WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Update from Guilford (Final):

McMurry led 43-34 at the half.
Ten lead changes with the last having McMurry going ahead 23-20 with 6:40 left in the first half.  McMurry pulls away 23-14 from that 20-20 tie to end the half.

McMurry stats in the first half:
FG 47% 3FG 58% (7-12)
Second half:
FG 50% 3FG 28% (2-7)

Oneonta State
FG 52% 3FG 33%
Second half:
17%  3FGs 0-8 but 16-18 on FT's.
Apparently, McMurry's defense had Oneonta State exhausted.

Two double doubles for McMurry:

Tarra Richardson -- 21 points and 11 boards
Symbri Tuttle -- 10 points and 10 assists in 31 minutes.  (The assists were given by the Guilford SID, the official scorer.)
Maigen Sawyer -- 16 points.
Off the bench -- 22 points.
Fast Break -- 10 points.

McMurry had 5 freshmen on the floor to finish the game.

All 13 players played.  McMurry had 10 players score and 8 had double digit minutes.

sethhpu

HPU 76 TU 45 FINAL, Ref was taken to the ER no news, scary incident.
Defense wins championships

dballa

Great game tonight by the Lady Jackets.  Coach K's squad sure looked like a conference champion out there tonight.  Trinity has some really good shooters and some good post play inside but HPU controlled the game from the start.

Everybody's thoughts and prayers need to go out to Paul Simms(sp?) and his family tonight.  It was definitely a scary situation.  Neither team wanted to finish the game and wanted to end it as is since HPU was up by quite a bit late in the game.  But for the game to count they would have to finish it tonight or finish another time.  Since Trinity plays HSU tomorrow night it was best to go ahead and get it over with.

I wouldn't be surprised if HSU beat Trinity pretty easily Saturday night.  I just don't think they'll be able to get back in the frame of mind to play a good game of basketball the day after what happened tonight.

Ralph Turner

One of the highlights for the McMurry Women's basketball team at the Guilford Tip-off Tourney is to get an excellent lecture on the Batttle of Guilford Courthouse by McM History porfessor Bob Wetteman whose Master's thesis was on that battle.

He should bring that portion of history alive for them.

Travel safely! ;)

Ralph Turner

Great game by McMurry today.  78-44 win over Guilford.

We were able to shut down their outside game.

Tarra Richardson had 25 points and was MVP.  Tuttle and Sawyer make the All-tourney team.

Symbri Tuttle only played 19 minutes and had 5 assists before giving way to 2 freshmen backup PG's

Four players had 8 points (Sawyer, Nelson, Horton and Sandra Lewis)

mcmfan

So was the team inspired by Dr. Wettemann's lecture?  He could have a new job as official pre-game lecturer for the rest  of the season!
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mcmfan on November 18, 2006, 08:51:19 PM
So was the team inspired by Dr. Wettemann's lecture?  He could have a new job as official pre-game lecturer for the rest  of the season!

If he is so good that he needs to refresh his notes on the creation of the game of basketball for a McMurry women's appearance in Springfield, MA next March, then so be it! :)

thundercat

HSU 84 Trinity 67.  Looks like Trinity had a tough weekend!  Could their hype be done?  These two losses will be haunting them all season.  Time to being the uphill battle!

mcmfan

One of my HSU friends watched the Cowgirls take apart Trinity.  He said Trinity didn't look like they were ready to start the season and didn't even manage a score for the first three or four minutes.  The Cowgirls, on the other hand, he described as looking ready to take on anyone.  He especially noted the defense, which repeatedly blocked Trinity shots or intercepted their passes.  Jeni Hobbs, a transfer from Stetson, a D1 school, replaced Sonya West in the starting lineup.  This report is from an HSU fan, of course, but it looks like another tough HSU team for the coming season.
Alacumba!

Rob Don

8) nice way to "30 piece 'em"  Jackets!  :o   lets take it on the road to Ozark! ;D

Ralph Turner

Ozarks lost to John Carroll from the OAC, picked to finish 7th of 10 in that very strong conference, but defeated North Central, picked to finish 5th in the CCIW, a respectable conference.

This should be a good game to measure the ASC-East.

dballa

Regarding the Trinity/HSU game.  I don't know how accurate it could be.  Trinity played a tough game against HPU the night before in which they saw a referee go down with a seizure and a lot of them got sick and were emotionally upset.  I'm sure that took a lot out of them playing back to back games against Top 25 teams.

HPU routed them and played a great game, which i'm excited to see, but Trinity still has some really good plays and has a good team.  They play tough hard nosed defense and rebound very well.  I just don't know how much energy they would have had after playing HPU the night before.

pirateonthebrazos

Quote from: dballa on November 19, 2006, 11:34:43 PM
Regarding the Trinity/HSU game.  I don't know how accurate it could be.  Trinity played a tough game against HPU the night before in which they saw a referee go down with a seizure and a lot of them got sick and were emotionally upset.  I'm sure that took a lot out of them playing back to back games against Top 25 teams.

HPU routed them and played a great game, which i'm excited to see, but Trinity still has some really good plays and has a good team.  They play tough hard nosed defense and rebound very well.  I just don't know how much energy they would have had after playing HPU the night before.

dballa.....let's not give HSU any credit for soundly defeating Trinity Saturday after HPU defeated them Friday nite.    Maybe Trinity should just forfiet to UMHB tonight since they have been routed by 2 top 25 teams in a row and don't have any energy left.

inthepaint

Quote from: pirateonthebrazos on November 20, 2006, 10:53:24 AM
Quote from: dballa on November 19, 2006, 11:34:43 PM

dballa.....let's not give HSU any credit for soundly defeating Trinity Saturday after HPU defeated them Friday nite.    Maybe Trinity should just forfiet to UMHB tonight since they have been routed by 2 top 25 teams in a row and don't have any energy left.

Great insight.  Gosh, we might as well crown HPU the conference champs now. 

No team beaten by HPU can play well is a subsequent game.  Man-law?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: dballa on November 17, 2006, 10:15:19 PM
Great game tonight by the Lady Jackets.  Coach K's squad sure looked like a conference champion out there tonight.  Trinity has some really good shooters and some good post play inside but HPU controlled the game from the start.

Everybody's thoughts and prayers need to go out to Paul Simms(sp?) and his family tonight.  It was definitely a scary situation.  Neither team wanted to finish the game and wanted to end it as is since HPU was up by quite a bit late in the game.  But for the game to count they would have to finish it tonight or finish another time.  Since Trinity plays HSU tomorrow night it was best to go ahead and get it over with.

I wouldn't be surprised if HSU beat Trinity pretty easily Saturday night.  I just don't think they'll be able to get back in the frame of mind to play a good game of basketball the day after what happened tonight.

In all fairness to the Trinity and HPU players, dballa's post at 9:15 pm on Friday night, immediately after the game, shows a degree of concern for the ref.  That was pretty significant.  I cannot remember the last time I saw a basketball game stopped for a medical emergncy like that.

Let's see what Trinity does in the rest of the season. :)