FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: Li'l Giant on January 04, 2016, 01:14:04 PM
The Gators have made their hire of BJ Hammer official. Best of luck, Coach. Except when you play us, of course.  ;)

Not too many guys get to walk into a good situation in their first head coaching gig. It'll be interesting to see what he can make of the Gators mess...

sigma one

This is BJ's second head-coaching opportunity.  Before he returned to Wabash, he was head coach at Whittier.
     Sorry to see him leave his alma mater, but happy for him and his family  He deserves another shot at leading a program.  The Gator players  better be ready for the kind of hard work he will demand.   
     I'm sure Wabash will attract a strong pool of candidates to replace him. 

wabco

Congratulations BJ.  May the force be with you.  Looking for a third team to beat bumps on Witt ... and now you are it.

jknezek

Quote from: sigma one on January 04, 2016, 02:15:26 PM
This is BJ's second head-coaching opportunity.  Before he returned to Wabash, he was head coach at Whittier.

+K for the correction

firstdown

Coach Hammer and Allegheny 's great running back Shane Reem had quite a duel in the Wabash vs Allegheny game in 2000. 

DPU3619

Really happy for BJ. I've seen him speak several times. He's been very helpful to me and my team's staff.

He's one of those guys that you always learn something from every time you talk to him. I hung on every word at the Glazier Clinic a couple years ago and I don't even coach defense.

wally_wabash

Don't have to wait too long for the homecoming game- Coach Hammer's Gators (that's weird to type) visit the Hollett in Game 2 this fall. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Quote from: firstdown on January 04, 2016, 02:38:29 PM
Coach Hammer and Allegheny 's great running back Shane Reem had quite a duel in the Wabash vs Allegheny game in 2000.

That game was NUTS.  Play of that game- BJ forces Shane Ream to fumble on his way into the end zone.  BJ picks up said fumble, "runs" 90+ yards with it and gets tackled at the Gator 1.  Knott cleaned that up for the TD. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

DadofBashWarrior..

Seems that replacing BJ is not an easy fix...I wish him well as head coach...Would it be disrespectful to refer to him as Gatoraid?

Li'l Giant

Quote from: jknezek on January 04, 2016, 01:34:15 PM
Quote from: Li'l Giant on January 04, 2016, 01:14:04 PM
The Gators have made their hire of BJ Hammer official. Best of luck, Coach. Except when you play us, of course.  ;)

Not too many guys get to walk into a good situation in their first head coaching gig. It'll be interesting to see what he can make of the Gators mess...

Second gig or not he has a lot of work to do. I'm sure he and the staff he assembles will be good. But they need players that can physically hang with Wabash and Witt. He'll need to work hard on recruiting.

Quote from: wally_wabash on January 04, 2016, 02:57:43 PMPlay of that game- BJ forces Shane Ream to fumble on his way into the end zone.  BJ picks up said fumble, "runs" 90+ yards with it and gets tackled at the Gator 1.

That was pre-video webcast days. I recall that being described on WNDY as "the piano dropped on Hammer's back at the 1".
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

jknezek

Quote from: Li'l Giant on January 04, 2016, 03:43:44 PM

Second gig or not he has a lot of work to do. I'm sure he and the staff he assembles will be good. But they need players that can physically hang with Wabash and Witt. He'll need to work hard on recruiting.

Agreed. But that may not be his writ either. With the Gators recent history he may simply need to go .500 to make his bosses very happy. Not every coach is set the goal of winning a conference or playing for a national championship. I know Alleghany's glory years would have you believe that is the target, but I'm guessing Coach Hammer will find administrative favor with much more accessible goals. Beating Witt and Wabash is a different animal.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: jknezek on January 04, 2016, 03:50:08 PM
Quote from: Li'l Giant on January 04, 2016, 03:43:44 PM

Agreed. But that may not be his writ either. With the Gators recent history he may simply need to go .500 to make his bosses very happy. Not every coach is set the goal of winning a conference or playing for a national championship. I know Alleghany's glory years would have you believe that is the target, but I'm guessing Coach Hammer will find administrative favor with much more accessible goals. Beating Witt and Wabash is a different animal.

Perhaps we're both right. I'm sure there are short-term and long-term goals. Short-term, sure .500 is a vast improvement that the administration may be tickled with. Long term? I would imagine they (and he) want more. But, I'm not in the room when they discussed these things so I don't know.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Rotag

I like this hire.  It restores (to some degree) my faith in the administration and the AD;  he's played and coached the game successfully at this level (and in this conference), he's got head coaching experience and he's enthusiastic about being here.  Now they have to support him in his recruitment efforts, something that frankly concerns me.  Nonetheless, the fact that they didn't go out and hire some frisbee football coach from Southern California, but committed to someone who appears to be a Football Guy, is a step in the right direction.  And I do NOT think that .500 is the goal - not for Alumni, and I'd bet certainly not for Coach Hammer.

sigma one

BJ and his coaches need to rent an apartment in Pittsburgh and recruit the h--l out of the WPIAL.  Allegheny had too few quality, and too few total, western PA players on their roster this year.   Despite the competition from other colleges, there's still talent to be had if he can  convince recruits to overlook the last three years of futility.  New coach; new approach; new era:   he can sell that, I believe, because he is an excellent recruiter.  Of course, his assistants need to do a lot of the leg work, too.  It will be interesting to see how he organizes his staff.  I am sure that was a topic of discussion on his way to the new job.   

Joe Wally

Knew it would eventually happen, and I'm happy for B.J., but dadgummit, this stinks!