming back that will replace the best RB in the nation and 4 of 5 3 year starters on the offensive line? I am all ears.

Also, Gabrys was a TE for a team that ran the ball 45x a game with the Gagliardi winner as a RB. He was a blocking TE on a running team. Same thing as an OL in my book.

Usee, i enjoy your perspective.  I especially enjoyed your prediction last offseason:

"Elmhurst has the most returning starters in the league including 4 OL to make holes for the best RB in the conference Scottie Williams. If Elmhurst is going to make a move on the top 3 this is the year. they open conference play at night in Naperville and get both Wheaton and IWU at home. It wouldn't surprise me if they beat 1 or more of those 3 teams this year." - right on point.

To answer your first question - the total number of all-CCIW returners is one (out of nine) - the afore mentioned Gabrys (your 5'9" 185 lb offensive lineman that caught 29 balls and went over 600 total yards).  Going into this year, it was four.

To answer your second question - no one player can replace the CCIW's 2nd all-time leading rusher - but this is college football, kids graduate, reloading the barrel is part of the deal.  Likely Scottie's brother Josh, Andrew Tubek, and James Richardson will all need to contribute (along with TE/Flex Backs Gabrys and Tom Lindall) to match the Gagliardi winner's production.  The O-Line will be fine, two starters return and both are all-conference quality, competition will determine the other three spots.  Thanks in large part to Coach Adam's effective recruiting efforts and drastically improved retention, depth of talent is now a strength for this program.

Trust me, these Jays relish the role of little brother - overlooked and undervalued is exactly where these Jays gain their motivation.  2012 was all about playing with a chip on their shoulder and with a lunch bucket attitude - that mentality has carried over, and strengthened from 2012 to 2013.

NCC is always legit, Wheaton i am sure will be great (they were good in 2012...not good enough at Langhorst  ;)), and IWU should be right there as well...but don't write off the Jays.  This is a program being built at Langhorst, not simply a collection of individuals.  Should be another fun season in the CCIW.
It's a Great Day to be a Jay!