Around the Nation board

Started by Pat Coleman, September 22, 2005, 03:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

Quote from: wesleydad on November 26, 2008, 07:30:50 PM
keith, i am not going to send it email, i will put it here for all to read.  no matter whether i agree or disagree with any of you on this site, you guys do a great job.  your insight is based on what you know which is more than most of us do about so many of the teams.  the fact that some can not handle it when you or pat or ryan pick against their team just shows how petty they are.  i have been on this site for the last 3 years and you guys have been nothing but professional in your dealings with anything that has had to do with wesley.  sometimes you have picked against them and been wrong, other times you have been way too correct.  it is a shame that some people take all of this personal, when it is nothing more than a couple of peoples educated opinions on a game.  keep up the good work and i hope that you guys never change how you go about putting out your opinions.  i say that before you make your picks for this weekend and if you pick against wesley, everything i just said is a lie.  ;)

Now that's funny.

I mean honestly I post stuff up here not looking for sympathy so much, although I appreciate the kind words here and everywhere we stop throughout the season.

Part of it I guess is to share the kind of feedback we get, part is to demonstrate how NOT to craft a response that will get addressed seriously. Certainly most of you reading this thread are the kind of folks who if they had an issue would present it to one of us in a way where we could give you an honest answer and at best make the change you wish to see and at worst agree to disagree.

Also though I post the exchanges because if I go to the trouble to craft a response, a lot of the stuff in there might answer the questions for people who have similar gripes.

Anyway, thanks for reading & contributing.

As for this week's picks, I have no idea which way I'm going to go on some of them.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

janesvilleflash

I wouldn't pick Hobart, just trying to help.
If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

K-Mack

About time to give this one a rest:

QuoteK-Mack: The Mount Union of the message board :)

It was good to me over the years though.

I see a lot of others' sig lines I really like.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: K-mack's new sigK-Mack: The low-budget, non-scholarship Kirk Herbstreit

LMAO!  Tho maybe you need to add "under appreciated" given some of the snarky emails you get.    ;)

Ralph Turner

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4102.2069

NCAA playoff sponsored road trips versus the usual school sponsored roadtrip.

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 27, 2008, 04:25:44 PM
http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4102.2069

NCAA playoff sponsored road trips versus the usual school sponsored roadtrip.

Addressed like so:

Quote from: K-Mack on November 28, 2008, 07:50:20 PM
Quote from: Teamski on November 26, 2008, 12:06:33 AM
Quote from: footballfan12 on November 25, 2008, 11:37:08 PMInterested to hear what others have to say. Especially the guys that think a coach would bus his players 8+ hours for a playoff game....

Um..... the NCAA will only fly teams if the distance is over 500 miles.  So, yeah, a coach may have to bus his team 8 hours if he wants them to play. 

In case this isn't totally clear, the NCAA picks up the tab for ALL playoff travel. (a major difference between Division III and NAIA, where schools foot their own bill)

The NCAA's deal is this: They pay for 52 players and 10 coaches/support staff. If the game is more than 500 miles away, they will fly you. If it is less than, they will pay for your buses. Included is per diem for meals, etc.

UMHB and Millsaps are famously close to the 500-mile limit. You might run a search on MapQuest or Google maps and get over 500, and if you use the NCAA's approved mileage calculating software wrong, as it is assumed the committee did when building the brackets in 2006, you could get more than 500. If you use it correctly, you get 491.

That explain it?
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Quote from: K-Mack on November 27, 2008, 04:34:54 AM

Here are some ... these are at least good board wisdom.
janesville flashIf you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

hscoach
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

dc_has_been
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Gro's Purple Drank of course is my current No. 1 :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

HScoach

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

'gro

Quote from: K-Mack on November 28, 2008, 08:01:50 PM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 27, 2008, 04:34:54 AM

Here are some ... these are at least good board wisdom.
janesville flashIf you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

hscoach

dc_has_been
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

Gro's Purple Drank of course is my current No. 1 :)

Sadly purple drank will have to be retired soon...

K-Mack

Quote from: 'gro on November 29, 2008, 06:59:19 PM

Where's your savvy, son? Recommission that bad boy for Mount Union, UMHB, UWW ... too bad Millsaps fell off. Purple is the color of the postseason ... maybe it's that drank!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 'gro on November 23, 2008, 09:52:23 AM
Quote from: K-Mack on November 23, 2008, 05:13:39 AM
Do I regret the sentiment of what I wrote? No. We made the decision when we started the site that it would not be the Yearbook Club. We don't only share happy thoughts.

Hahaha, yearbook club.

Listening to Brent Musburger prattle about the Big XII during OU-Okie State game...

It reminds me of "Yearbook Club"!  :D

K-Mack

These are reposted from the Dose, but usually stuff gets lost there after a new post goes up. i.e. no one reads the Triple Take comments after the Game Day thread is up.

Met a lot of good folks when I visited with the Franklin crowd at Otterbein. Wouldn't be surprised if these guys were among them.

Franklin had great fans, for sure, so these posts are not their best representatives. But since they stay with the theme on the ATN board lately:

QuoteD3Keith Says:
November 29th, 2008 at 9:07 pm e

I'm kicking myself for having no [g]uts on Franklin. I definitely almost made that pick, but I was one of the first to be really impressed with North Central too. I had a feeeling Franklin would be in the game and would go score-for-score with NC, but I didn't forsee the Griz W.

Felt that W&J would matchup with Millsaps for a while too, but definitely didn't foresee the running game exposing the Majors so much ... nice win there.

Keith 5-3 (missed with North Central, Wesley and Millsaps)
Ryan 5-3 (missed with North Central, Wesley and Millsaps)
Pat 4-4 (missed with Willamette, North Central, Curry and Millsaps)

AndrewChrz 5-3 (missed with North Central, Wesley and Millsaps)
UMHBFAN 5-3 (missed with Monmouth, Wabash and Curry)
bleedpurple 5-3 (missed with Wabash, Wesley and Millsaps)

Everyone hit some, no one hit 'em all ... UMHB fan was almost going to give you props for going out on a limb, but you basically took everyone the experts didn't take and still ended up 5-3.

We all did better than the NCAA committee:

Higher seeds 3-5 (missed with North Central, Millsaps, Willamette, Monmouth, Wabash)

QuoteGRIZ82 Says:
November 30th, 2008 at 12:24 am e

Well, I tried to tell ya......
Goodnite, Wheaton.......

Oh yeah, I forgot....

Nice classless fans for NC....you might be able to steal stuff from our tailgate during the second half, while we were kicking your over rated behinds...but

We will fly our flag when we want, and where we want, and today, the blue and gold flies in Naperville.

Quotegrizfan4 Says:
November 30th, 2008 at 11:38 am e

Please D3.com guys ... pick Wheaton this week !! You've written Franklin off every week ... don't change now !! Side note - at least North central had some fans show up — Otterbein should never host a game again after their over-confident fans didn't even show up in round 1 !!

QuoteD3Keith Says:
November 30th, 2008 at 7:10 pm e

:roll eyes:

There's a big difference between not picking a team and writing them off. I wrote a very complimentary feature about Franklin and was very impressed with their play against Otterbein; Just so happens I was very impressed with North Central too. It was a toss-up for me, but you gotta pick someone if you actually man up and make picks.

First-round sites are rewards for the teams that earn them (in the selection committee's eyes) and fan attendance has nothing to do with it, nor should it. Otterbein has a huge grandstand that made their home crowd look smaller than it was, and doesn't have a very lengthy history of being good in football, so an average-sized crowd is understandable and doesn't really indicate overconfidence. I'm sure it was very similar when Franklin first started its rise.

Pretty sure I'll be picking Franklin this week, sorry to disappoint. 

Also,
Just for the record, the rest of us who have no stake in the fight regard accusations of "classless" fans with a grain of salt. A) it usually takes two to tango and B) one man's classlessness is another man's 'what's wrong with that?'

Your post doesn't exactly reek of class either.

Also,
I'll never understand why people think calling another team overrated is an insult. If North Central was overrated, that means it really wasn't that great of an accomplishment for Franklin to beat them.

Nice one!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

usee

Thanks Keith. Some of these guys haven't had the chance to pay attention to football in December so they are understandably exuberant about their team. No doubt winning on the road at Otterbein and at North Central is impressive. If they can beat a pretty good Wheaton team at home they will earn the ultimate reward....an all expense paid trip to the purple altar in Alliance Ohio.

Given the common opponent results w Wheaton (Trine/NCC) I wouldn't be too quick to pick Franklin. You can be sure the Wheaton coaches will treat Franklin with the utmost respect but they will be prepared for Rupp and company.

'gro

Quote from: K-Mack on November 29, 2008, 08:38:02 PM
Quote from: 'gro on November 29, 2008, 06:59:19 PM

Where's your savvy, son? Recommission that bad boy for Mount Union, UMHB, UWW ... too bad Millsaps fell off. Purple is the color of the postseason ... maybe it's that drank!

You gotta earn the title!  Frankly, those teams - with all their recent championships or stagg bowl apperances - are too high class for the drank... it shall be reserved for the underappreciated and scrappy (although I wouldn't be surprised if some UWW fans have purple drank T-shirts if they make the stagg, those crazy state school kids).  You see, purple drank is not just a beverage, it's a state of mind.

labart96

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but thought I'd put it out there.  Below is a direct quote from today's Ivan Maisel BCS column on ESPN.com. 

These guys (still) just don't get it:

A playoff is not the panacea to cure college football's ills. A playoff would present as many problems as it does solutions. A playoff is politically unfeasible unless the regular season is shortened, which is financially unfeasible. A playoff could suck the life out of the regular season, much as it has done to college basketball.

A playoff wouldn't ratchet up the tension throughout November -- National College Football Arguing Month -- the way the BCS does.

I don't recall there not being any "tension" throughout this November.  My "home conference", the LL for instance, wasn't wrapped up until the last regular season game.  The play-off format in D3 only added to, not "suck the life out of" Hobart's regular season.  Whatever.

Jeez.....