University Athletic Association

Started by Dr.Fager, March 03, 2005, 02:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiscanton

First of all, I am really glad that D3Boards is back.

Second, I just watched Hoopsville this afternoon where Scott Peterson was on the show talking with Dave McHugh about Pool C "play-in" games where the winner most likely gets a Pool C and the loser could be out of the NCAAs.

First on that list was Chicago at Wash U on Sat. Feb. 24, 2024-- (Sorry, Dave-- Wash U already played at UChicago on January 6. Scott--please check the schedules before you come on air again as to the game site-- but at least you admitted beforehand that you did not check where the game was to be played.)

Second-- I look at my alma mater, the Brandeis women-- if they are a better team than last year, the results do not indicate it.   I personally saw my alma mater got drubbed by 51 points at NYU in the Paulson Center, and when I saw the score at the end of the first quarter when the game was practically over 10 minutes in-- I said to myself that this current year's NYU team reminded me a lot of the Wash U women's teams from 1998 to 2001 that put together an 81 game winning streak.  The 2000-01 Wash U team in their prime (Tasha Rodgers in senior year) could defeat this year's Brandeis team by 45 to 50 points in both games in league play, too-- I strongly believe it.  The old 2000-01 Janice Quinn coached NYU team in their prime could beat this year's Brandeis team by 25 to 30 points on a regular basis, too.

On the results, I saw a Brandeis team that could not stand up to Babson, Tufts, and Roger Williams-- and these teams are not as strong as they were last year, either.  I saw a Brandeis team that lost to Eastern Nazarene, and should have lost to Bridgewater State were it not for the Bears losing focus late in the game and getting overconfident.  With the exception of the Brandeis UAA win at home over Carnegie Mellon, the Brandeis women haven't broken the 60 point barrier in scoring in UAA play all season.

Okay, maybe if Brandeis was a Heartland Conf.team playing Franklin, Defiance, et al, the Judges could get some league wins, but Brandeis would not come close to beating Transylvania this season either.

Current Brandeis acting head coach Jill Latanovich has a future in putting together and coaching a successful DIII women's basketball team-- I am just not sure that it is in this league given her previous playing and coaching experience so far.

I am sick and tired of seeing my alma mater only having the talent, depth, and athleticism to win no more than 1 or 2 games in the UAA in women's hoop and only winning 5 to 6 games overall-- especially after seeing the hey-days of 2006 to 2010 when the Brandeis women made NCAA tournament appearances.

(This is on top of a fall where the Brandeis women's soccer team was only able to score 1 goal in UAA play after going 6-1-3 in non-conference play under coach Mary Shimko-- fortunately, all 7 of Brandeis's UAA Women's soccer opponents made the NCAAs and I still have confidence in the management of the Brandeis women's soccer team.)

(Also, the Brandeis women's volleyball team only regularly wins just 1 or 2 UAA matches a year, too-- but I don't focus on volleyball.)

Obviously, I do not want Carol Simon back coaching this team either, especially after seeing that investigation into her conduct being revealed by Deadspin first hand last summer and not getting any public comment from Brandeis itself.   The lack of commentary from the Brandeis adminstration on this issue is speaking volumes.

I am sorry-- but this year, I have been more focused on watching the NYU women dominate this tough UAA on live-stream during the times when women's play has been going on, and on Saturday, the NYU women will most likely become the first UAA basketball team from the Eastern Time Zone-- men or women--to go  a perfect undefeated 14-0 in UAA play.   The accomplishment will be the 8th time in UAA women's basketball history since the founding of the UAA back in 1986-87, and the start of UAA play in 1987-88.

The previous 7 perfect UAA women's basketball seasons in league play--

1.)  1989-1990:  Wash U Bears-- 14-0  (Double round-robin wins over UChicago, NYU, Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Rochester, and Emory-- single round-robin wins over CWRU and Johns Hopkins.)  Head coach:  Nancy Fahey.

2.)  1998-1999:  Wash U Bears-- 14-0  (Same schedule as the 1989-1990 season)  Head coach:  Nancy Fahey.

3.)  1999-2000:  Wash U Bears-- 15-0  (Double round-robin wins over UChicago, NYU, Brandeis, Carnegie Mellon, Rochester, Emory, and CWRU-- single round-robin win over Johns Hopkins.)   Head coach:  Nancy Fahey.

(UAA charter member Johns Hopkins leaves the UAA after the 2000-01 season to stay in the Centennial Conference.)

4.)  2001-02:  Wash U Bears-- 14-0  (First season under the current double-round robin format)--

Head coach: Nancy Fahey

5.)  2010-11:  U. Chicago Maroons-- 14-0 in UAA play.  Head coach:  Aaron Roussell
5.)  2011-12:  U. Chicago Maroons-- 14-0 in UAA play.  Head coach:  Aaron Roussell

7.)  2017-18:  U. Chicago Maroons-- 14-0 in UAA play.  Head coach:  Carissa Sain (then married as known as Carissa Sain-Knoche.)

Whereabouts of these coaches who accomplished the feat as of present:

1.)  Nancy Fahey-- member of the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame-- retired from coaching at the end of the 2021-22 season after 5 years coaching in the D-I Big Ten at Illinois.)

2.)  Aaron Roussell-- current coach of the Richmond Spiders in the D-I Atlantic 10.

3.)  Carissa Sain-- current coach of DIII Illinois Tech in the NACC.

deiscanton

I had some trouble watching the video of the NCAA DIII Women's Basketball Selection Show on ncaa.com this afternoon.  The show was loaded onto the website on time, but the recorded feed seemed to stop about 5 announced pods in, and I had to reload and start all over again. I finally finished completing my viewing of the show around 3:30 PM Eastern.   Fortunately, Youtube's NCAA Championships channel now has this selection show up as of 3:20 PM Eastern.  (The men's DIII Selection show got dropped onto Youtube as of 1:30 PM Eastern.)

Well, FYI--

The UAA got 3 teams into the women's field this year-- NYU as the AQ, with Wash U and Emory getting Pool C bids.

Due to the men's teams getting priority this year and the seeding of the resumes of the UAA teams that got Pool C bids, no UAA women's basketball teams are hosting pods this weekend.

The first pod announced on the show had NYU going to DeSales's pod in Allentown, PA.

Here is the field for the DeSales pod in Allentown, PA--

1.)  NYU Violets vs Millsaps Majors  (NCAA is flying Millsaps, the SAA AQ, to Allentown, PA to play NYU in the first round.)

2.)  Southern Virginia Knights at DeSales Bulldogs.

The seventh pod announced on the show had Wash U travelling to Carroll's pod in Waukesha, Wisconsin.

Here is the field for the pod in Waukesha, Wisconsin--

1.)  Puget Sound Loggers at Carroll Pioneers
2.)  Wash U Bears vs UW-Stout Blue Devils.

The eighth pod announced on the show had Emory travelling to Transylvania's pod in Lexington, Kentucky, where Emory could potentially be the second round opponent for Transylvania's attempt to get their 62nd straight win and take sole possession of third place for all-time consecutive game winning streaks in DIII Women's hoop.

Here is the field for the pod in Lexington, Kentucky--

1.)  Emory Eagles vs Ohio Wesleyan Battlin' Bishops.
2.)  Chatham Cougars at Transylvania Pioneers.

I watched a game or two on recorded stream of UW-Stout a few days ago.  I now need to get some info of Ohio Wesleyan and Millsaps.